Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Status of Fee Demo?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Sep 10, 2004 1:33 pm 
Anyone know what's going on with that bill to kill Fee Demo? It expires in 2005, right? Mainly curious whether it would be worth buying another Golden Eagle, or if I can get off with the NPS annual pass instead.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Sep 11, 2004 6:36 pm 
Quote:
The FY 2004 Interior budget included a provision to extend the recreation Fee Demo program for 15 months through December 2005. The program was set to expire in October 2004. The Administration currently seeks permanent recreation fee authority. S. 1107, introduced by Senator Thomas (R-WY) in May 2003, makes the fee program permanent in the National Park Service. The Senate approved S. 1107 in May 2004. H.R. 3283, introduced by Rep. Regula (R-OH) in October 2003, makes the program permanent for five agencies, alters fee structure, creates a new national pass, and includes provisions to recognize volunteers with passes. The House held a subcommittee hearing on HR 3283 in May. Although Fee Demo revenue helps the agencies maintain trails, repair recreational resources and facilities, and improve visitor services, the program warrants additional hearings and legislative oversight.
source I don't know if there is anything more recent than what's mentioned above. Here is the text of the bills: S.1107 H.R.3283

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Sep 16, 2004 9:21 pm 
I emailed Scott Silver at www.wildwilderness.org to see if he knew anything about the status of the bills. He said that S1107 and Hr3283 are being superceeded by a new bill that might be introduced this week. The bill is being written by the House and Senate jointly, though the effort is being lead by the House. He hadn't seen the text of the new bill but was concerned about it.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 7:58 am 
Saw this the other day, meant to post it then. cool.gif
Quote:
No parking passes needed Saturday (9/18) for forests, parks National forest lands that usually require a parking pass will be free to the public on Saturday for National Public Lands Day. Trailheads, picnic areas, boat launches and interpretive trails in the Wenatchee, Okanogan and Colville national forests and North Cascades National Park that require the Northwest Forest Pass will waive fees for that day. Other lands managed by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, Army Corps of Engineers, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and U.S. Forest Service that require a recreation pass will also be free on Saturday.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 8:22 am 
But as you're motoring down your favorite state highway, enroute to your favorite federal land, remember: it will still cost you $5 to pull off for a few minutes and use the toilet at a state park. mad.gif I've been advised that any squat inside the main gate of a state park is considered a fee-applicable use. Which brings to mind a form of protest that would have seemed much more attractive to me in my younger days. moon.gif

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 9:27 am 
jimmymac wrote:
Which brings to mind a form of protest that would have seemed much more attractive to me in my younger days. moon.gif
...and it probably would have been more attractive to viewers too, rather than if you did it now...

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
solohiker

solohiker
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 10:00 am 
I guess I'm just not getting why one would got out of the way to squat inside the boundaries of a state park ... even if it were free.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 10:12 am 
solohiker wrote:
I guess I'm just not getting why one would got out of the way to squat inside the boundaries of a state park ... even if it were free.
I believe the subject matter is the fee, not squating. He is using one of the most basic of human acts, squating, as an illustration to demonstrate how ludicrous the $5 fee is. On the other hand, jimmymac is exactly the kind of guy who just might like to squat inside the boundaries of State Parks, just for the hell of it. I'd ask him to clarify his statement, but that might just open a whole nother can of worms. So to speak. Not that anyone really opens cans of worms, that's just a way of saying it'll get very confusing.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 10:36 am 
Visualize a vehicle pulled off the highway, blocking the entrance drive to the park. See the hiker, walk up to within two inches of the front boundary line of the state park. Note the small ziplock bag. Note the absence of an orange shovel. Is this sufficiently TMI for everyone?

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Confused

Confused
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 10:44 am 
jimmymac wrote:
Visualize a vehicle pulled off the highway, blocking the entrance drive to the park. See the hiker, walk up to within two inches of the front boundary line of the state park. Note the small ziplock bag. Note the absence of an orange shovel. Is this sufficiently TMI for everyone?
...but what about the can of worms Quark said you had. She said you'd open a can of worms.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 10:46 am 
haiku to you, too
wow, am i starving jimmymac paints that picture i'm not hungry now! eck.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 1:14 pm 
You can say that again, Kleet. And so it is that the public is best served when access to the most basic of all public facilities is unencumbered. 'Ever wonder why sanicans rented by contractors are almost never locked shut after working hours? Experience has shown that locking out even an unintended, non-contributing user is a good way to get your sanican tipped over. EDIT:
Quote:
"Visitors are allowed a 10-minute restroom stop without paying a parking permit fee at most Washington state parks."
This news certainly comes as a welcomed relief. I regret being a conduit of bad information. Feel free to squat freely, fee-free at our state parks.

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 1:25 pm 
I would find is VERY VERY HARD, to build an more or less outhouse with one million of your dollars(as thet total has happened) then say if you want to use the one million dollar crapper we built with your money, it will be 5 dollars.......I could say that with a striaght face. I understand revenue needs to be generated along with tax dollars, but.......hello..

reststep

reststep
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 5:01 pm 
This is from the Washington State Parks Website:
Quote:
Question: What if I am on the road and need to stop in a state park to use the rest room? Am I required to pay the vehicle parking permit fee for the stop? Answer: Visitors are allowed a 10-minute restroom stop without paying a parking permit fee at most Washington state parks. Parks also allow access to certain park concessions without charging the parking fee.
I also saw a sign posted about this at a state park. They have a timer posted at each restroom so be quick. Just kidding about that last sentence. smile.gif smile.gif

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 8:35 pm 
Here is a letter from the president of the Western Slope No-Fee Coalition regarding the HR3283 bill.
Quote:
WESTERN SLOPE NO-FEE COALITION P.O. Box 403, Norwood, CO 81423 September 17, 2004 Dear No-Fee Supporter, Over the past three months, the House Resources Committee majority staff have been preparing their version of a permanent fee bill, by way of an amendment to Regula's HR 3283, for America's public lands. This bill or amendment has just this week been released to members of the House Resources Committee from both parties - and it may go to Resources Committee markup as early as the middle of next week (markup is where bills are amended and voted on before going to the House floor for a vote). The WSNFC has been working with Committee staff to roll back the wording and impacts of HR 3283. Although the final bill or amendment has been released, the WSNFC and Committee staff are continuing to work on wording. As a result, we are not yet ready with our bullet point comments on it - but if negotiations fail this weekend, as early as Sunday we will be following up with our most urgent and important action alert in seven years of fighting Fee Demo. We will be asking you, your family and friends to call and/or fax most of the members of the House Resources Committee asking them not to support this amendment this bill. As it stands, the 43-page bill closely resembles Rep. Ralph Regula's HR 3283 - it allows for basic and expanded fees, penalties of $5,000 for non-compliance, the new nationwide America the Beautiful Pass, and more. Rep. Regula and the Administration are both pushing this fee legislation - and Congressmen are wary of voting against a bill supported by Rep. Regula, who is set to be the chair of the House Appropriations Committee in 2005 (and who will therefore control Congress' purse strings). Only an enormous push from all sectors of the American public will shift the wording of this bill. Thanks to all that made a tremendous effort in contacting House Committee members in July. The response was huge, but we may have to do more. Thank you all for your continued support and willingness to get involved. Sincerely, Robert Funkhouser, President Western Slope No-Fee Coalition