Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wolcott's Lakes of Washington Books
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Jun 29, 2002 1:01 pm 
There are a number of copies of LoW, Vol 1, Western Washington, available at www.abebooks.com right now for cheap. A couple at $20 and one at $12.95 from Powells in PDX. Good luck finding Volume 2 (E WA) that cheap, but it's a start...

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Jun 29, 2002 1:45 pm 
So what's the story behind these books? I'm in the dark and would like to know. Thanks NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Jun 29, 2002 1:57 pm 
They were put out by the State Department of Conservation until I think the early 70s, and they catalogue by photograph and location every lake in the state. Pretty cool stuff. I'll try and remember to bring mine to the Social if anyone is interested.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Jun 29, 2002 4:19 pm 
Allison, neat books, kind of the Bible of mountain lake lovers. Another neat feature these books had was the type of fish in the lakes, when they were planted, depth of the lakes and more. My W.Washington volume is paperback (1965 2nd ed.) and my E. Washington volume (1973 2nd ed.) is hardback. I believe I bought them separately several years apart but both were very helpful (and still are) I'm just curious if your books are like mine, paperback/hardback. smile.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Jun 29, 2002 7:17 pm 
Mine are the 1961 edition. They came hardbound ($3.50) and softbound ($2.50). I've got the hardbounds, and Volume 1 is autographed. smile.gif

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Jun 29, 2002 7:45 pm 
I corresponded in letters with Ernie back in the 1960s (showing my age here, but I am about as in good of shape as I was at 35 now 50 so beware Stefan <grin>, at any rate I have the two volumes...Volume I -1965 hardback and Volume II - 1964 hardback. However, they are in terrible shape due to use over the years...been a Trail Blazer member going on 24 years continuously but had these copies before membership. I recollect only paying about $5.00 each for them. And though the fish data has changed much, they are still a valuable text for those seeking to know further about lakes, specifically high lakes. I would also say, (like many old-time Trail Blazers knew, Ernie was a real treasure...simply a wealth of knowledge like many of the old-timers I once knew that have gone onto other worlds. (Just thought I'd relay a little about Ernie and his great books)

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 29, 2002 9:15 pm 
I have five copies (sets) (western/eastern editions) of these books. Two (sets) of which are signed by the author. I have both hard and soft bound copies. They were made between the years of 1961 to 1973. There will NEVER be updates to these books, as the eastern templet was lost in a fire in late 1974. Private pilots were commissioned to fly over the mountains of Washington state and take photos. Other than by satalite, that couldnt be realistically done today. The cost would be much to high. There were 100 western editions made to every eastern edition. The eastern editions are the really rare ones. Here's my offer. I will GIVE away a set of western/eastern edition books via drawing a name from a hat at our social that is coming up. Only those of you that do not already have a set are qualified to PLAY! So there you are. A motivation to show up at our get together! Tom Bentzen P.S., I have two ice axes to give away too. Al gets one of them though, as I ran out on her once already!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Jun 29, 2002 10:32 pm 
I am curious, where did you get the autographed copies? BJ, Did you get them signed or were they signed copies you bought, not that it really matters. Ernie passed away many years back.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 29, 2002 10:46 pm 
Mc P, they were unfortunatly later copies of the units. Being an enthusiast, I have found various ways of getting them..... TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Jun 29, 2002 10:55 pm 
That's cool anyway, I wish mine were signed by him. Somewhere down the road all the personal letters I had from him were lost, but I do remember the content of some of them. I also remember him saying, "may your legs and lungs grow stronger...thus the mountains will seem smaller." Or something along those lines...

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 29, 2002 11:03 pm 
Jesus Mc P, do you realize the IMPACT of that statement? That kind of philosophy is ledgendary~ TB

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Jun 30, 2002 12:26 am 
lake photography
Backpacker Joe wrote:
There will NEVER be updates to these books, as the eastern templet was lost in a fire in late 1974. Private pilots were commissioned to fly over the mountains of Washington state and take photos. Other than by satalite, that couldnt be realistically done today. The cost would be much to high.
BPJ, I wonder. That coastline photography project that we have in our links - Washington State Shoreline Aerial Photos - was done quite recently, and done, I think, as part of a wetlands study. That's not the sort of thing that has a lot of dollars behind it at anytime. That oblique photography setup used for the shorelines should work very well for the lakes, and might even permit getting pictures of a higher percentage of the lakes. All it would take would be suitable motivation, or even a good private backer, like you wink.gif (or Paul Allen). I'd like an updated set. I've got a signed Western Washington, and what I paid for it is embarrassing (everytime I tried to buy a cheaper copy it turned out to be already sold). Eastern Washington I got later, in better condition, at a much better price - and I think it's a more exciting book. Perhaps that's because the lakes tend to be harder to get to. For sure anybody with the interests of folks in this group will find that the Lakes greatly improves their winter evenings. agree.gif ps - Note that the LOW photo of Delta Lake is a water level shot, another version of the classic that Tom posted the other day, in spite of the fact that most of the photos in the book are aerials.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jun 30, 2002 4:26 pm 
Is there any major differences between the issues other than maybe the number of fished stocked? Do all the issues list the same lakes? Dang, wish I was going to BC after the gatherin'. Wouldn't mind a lookie see at those books. Thanks, NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Jun 30, 2002 5:09 pm 
I've got 4 copies of the western WA edition: one of each edition, 2 hardcover, one softcover, and one signed copy. I've got one copy of the eastern WA edition. The fish stocking information was never very complete and was not updated between editions. There were only 25 changes made between edition 1 and 2. They are listed on an errata sheet. Those changes were integrated into volume 3, but no other changes were made.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jun 30, 2002 6:41 pm 
Newbie Newt wrote:
Dang, wish I was going to BC after the gatherin'. Wouldn't mind a lookie see at those books.
Check your local library. They should have a copy assuming some spineless SOB hasn't stolen them mad.gif. A while back ago I was able to check out a copy of each from the Downtown Seattle Public Library, but I did notice a lot of copies were reported as "lost" at some of the other branches rant.gif.