Forum Index > Food & Grub > your most memorable meal last season....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Jun 21, 2007 8:18 pm 
Or your most memorable dessert.....what did you bring special for the first meal? I know fish can be high in the list, please describe.(I jsut c&r mostly) I plan on takin mex. food or something good for the first dinner/brkfast to help me recover from the hike in. several times we used the outback oven for pizza/ scones ......

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Jun 21, 2007 8:28 pm 
For the first night meal, pack in 1 tube of pesto paste, 1 pouch of tuna, 1 head of brocolli (cut up in little pieces), a couple cloves of garlic (slivered), a little bottle of good olive oil, a chunk of parmesan cheese, and a couple top ramens. Dump the brocoli and garlic into your pot of water, stand your pouch of tuna up in it, and bring it up to a boil. Pull out the tuna pouch, and add the top ramen. Take the pot off of the heat. Once the ramen is soft (the brocolli should be cooked by now), pour off the water. Stir in the warmed tuna, the tube of pesto paste, olive oil to taste, and shavings of parmesan cheese (do the best you can with your pocket knife). Voila!-backcountry pesto primavera. (add other veggies at will - red bell peppers are a tasty addition) Another good first-night dinner is Tasty-bites. They're too heavy to carry for meals later on in the trip (IMO), but just awesome for that first night out when your taste buds are still fully functional. After a couple days anything remotely edible will do. For the first night's dessert, brownies or cookies are a big hit. After a couple days of being stuffed in the pack they're reduced to (tasty) crumbs. That first night, if you've been even just sort of careful they should be intact.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostThu Jun 21, 2007 8:42 pm 
I found some spam in the hills once... and I ate it up.gif

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jun 21, 2007 8:46 pm 
The most memorable meal last season wasn't necessarily a good meal. It sustained my life, so I can't say it was a complete disaster. I had dehyrated enough ground beef for a few weeks' meals, but apparently didn't rinse off all the fat, and it was sorta rancid. Then I had split a package of pasta-and-powedered cheese crap for 2 meals, and because the powder-to-pasta ratio is an exact science that only Monsanto or Dow Chemical can alter, and I didn't split it correctly and all I got was powdered cheese crap and about 2 elbow noodles, if that many. So pretty much what I ate that night was rancid ground beef and powdered cheese crap. That was memorable. huh.gif Is this the information that you're looking for gnomey?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Spotly

Spotly
PostThu Jun 21, 2007 8:49 pm 
Bad: Freeze dried ham and eggs right before a long climbing day. I was so sick. Good: Steak sandwich on thick sliced french bread with a bottle of beer (lite of course). My wife likes to pack little surprises and breaks em out at the perfect moment.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jun 21, 2007 9:02 pm 
Pütz-in-Boots wrote:
Quark...is that the same meal that was saturated in white gas?
No, this here is from last season - the white gas meal was a few years ago.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Jun 21, 2007 9:11 pm 
Something else I can highly recommend: A roast beef sandwich on rye with sage derby cheese, avocado, tomato, lettuce, cucumbers, sprouts, pepperoncini, mustard, and horseradish from Everybody's Store in Van Zandt. The sandwiches are absolutely huge - they're the sort of things you nibble on throughout the day. And the roast beef is actual slices off of a piece of beef they cooked - not thin shaven pressed meat stuff.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Jun 21, 2007 9:15 pm 
1 oz shaved coconut 1 oz shaved almonds 1 Tbs red pepper flakes 3 Tbs candied ginger slivers 3 Tbs alcohol 2 cans beer Drain beer cans at home and fashion into stove. At camp, add alcohol to beer cans. Pour 2 cups water into foil baking pan and place over beer cans. Light beer cans. Tear open fake Asian freeze-dried entre pouch and dump remaining crap into pouch. Add boiling water to pouch and stir. After 10 minutes, remember to remove oxygen absorbtion packet. Eat.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostThu Jun 21, 2007 10:13 pm 
My most memorable meal last season was at this great little place at Cannon Beach. Awesome salmon, death by chocolate for dessert....yum. Most of my hiking food is nothing more than convenient so I have to remember what really good real food is... winksmile.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Jun 21, 2007 10:46 pm 
yep quark! thanks .......how did that come out? your tip on the kuow thingy has me crakkkin up!!!

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostFri Jun 22, 2007 1:22 am 
My favorite meal from last year was the night we had fresh cutthroat, frog legs, and grouse breasts provided by the Swan Range in Montana. My most memorable meal of all time was the night i backpacked into Rachel Lake with my good buddy Craig. He had prepared chicken fajitas the night before then stuck it in the freezer. The next day we had packed in tortillas and had one hell of a meal over a six pack of budweisers, mmm......

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Jun 22, 2007 7:43 am 
Oatmeal with freshly picked wild blueberries at Buck Creek Pass.

TeeJay
Sofa King

TeeJay
Sofa King
PostFri Jun 22, 2007 7:54 am 
Mountain House Noodles and Chicken with Sriracha sauce. Not too creative, but its so good. This year I'm making more of my own stuff instead of going with the expensive freeze dried ...a couple of weeks ago I made smoked samon fettucini freezer bag style. Pretty good.

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen. -- George MacDonald
Lono

Lono
PostFri Jun 22, 2007 10:23 am 
Hobo stew, first night dinner - onion, lipton soup mix, 3 cups water, stir, add green pepper, jalapeno, handful of noodles, package of chicken, pepper, red pepper, more red pepper, cumin. Other veggies to taste. Bubble. Top with parmesan cheese. Nothing freeze dried except the soup mix. Tasty, and makes your pack 3 lbs lighter in the morning. Sourdough pan-fried bread in the am. Nothing fancy, just flour, starter and baking soda. Turn and brown. Smell can draw crowds. Usually the last breakfast when I want to use up a bit of fuel and enjoy the morning. Beats instant oatmeal. Both recipes originally from the old old FS Lookout recipe book I think. Best meal cooked for me - dutch oven pizza (for a cooking competition). Scouts can be crazy good cooks when they put their minds to it.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jun 22, 2007 11:54 am 
Well, I don't stop hiking at the end of the season wink.gif Couple weeks ago I made Ldyblade a birthday cake in my UL Fauxbaker It was tasty.... One time, I strapped a freshly baked loaf of focacia bread on Ford's backpack and made him carry it in lol.gif I did at least share it with him. Hehheh! In all honesty though, I love nothing more than pasta with red bell pepper pesto, lots of cheese, and a loaf of bread. Or Veggie burritos. Life is good then! And of course the meal on the way home is always good!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.