Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pasayten - Horseshoe Basin 8+ named summits- 06/30-07/04/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
reststep

reststep
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 7:36 pm 
Great trip report. It brings back memories. Jim, what kind of pack is that you are carrying?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 8:03 pm 
That's my Golite Gust frameless pack with a Golite Dawn tied on for day hiking. I guessed wrong on the weather and with 5 days of food, half a Hilleberg Nallo 3 tent and a 10 degree sleeping bag I was near the 30 lb. comfortable limit. Lighter camping gear would have been better. By the time the food was gone it was much lighter for the hike out.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 8:12 pm 
Interesting, thanks Jim.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 8:15 pm 
reststep wrote:
Interesting, thanks Jim.
. . . and, he wasn't even carrying the wine!!! lol.gif s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Beave

Beave
PostFri Jul 06, 2007 12:39 am 
Nice TR!! I have wanted to explore that area for some time, and this report is definitely inspiration to do so. Cool sunset shot too. Thanks

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Jul 06, 2007 1:48 am 
mike wrote:
Another FWIW: I think the peak you have called Haig Mtn is the unnamed peak (pt2395m) north of Rock Pk and the Boundary Trail. My map shows Haig several miles farther west and not on the border. If that is border monument 102 in the pictures it would confirm it. elev is about the same as haig too.
I have to agree with Mike. I'd guess you were on Peak 7845, which has a spur to the border at Point 7491. Still a good summit however. I haven't heard of anyone else whose been to that border obelisk. Here's what the summit of Haig looks like. The whole crest of the peak makes for great roaming if you leave the trail and go up the east end of the peak.
Haig summit
Haig summit
Haig summit looking west to Bauerman & Cathedral
Haig summit looking west to Bauerman & Cathedral
Traveling west along crest of Haig toward Bauerman
Traveling west along crest of Haig toward Bauerman
Wonderful "Teapot Lake" tucked between Haig and Bauerman
Wonderful "Teapot Lake" tucked between Haig and Bauerman
Looking back east from Bauerman to "Teapot Lake," Teapot Dome, and Haig
Looking back east from Bauerman to "Teapot Lake," Teapot Dome, and Haig

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Jul 06, 2007 1:48 am 
Okay, all these reports from Horseshoe Basin finally provoked me to upload my photos from my Horseshoe Basin Larch Trip, October 2004. No bugs, beautiful golden larches, 10 summits (Pick, Armstrong, Arnold, Goodenough, Horseshoe, Haig, Teapot, Bauerman, Rock, Windy).
Horseshoe Basin in October

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostFri Jul 06, 2007 6:56 am 
Matt wrote:
Okay, all these reports from Horseshoe Basin finally provoked me to upload my photos from my Horseshoe Basin Larch Trip, October 2004. No bugs, beautiful golden larches, 10 summits (Pick, Armstrong, Arnold, Goodenough, Horseshoe, Haig, Teapot, Bauerman, Rock, Windy).
Beautiful Larch!!! There are still quite a few on the north approach to Windy Peak - right at the pass and along the route to Topaz. We figured they would be lovely in the Fall - good excuse to go back and REALLY do Haig! (especially with the no bug part!) Thanks.

mike

mike
PostFri Jul 06, 2007 11:46 am 
Matt wrote:
Makes me want to go back and go farther! That Teapot Lk looks like a gem. Unfortunately with the 6hr drive +ferry and adding about 5mi to the 7mi to Louden Lk plus the short days makes it a two day trip in for me. But who needs to work?

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 3:53 pm 
dusty boots wrote:
Great TR and pics, SD ! This area was on my 'to do' list but was told earlier in the year that the area had been burned over.
Dusty - FYI - there was reported this morning (07-08-07) a 1000 acre fire near Nighthawk. Hope it doesn't spread into the Pasayten. eek.gif

dusty boots
' Gimp '

dusty boots
' Gimp '
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 5:32 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Dusty - FYI - there was reported this morning (07-08-07) a 1000 acre fire near Nighthawk. Hope it doesn't spread into the Pasayten. eek.gif
Thanks for the heads up SD. up.gif Geese, here we go again! campfire.gif paranoid.gif paranoid.gif huh.gif rant.gif waah.gif bawl.gif Hopefully that will be under control soon as that is close to both the PW and to Cathedrals PP, which I was also planning on doing as well, in less than a month. A fire that close would definitely impact on 'the views' due to smoke etc., never mind the constant drone of aircraft/helicopters. dizzy.gif We'll have to keep an eye on things and make a 'judgement call' nearer the time. Thanks again, Dusty

it should be right around that next bend........I think.....
JimK

JimK
PostWed Jul 18, 2007 5:37 pm 
Well, it took me a few weeks but I now have 85 photos posted along with my report. I have a few that show the extent of the burn. Enjoy. Horseshoe Basin Report and Photos

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostThu Jul 19, 2007 1:18 pm 
big burn
I went to Windy Pk the following week and then drove FR39 from Iron Gate to Winthrop: it's about 50 miles of burn-- 360 degrees as far as eye can see: ghostly, unreal--especially when you spot a green tree in the midst of the burn, mysteriously spared--often strangely beautiful. One of my goals was Amphitheater/Apex but I got lost in the Tungsten Creek area: one of the books I followed says Tungsten Cr Trail is unmarked and starts at a small meadow right before crossing the river on two one-log planks. I found the spot and followed a couple of faint paths which led me deeper and higher into the wilderness--and into very tight spots up the canyon walls of two creeks; I was hoping I could reach Boundary Tr by scrambling North but eventually we hit a big cliffy drop and had to retrace our steps, chastised. The trail to Remmel looked OK and I was tempted but I'd run low on dog food so I left Remmel for another outing. So I changed my plan, got back to Cathedral Cr TH, drove N to Iron Gate, and then hiked to Arnold and Windy (area N from Sunny Pass is exquisite). Hi Adrianne & Todd and thanks for feeding the hungry: hope you made it to Cathedral. tdd