Forum Index > Food & Grub > Grub, what do you pack?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jul 15, 2002 4:16 pm 
Damian also has quite a bag o' tricks when it comes to backcountry cooking, far beyond coffee. His modesty prevents him from singing his own praises, so I'll fill in... Items I've sampled so far when lucky enough to be around while Damian is practicing his art on his whisperlite: - Chicken Phad Thai with rice, peanut sauce, lime, cilantro, sprouts... - Steak stir fry, red peppers, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, pea pods, over cajun rice with special sauce.... - warmed yellow corn burritos stuffed with rice, cheese, onions - Maple Sausages and grilled onions And you should see him go nuts on a car camp with no weight limitations. Damian carries a pack with a weight in the legendary range, and when you see him pulling a produce section out of his pack you have to wonder, but after tasting the results I've learned to abide by his maxim: Don't question a man's art!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 15, 2002 5:45 pm 
Yep, that guy's legendary. Looking forward to NOT eating cardboard on an upcoming trip with him! cool.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jul 15, 2002 7:02 pm 
Ahhh.. Coffee, one of my 2 addictions. Simple. Starbucks ground for a French press. And the French press. Boil the water. Brew and drink. Worth the weight. and wait. Won't drink tea water coffee. NN agree.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
3fngrs

3fngrs
PostWed Jul 24, 2002 7:16 pm 
Coffee
Agreed. The Folgers tea bag type coffee taste like crap,but I've found that the Mudd coffee bags sold at REI hit the spot. Only bad thing about them is they're kind of pricey.

PostWed Jul 24, 2002 7:38 pm 
'qued'd fish at 6500' What could be better?

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Jul 26, 2002 2:25 pm 
Cowboy Coffee is the way to go, especially with a group. Here's all you have to do. Boil your water. Dump in ground coffee, let boil for as long as you wish (longer = stronger obviously). Remove from heat. Drizzle cold water over the coffee (this causes the grounds to settle to the bottom). Pour and enjoy. drink.gif Sounds crazy but it works.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
A. Diction

A. Diction
PostFri Jul 26, 2002 3:39 pm 
Newbie, you say you have 2 addictions. So what's the other one?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Nick O. Teen

Nick O. Teen
PostSat Jul 27, 2002 3:57 am 
NN frown.gif

salish

salish
PostSat Jul 27, 2002 12:08 pm 
Hey Mr. Teen
I did the zyban three years ago and stopped after 25 years/2.5 packs a day. It was actually quite easy. Good luck.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Eh? Dixon

Eh? Dixon
PostSat Jul 27, 2002 9:14 pm 
Dang, NN. C'mon, you can do it! Post it to here (to pressure yourself) and you'll have everyone rootin' for ya.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Jul 28, 2002 9:47 am 
Good Coffee - Good Meals
Boy, have I struggled finding a good cup of morning coffee in the wilderness. Tried just about everything including bringing a small French Press. Finally settled on purchasing tea bags from PCC and filling them with two tablespoon of my favorite Starbucks coffee. I just pour boiling water into my REI thermo mug and in a couple of minutes I have excellent coffee that stays good and hot until I squeeze the last drop of caffeine sludge out of the tea bag. For dinners on our extended trips we pack Lipton’s Rice & Sauce side dishes with Starkist Tuna in the pouch. Pack Pup measures out 1200 calories and vacuum seals the rice and tuna pouch with our Food Saver. Total weight for a delicious 1200-calorie meal (including packaging) is 13 ounces. It prepares in minutes and stuffs two hungry campers. Another simple to prepare meal we have come across is made by Enertia Trail Foods out of Kettering, Ohio. They Vacuum seal their meals in a cooking pouch and base them on durum semolina noodles and real dried sauces, cheeses, buttermilk, whey powder, and other natural ingredients. Because of the higher fat content, bulk is greatly reduced and 400 calories feels quite filling at just 3.5 ounces. Meals taste excellent and are prepared with adding boiling water to the cook pouch and stirring in the other ingredients after the noodles have steeped for ten minutes.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Jul 28, 2002 9:57 am 
Enertia Trail Foods
Enertia Trail Foods is on the web at WWW.Trailfoods.com. They offer a lot more that I realized and were selected number one by Backerpacker Magazine May 2002.

smokeydon

smokeydon
PostSun Jul 28, 2002 7:57 pm 
protien shakes
I take along Myoplex nutrition shakes. They are a great meal alternative and really do taste great, even with just water. It has 42 grams of protien and 28 vitamins and minerals. It really replenishes the body after a long day of hiking and enables one to leave the stove behind for summer trips. I have tried a lot of shakes and this is the only one I would drink with just plain water. Just add to a Gatorade bottle 2/3 full of water, shake for a minute or two and drink. It is even better if you have a little Milkman to add to it. It comes in several different flavors although strawberry is my favorite and can be purchased from any GNC.

salish

salish
PostSun Jul 28, 2002 8:54 pm 
Slide Alder: I took a look at that site and it looks very interesting. Do you order yours over the internet or do you buy locally (Leavenworth?)? Cliff
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
Enertia Trail Foods is on the web at WWW.Trailfoods.com. They offer a lot more that I realized and were selected number one by Backerpacker Magazine May 2002.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
brownster145

brownster145
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 12:10 am 
I take Mountain House for longer trips, but otherwise, I pack real food. You will never find me complaining about my dinner for an overnighter. Consider this: Pack an ice pack [i.e. Blue Ice] in the center of your food pocket. Surround it with premade meals, packaged in zipper bags. One of my favorites is an omlette mixture that I devised a while back. Just mix up some scrambled eggs, potatos, bacon, sausage, onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. and pour it in a ziploc bag. That breakfast is hard to beat. For dinner the night of [when trout arent available] I've taken seafood chowder, Cincinatti Chili, homemade chicken noodle soup... Basically anything thats not gonna burn up all of your fuel will work. Yeah, I've been known to carry a 50 pound pack for a two-day trip, but I've also been known to enjoy my food on those trips. For energy while on the trail, I mix my own trail mix, put gatorade powder in one of my water bottles, and chew Quench gum. But thats just me... By the way, those fish looked pretty good Pappy, but I have a question. Where can you legally have a fire at 6500' feet? Don't take that as an accusation, I really want to know. Also, [to anybody] those fire baked trout sound interesting, but I have found that if the oil is right and the trout is flowered, I can do 2 12" fish to perfection in 5 minutes. This seems faster than the baking. With a little lemon and seasoned butter, [garlic, parsley] I can't complain. When hungry, I can catch and eat a fish within 20 minutes... And I don't have to pack out fishy foil. smile.gif NN: Hey, go for it! You can do it!