Forum Index > Trip Reports > ruby mt, 7,404', 07-07-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostThu Jul 19, 2007 4:42 pm 
07-07-07: Ruby Day?! Whitedog and I met at Colonial Cr CG, and after some deliberation chose the 4th of July route (I was interested in the shorter/?/ northern route, directly from Hwy20, but I had a map only whereas Whitedog knew the southern route and opted for safety). First, follow a longish but easy and well-maintained sequence of trails to 4th of July camp sites at 3500 (great glimpses of Snowfield, Colonial, Pinnacle and Pyramid Pks) and continue on trail for another mile or so where just before 4th of July Pass you turn left/North at an unmarked but vaguely defined trailcross. “Abandoned Trail” sign
N-July07-Ruby1
N-July07-Ruby1
is not directly visible from trail. Follow “abandoned trail” for 2-3 miles: it gets barely visible at times and there are lots of downed trees
N-July07-Ruby2
N-July07-Ruby2
; if you lose trail just keep going north until you reach the alpine meadows and sporadic snow (probably melted by now). From there it’s a straight scramble to a notch on Ruby Ridge. Top can’t be seen from notch: to get to the top go left and follow ridge line for another 0.5 mile. There’s a radio tower on top; register is next to it
Water is plentiful but once the snow is gone the last third of the way with its southern exposure could get dry (there is a small glacier on the other side of Ruby). This is a long day-hike (Dad & BoonDocs did it in one day; Whitedog’s Emma got too tired so they camped overnight at 4th of July): what makes it worthy is Ruby’s unique location which affords a 360-degree panorama of N Cascades—all the major peaks and several spectacular glaciers, plus the dizzying drop to Diablo and Ross Lk. I have included a ring of photos going clockwise from Mt Baker (NW) to Pyramid Pk (W) plus a teeny glimpse of Eldorado peeking above Klawatti/Tepeh Towers/?/.
N-July07-Ruby5
N-July07-Ruby5
N-July07-Ruby6
N-July07-Ruby6
N-July07-Ruby6
N-July07-Ruby6
N-July07-Ruby11
N-July07-Ruby11
N-July07-Ruby12
N-July07-Ruby12
N-July07-Ruby12
N-July07-Ruby12
N-July07-Ruby14
N-July07-Ruby14
N-July07-Ruby15
N-July07-Ruby15
Twodogdad team
N-July07-Ruby19-TwoDogDad
N-July07-Ruby19-TwoDogDad
Joanna--against Hozameen
N-July07-Ruby17-Joanna
N-July07-Ruby17-Joanna
lots of white dogs
N-July07-Ruby18-5WhiteDogs
N-July07-Ruby18-5WhiteDogs
RT: 21 miles El. 7,404 ft Total gain: 6,600 ft.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostThu Jul 19, 2007 4:48 pm 
flickr note
Flickr upload still perplexes me: I haven't learned how to post pics directly, sorry. tdd

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 19, 2007 5:04 pm 
Check out the instructions. It's pretty easy if you're willing to read them. wink.gif

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostThu Jul 19, 2007 8:08 pm 
Nice photos! We still hope to get up there this year.

This thing called work is interfering with my play