Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!
PostThu Nov 16, 2023 7:10 am 
ď 2.4Ē Schwalbe Super-Moto-X tires with Double Defense GreenGuard puncture protection.Ē

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Nov 16, 2023 11:29 am 
I now own 5 mountain bikes, I think as one winter project I will convert one to electric, but which kit to buy? I am thinking center drive instead of rear?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Wawhiker
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Nov 16, 2023 1:00 pm 
My Red Queen came with Schwalbe Super Moto-X (with green guard). Awesome tires. Not one puncture in 3 years of riding since I purchased my bike.

Slugman
Wawhiker

Wawhiker
PostFri Nov 17, 2023 6:01 am 
I bought/converted my Specialized with this kit from Dillenger USA. Too easy. https://dillengerelectricbikes.com/products/bbs-hd1000-bafang-mid-drive-kit

Chief Joseph
JPH

JPH
PostFri Nov 17, 2023 9:00 am 
Slugman wrote:
The only thing I donít like is that a flat tire would be an issue, the wheels donít come off easily like a regular bike, or like my Volton Express. I think I will have REI install some kevlar tube protectors, and I will get some tire goo as well.
We got a flat in the back on ours. Here's my thoughts: #1 - if straying far from home, make sure you're carrying the tools you'll need to change a flat. (allen wrench for front and little wrench for back). #2 - if it's a basic puncture flat (and it's clear where it happened, like a nail in the tire) you don't have to take the wheel off the bike to patch it and get back on the road. Just take the tire off the rim while still on the bike, pull out the punctured part of the tire and patch the hole. That's what I did (it was an obvious nail) and it's been fine ever since. #3 - a bigger thing I noticed that could be an issue if you really did need to get the wheel off away from home, is that there is a zip tie between the rear wheel and the motor disconnect. I think this was a design flaw as you'd have to cut that zip tie to disconnect the rear wheel and remove it. I have a Bike Swift conversion too and the disconnect is right by the hub, so this isn't an issue. I guess the moral of the story would be to potentially carry a knife or little snips and a couple extra zip ties in your kit, as well, in case you have to take the wheel off.

Slugman
Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!
PostFri Nov 17, 2023 10:10 am 
Since REI will do the work for free, and I was going to drop off the bike for them to put on my fenders anyway, I am going to have them install some Rhinodillo tire liners (or similar). Belt and suspenders. But your solution #2 is awesome. If the hole is too small to find even with the tube off the rim, then I would Slime it. I should also get the tools/knowledge to remove the wheel. I am often far from my car, riding alone. Quick release wheels have been the standard for so long I will need to adjust.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 17, 2023 11:59 am 
Tire liners are overkill I think, and doubt they will actually do anything if you have a severe enough puncture. I put tannus armour in my eMTB tires. You can ride flat on them but they do add a bit of weight. I think it only makes sense for off road.

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Nov 17, 2023 12:28 pm 
wawhiker wrote:
I bought/converted my Specialized with this kit from Dillenger USA. Too easy. https://dillengerelectricbikes.com/products/bbs-hd1000-bafang-mid-drive-kit
Wow, but 1200 for a kit? I see them online for less than $200, while I donít want to buy junk, I can buy a Rad bike for 1200. My friend just bought one with 15 miles on it for $650. I wonít spend more than that on a kit.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 17, 2023 12:37 pm 
Yes, you can buy bikes cheaper than you can convert them, especially rear hub. The only reason to roll your own IMO is mid drive kits like the BBSHD have a much more powerful motor, in addition to the other advantages of a mid drive, and possibly higher capacity battery than you would get with a cheap rear hub bike. The only real knock on the BBSHD is lack of torque sensing, otherwise it's a proven motor that can take a lot of abuse if you want to push it hard.

Chief Joseph, Wawhiker
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Nov 17, 2023 5:36 pm 
I had Slime in tires. I won't do it again. It's messy. You have to position the tire just so when airing up the tire so the slime won't come out. No need for it on my Schwalbes. No need for a liner either. Should I get a flat, my plan is to hitchhike home if I can't get phone reception. I've been asked many times if I need help when I've stopped for a drink of water out in the hinterlands. People are generally helpful that way around here. Or, Huffy sells tubes that they say can be installed without taking the tire off.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be humanĖĖanimals and aliens are great possibilities

Slugman
Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!
PostSun Nov 19, 2023 9:57 am 
I just bought two of the Huffy Quick Change tubes. Thanks for the info that they exist. Pretty clever idea they had. https://www.amazon.com/Huffy-Bicycle-Company-Quick-Change/dp/B07GVV7PYW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=huffy+quick+change+inner+tube&qid=1700416151&sr=8-3 Iím returning the tire liners and Slime. Thanks Tom and Treeswarper for the ideas and benefit of your experiences.

Opus
Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!
PostMon Nov 20, 2023 1:47 pm 
Centennial trail is awesome today. Almost at Cassidy lake from Nakashima barn.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 21, 2023 7:41 am 
Is there more than one Centennial Trail? Or is that the Spokane one? It's weird here. Now that winter temps are here, I see more people than ever riding around on ebikes. I've designed and made a prototype of an ear warming headband that fits under my helmet. My ears are my Achilles tendon. Those balaclava/Ninja pullovers don't keep them warm, nor does a regular headband, or a neck thing. So, I've come up with this, made from scrap fabric. I've sewn foam in the ear flaps. It's soft and comfy and I think will do the trick. I've not tested it yet. I will be making some for relatives that have just crossed over from the car culture to the ebike way.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be humanĖĖanimals and aliens are great possibilities

RumiDude
Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 21, 2023 9:09 am 
Might be more than one centennial trail. The one I rode goes from the Skagit/Snohomish county line next to Rt 9, south to Arlington, then Lake Stevens then Snohomish. 30 miles. I went 19 miles each way, stopping at Cassidy lake. Iím a little sore today but going back out, doing Kenmore to Redmond on the Sam. River trail.

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 21, 2023 4:51 pm