Forum Index > Gear Talk > Lookout book
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Count

Count
PostMon Dec 17, 2001 11:12 pm 
I just read the book Fire Lookouts of the Northwest by Ray Kresek. This book is only available by mail from Ray, who runs the Historic Lookout Project at 123 W Westview, Spokane WA 99218 for $32.50 (includes shipping and tax). This book lists every lookout in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana. As a lookout enthusiast I've enjoyed the stories and lists for the Washington sections! I highly recommend this book for similar enthusiasts. Has lots of photos and some interesting stories too.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
-lol-

-lol-
PostMon Dec 24, 2001 9:13 am 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 11:37 am 
I've got the book "Lookouts" firewatchers of the Cascades and Olympics. Ira Spring and Byron Fish. Its a great book.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 1:26 pm 
For great, fun, stories about the Rockport area including tales from the first lookout up on Sourdough I highly recommend "Last Frontier in the North Cascades" by Will D. Jenkins. I picked up my copy at the Darrington RS, but if you do some book searches online you can find it much more cheaply.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
salish

salish
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 8:23 am 
Speaking of lookouts, a couple of buddies and I rented the Greenridge lookout near Sisters, Oregon, last summer, and it was one of the neatest things we've ever done. This is a drive-to lookout, situated 500' above the Metolius River valley on Greenridge Mountain. This lookout has a panoramic view (north to south) of Mt, Adams, Mt. Hood, Mt. Jefferson, Three Fingered Jack, and all three Sisters, as well as a couple of mountains we couldn't id. Probably one of the most beautiful views I've ever had. The lookout is 14'x14', and sits atop a 50' tower, and has a catwalk all the way around. Sleeps 4 -6 and rents for $30/night. I just rented it again for this coming June. A coworker and her family & friends rented another lookout in east-central Oregon over the Christmas holidays and had to snowshoe or cross country ski in, with supples. I'm curious to hear how her trip went next week. Even though this wasn't an isolated hike-to lookout, it was still a beautiful place with great day hikes in the area. If anyone wants to know more about these rentals just drop me a line. Regards, Salish

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 2:39 pm 
Anybody know if the Burley lookout south of Randle is available for rent?

Art is an adventure.
salish

salish
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 6:36 am 
Don't know, Stefan, but you might try looking up the "Nature of The Northwest" web page and see if it's listed as a rental, and you might also try calling the Forest Service. Regards, Salish

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.