Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Is WTA dropping the ball in ONP and ONF?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Romeo Montague
has no Juliet

Romeo Montague
has no Juliet
PostFri Jul 13, 2007 8:01 pm 
Mt Rose Maintenance Crew does at least Elinor and Mt Rose. Not sure what else they do though. Anyone know any web page or contact info for these guys?

O, swear not by the moon, the fickle moon, the inconstant moon, that monthly changes in her circle orb, Lest that thy love prove likewise variable.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostFri Jul 13, 2007 8:48 pm 
Romeo Montague wrote:
Mt Rose Maintenance Crew does at least Elinor and Mt Rose. Not sure what else they do though. Anyone know any web page or contact info for these guys?
They do the Big Creek Trails, Copper Creek, Mount Rose, Mount Ellinor and sometimes other stuff. They re-opened the trail that goes from Big Creek campground to Mount Ellinor, they also re-opened the Copper Creek trail. This year they logged out the Lower Lena Lake trail at the request of the forest service. I don't know how to contact them but I did finally get to meet some of them on Mount Rose last month. I posted a picture of them on my blog. They really want hikers to use the Copper Creek trail now that they have turned in into a loop hike. I posted a trip report for it at http://mosswalks.blogspot.com It's great to have that group of volunteers working on the trails so close to my home. Most of them live in Shelton.

Romeo Montague
has no Juliet

Romeo Montague
has no Juliet
PostFri Jul 13, 2007 8:58 pm 
Thanks for the link to your blog up.gif Actually got some info I was wondering about. I added your blog to my favs! Keep it coming. I guess I will have to call FS and find out. Since they work in my backyard doing my trails I like to go on alot I wouldn't mind helping out if I can.

O, swear not by the moon, the fickle moon, the inconstant moon, that monthly changes in her circle orb, Lest that thy love prove likewise variable.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Jul 13, 2007 9:09 pm 
Yah, pest, thanks. That's Dave Blevins in your photo of the Mount Rose trail crew. He's the retired freind I mentioned. up.gif Worked with him many times on the west side before he retired. I helped him build a bodacious checkstep/turnpike combination on the Downey Creek trail.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
ScottM

ScottM
PostFri Jul 13, 2007 9:20 pm 
Just worked with Dave Blevins this last week on the Big Quil. Worked with him quite a few times in the Quilcene area and also on slab camp a couple of weeks ago. Nice guy to work with and is very knowledgable about trail maintenance. On the Big Quil this last week he mentioned to me that he's been doing trail maintenance for about 12 years now.

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostFri Jul 13, 2007 10:27 pm 
Oh good I'm glad the picture helped. I signed up for a work party once but found out that I needed to have boots and I don't own a pair of boots. When my youngest starts school I'll have more time for hiking and trail work. Right now if I wanted to do a day of trail work I would have to give up a day of hiking. My child-care options are really limited.

Phil

Phil
PostSat Jul 14, 2007 7:33 am 
I'll just underline what others have said in noting that if there is less trail work in the Olys then the primary factor accounting for that is likely volume of volunteer base and leadership on the peninsula. Having said that I think it was curious that Robert Wood was absent from their "NW hiking legends" feature last year.

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSat Jul 14, 2007 10:24 am 
Phil wrote:
I'll just underline what others have said in noting that if there is less trail work in the Olys then the primary factor accounting for that is likely volume of volunteer base and leadership on the peninsula. Having said that I think it was curious that Robert Wood was absent from their "NW hiking legends" feature last year.
That is curious his hiking guide was one of a kind and he knew his history too. What a shame that he passed away and his book is starting to get dated. I wonder if someone will step up and take his place or will we be stuck with cookie cutter trail guides to the Olympics from now on?

Phil

Phil
PostSat Jul 14, 2007 12:03 pm 
pest wrote:
Phil wrote:
That is curious his hiking guide was one of a kind and he knew his history too. What a shame that he passed away and his book is starting to get dated. I wonder if someone will step up and take his place or will we be stuck with cookie cutter trail guides to the Olympics from now on?
I know, the guy seemed to have dedicated his life the Olys and hiking. and yet in the WTA feature they included folks whose claim to fame was lovin the Enchantments and naming a few areas up there..... but oh no they didnt include R Wood. Just doesnt make sense. I don't think anyone can take his place given that he wrote the books on the place from histories to comprehensive trail guides. How do you do that again? Carsten Lien has made a couple of real nice contributions on the historical end. In terms of trail guides the two recent day hike guides aren't bad. The one by Romano is real slick, very nice design.

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSun Jul 15, 2007 12:00 am 
I've not seen the new guide yet, I guess I should get it. I've got the Dayhike guide by Seabury Blair and find it entertianing.

reststep

reststep
PostSun Jul 15, 2007 8:11 pm 
pest wrote:
There used to be a trail "The Old Dosewallips Trail" on the other side of the river from the road, there was some talk of re-opening it. I hope they do.
I am in favor of that. Then when they reopen the road people that want to enjoy the river walk can take the trail and those of us that want to drive the road can do that. It sounds like a win win situation.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostMon Jul 16, 2007 6:19 am 
The WTA is pretty cautious about supporting road closures. If I recall rightly, in the case of the Dose the WTA opposed the FS proposed method of rebuilding the bridge because it would involve dumping road material in a salmon-bearing river. That is not the same as supporting its closure.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 16, 2007 7:33 am 
WTA actually supported re-building the Dose, but withdrew support after more studies regarding habitat came in. They don't just blindly oppose roads or support closures in order to make more trails. Maybe Phil can write an article on Robert Wood for their magazine. WTA volunteers can only contribute so much to the magazine (many of their articles are researched by and written by volunteers - don't recall about the tribute article; I think it was a compliation of several volunteers)

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
reststep

reststep
PostMon Jul 16, 2007 7:30 pm 
Quark wrote:
They don't just blindly oppose roads or support closures in order to make more trails.
Who is they? That is what I would like to know. In another words who at WTA makes these decisions?

reststep

reststep
PostMon Jul 16, 2007 8:03 pm 
Here is a link to the article at WTA explaining why they (who ever they is) decided to oppose reopening the the Dose Road. Link to Article Here is a quote from the article: "In August, the National Marine Fisheries Service announced that a recently proposed reroute of the road around the 300-foot washout could have “dire consequences” for Chinook salmon.. " As you can see they are quoting out of context from what I assume is something written by someone at the National Marine Fisheries Service and they have no link to the article so if a person was interested in what it actually said it could be looked up.