Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Trashy Sites
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostWed Oct 20, 2004 7:12 pm 
Not trashy web sites. wink.gif I would like to start a thread of sites that need to be cleaned up. If anyone has run across, or knows of, an area that looked like it needed tending: 1) List the area 2) List the trail 3) Write, in almost lengthy detail (if not easy to find along the trail), the location that needs to be cleaned up 4) List the kinds of material at the location If someone decides to clean up a site, make a post so other people know that it is being, or has been, done. I hope this can be a helpful thread. Please feel free to make any changes. biggrin.gif If you know of other threads or website dedicated to cleaning up trails pm me.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostWed Oct 20, 2004 10:44 pm 
Darn... i thought you meant websites...

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostWed Oct 20, 2004 10:47 pm 
My apartment could be cleaned for starters............. man, who's been camping here smoker.gif

hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 1:19 pm 
-Little Kachess Lake -The trail along the west side of Little Kaches Lake -After hiking for about 30 minutes north of the boat launch there is a little island (which right now is more like a little spit). The Island has been camped on a lot, apparently by many wine drinkers. -Mostly alcohol containers and food wrapers.

touron

touron
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 7:16 pm 
Maybe we should have a trash pickup day. We could probably coordinate with WTA and get a few free trail passes, whadya think?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 7:56 pm 
Frenchman Coule should be picked up. About three weeks ago my friend and I picked up and hauled out four bags of trash. There is still much more. They should ban camping in the coule in my opinion. Whenever any of you guys go there you should bring along at least one trash bag and fill it up. If everyone did that it will make a differance. up.gif

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 8:19 pm 
Its everything. Bottels, cans, wrappers, food waste... I should see if my partner has any pictures, I think he took some before and after shots of the stuff we picked up. We usually go there, maybe pick up a little, stash it next to our car, go climb, then take the bags home on the way out. I go there a couple times a week.

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostTue Oct 26, 2004 9:44 pm 
hide out in the bushes... and beat up the next person you catch littering... hehehe. wink.gif

PostWed Oct 27, 2004 8:04 pm 
Craig wrote:
Its everything. Bottels, cans, wrappers, food waste...
Sounds like Ocean Shores. You cannot go 10' in any direction and not find litter on the beach. curse.gif Wonder why? doh.gif

touron

touron
PostWed Oct 27, 2004 8:15 pm 
It can't be because there are no garbage cans in Ocean Shores... rolleyes.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostMon Nov 08, 2004 8:04 pm 
hopalong wrote:
-Little Kachess Lake -The trail along the west side of Little Kaches Lake -After hiking for about 30 minutes north of the boat launch there is a little island (which right now is more like a little spit). The Island has been camped on a lot, apparently by many wine drinkers. -Mostly alcohol containers and food wrapers.
Done! I think I found a fish finder device as well. That was the heaviest thing at at least 15 lbs. EDIT: I just found out that it is a down rigger weight

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Nov 27, 2004 12:05 pm 
Spent three hours (some years back) cleaning up the main camp area at Phillipa lake. Man that pile was three feet tall. I contacted the North Bend ranger station and they sent in some back country rangers to haul it out. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostWed Dec 01, 2004 12:25 pm 
I found a big pile of garbage at the Middle Chain Lake. It was thrown under a tree right behind the toilet sign. It looked like a old cabin tent complete with poles and other assorted junk. I told the rangers about it's location as the whole thing was pretty heavy.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostWed Oct 05, 2005 2:46 am 
I thought I would bump this up since it's that time of year again for lower elevations. If anyone saw a trashy area when they were hiking these past few months please post the area (as detailed as posible) here. wink.gif

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Oct 05, 2005 8:02 am 
in keeping with my moniker....I'm headed to Kelly Butte Lookout this weekend for a cleanup there.....lots of broken glass, alcohol containers, hunters trash etc. If interested, either pm me or meet me at the trailhead at 10 a.m saturday oct. 8. Thanks for starting this thread..... up.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")