Forum Index > Gear Talk > WANTED Titanium cookpot, 1.2-1.5 L
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jul 12, 2002 11:32 am 
I am looking for one of these if anyone has one they want to sell me for cheap, or PM me if you see a good deal on one somewhere.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostFri Jul 12, 2002 11:53 am 
Titanium Pot
Check out Snow Peak. They make excellent quality titanium cookware. Prices are very reasonable and the service is excellent! My wife and I use their Trek 1400 Ti. Check then out at www.snowpeak.com

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jul 12, 2002 12:31 pm 
Look like great stuff, but let me emphasize I seek and individual cookpot, most of their stuff comes in sets, and what doesn't is that weird "kettle" design, more tall than wide. I did send them an email to see if they'd sell me just one pot.

salish

salish
PostFri Jul 12, 2002 12:46 pm 
Ti Cook Pots
Allison, I was at Pro Mountain Sports yesterday and Jim Nelson had what appeared to be a single titanium cookpot with lid, all by itself on his shelf. This pot looked to be a solo size and there was no price on it. It was really light. Anyway, for what it's worth..... Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jul 12, 2002 1:16 pm 
From what I've read the Evernew pots are more efficient than the Snow Peak due to the wider / blackened base. I've got one but I'm keeping it tongue.gif. Wait a second, you have a MSR pocket rocket right? If so, I'd recommend the MSR Blacklite (aluminum) pots with the serrated bottom because nothing else seems to be very stable on the pocket rocket with its 3 teeny points of contact.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jul 12, 2002 1:38 pm 
This is the first I've heard of anyone having ANY sort of problems with a Pocket Rocket. I've had mine for over a year now, and haven't had the slightest problem with any pan slipping, ever, no matter what it was made of. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. Yes the evernwew is quite a nice pot, and if I had $45 to spare, I'd march right down to Hikey Town and buy one. But in light of work being suoer slow right now, I'm looking for something a little cheaper than that.

salish

salish
PostFri Jul 12, 2002 2:08 pm 
Aluminum?
If you want something really lightweight in the interim (before work picks up) you might want to pick up one of those cheap aluminum "Palco" scout mess kits. I bought one from Value Village last year and use the cookpot with my Esbit Wing stove. The thing weighs less than the famed Walmart grease pot and much less than most traditional backpacking cookgear (aluminum). The good deal is you can pick them up for a buck or two at most junk shops or garage sale. I bought mine for .99.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jul 12, 2002 3:01 pm 
Thanks, I already have an aluminum mess kit, and I have one of those little kettle ti pots. I'm not in the market for an aluminum MSR pot either. Once again, I am looking for a medium sized TI pot, 1.2-1.5 L, and I would like to not pay full retail for it. Tom FWIW I have used my Pocket R stove extensively, I reviewed it for WT, and have never had any failure whatsoever with it. Putting an empty pot on top of a stove may not be the best way to see how well the stove works. The PR is rapidly becoming THE canister stove to own. Jeez, you guys are killing me! dizzy.gif

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSat Jul 13, 2002 10:41 am 
Snow Peak Titanium Pots and the Pocket Rocket Stove
Snow Peak sells individual pots. What looks like a fry pan is actually the lid for the pot. The fact that you have a pocket rocket means that the stove will be more efficient heating a smaller surface. Snow Peak pots are designed for Snow Peak stoves, which have similar flame size to your stove. This way you do not have to worry about moving the pot around to insure uniform heating and you will not scorch whatever is cooking in the middle of the pot. Lastly, with all do respect to other makers of titanium products, only MSR and Snow Peak use a recognized superior process in smelting titanium. Their products are stronger and will last longer than the competition. This is what happens when one has way too much time on their hands! I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you purchase. Good Hiking!!!!!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jul 13, 2002 11:54 am 
Slide, at the risk of getting into another off topic debate, I'm not sure your conclusion about the Snow Peak pots being more efficient is correct. If you look at this review you'll see that the .9L Evernew pot tested much more efficient than the solo Snow Peak pot. Too small of a surface area isn't a good thing either. The 1.3L Evernew has the same diameter as the pot you are using and I had a small concern the diameter might be too wide for my Snow Peak GigaPower. Just wondering if you use a Snow Peak GigaPower with your Trek 1400 Ti?

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 10:30 am 
Reply To Tom
No off target argument here. The real advantage of combining narrow flamed burners with narrow circumference pots is in cooking and simmering meals, not the boiling of water. We primarily use our MSR Superfly with the Snowpeak 1400 Ti, and the Peak 1 Expert stove with our two liter Traveling Light pot. The Superfly actually appears to be too much stove for the 1400 Ti and I operate it at about 60% capacity or the flame shoots up the side of the pot. Most of our trips are in the 5-7 day range and we prefer to prepare meals in the pot, hence the wide flame burners. I have nothing against Evernew, my statements come form information received form MSR, Snowpeak, REI, and the Gear Guy.

Al U. Minion

Al U. Minion
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 9:50 pm 
Aluminum is 2/3 the weight of titanium (.1 lb/cu in compared to .16). For weight, it's the better deal. Also considerably cheaper. Now if you are still concerned about Alzheimer's then go for titanium. Titanium sounds cool though, and looks good in big letters on rain jackets.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 15, 2002 12:24 am 
Leave it to a Boeing employee to neglect to mention how much better Ti is than alumum in the slippery/nonstick department....

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Jul 15, 2002 1:34 pm 
The Pocket Rocket is great. No out of the ordinary stability problems whatsoever. I haven't heard any complaints along those lines from people who have used them in the field.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Jul 15, 2002 4:08 pm 
Two canisters for 118? After my car camp excursion this past weekend, I'm almost there with one. Ninety-one minutes and counting.