Forum Index > Gear Talk > why does rei suck so bad sometimes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostTue May 18, 2004 7:47 pm 
so i go down to the tukwila rei store tonight to pick up a snow peak giga power for my brother... and they don't have any in stock. so, i order one. i'm told it'll be at the store in a week. what? then i ask a really dumb question- how many do you guys normally keep in stock? "oh, we order them as we need them"..... ? so after i order my stove i take a walk over to the stove section, they have all of the pretty-but-heavy crap on display. then i look around at the rest of the junk in the store. same thing, all the pretty junk, none of the popular stuff..... i really miss the old capitol hill store.............

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue May 18, 2004 8:10 pm 
So what became of the capitol store?

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostTue May 18, 2004 8:13 pm 
Didn't that turn into Value Village? hihi.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue May 18, 2004 8:13 pm 
Well yer first mistake was to even go into the Tukwila , oh I mean The South Center REI (talk about wankers! They aren't allowed to call it Tukwila!) LOL! I personally fumed when they closed the Federal Way one-the Tukwila store has the suckiest and slowest service-and they won't haggle on the last day of the garage sales...wankers! Seriously, I wait now and drive into the downtown store.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostTue May 18, 2004 8:15 pm 
I hear there's a sale on Friday, does that only apply to the downtown store?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue May 18, 2004 9:04 pm 
Didn't the Tukwila store just open like a year ago? dizzy.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostTue May 18, 2004 9:19 pm 
gary wrote:
Had a bunch of spiffy clothes though; I thought I was in an Eddie Bauer store!
When you guys were young you bought gear, but now that lots of you are almost a 100 years old clown.gif you can't hike and climb the things that you used to. So, REI needs to market products which the old cusomers will buy. doh.gif Its your fault! bawl.gif

Duncan

Duncan
PostTue May 18, 2004 9:24 pm 
I went down to the downtown store a few weeks ago to buy a Snow Peak stove. They do not stock them there either, they had to order it for me as they do not normally stock them in the stores anymore according to the "stove person" I talked to. Oh well.....

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostWed May 19, 2004 1:08 am 
I feel your pain! Could there possibly be a REI which sucks more than the one in Bellingham? hmmm.gif

Honey Badger Don't Care!
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed May 19, 2004 7:00 am 
I was at the Southcenter store about three weeks ago, looking at cookware sets. After looking over and comparing all the display stuff, I decided on an MSR set. Of course, there were none on the shelf. mad.gif I tracked down a clerk who told me that if it wasn't on the shelf, they were out of stock and would have some in next week, maybe (what...is that the first thing they're taught to say at REI staff training?). mad.gif I gathered up my other items and headed toward the checkout - but had to go around the little "stockroom" built in the middle of the store. I decided to go inside it. Sure as hell, there were about 4 sets of the cookware sitting on the shelf. mad.gif Being the dumbass I am, I went ahead and bought the stuff, knowing full well I should have thrown it down and stomped out. mad.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 19, 2004 7:09 am 
REI was good before there were specialty stores to go to. I only shop there now if I am accidentally around one. I go to Marmot, Pro Mountain or shop on line. Sometimes I buy food there. They have a pretty good freeze dried selection. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostWed May 19, 2004 11:44 am 
REI
I have everything 2 or 3 times over so I don't have to shop anymore. I use my stuff until it dies and the things I have are middle aged so I'm ok for another 10 years or so. I do have to buy food every year so I usually start in Jan. buying a little here a little there, only the best mind you, so by June I'm all stocked up. That's only for freeze dried food, for most of the rest I go to Trader Joes which has THE best hiker munchies anywhere. Every year I'm the envy of camp when the stuffed olives, fudge cookies, canned smoked fish, cheese, Italian sausage, natcho corn chips, fresh pita bread, Belgian milk chocolate, and later in the evening 2 Buck Chuck are brought out to enjoy. And yes I do share sometimes. winksmile.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed May 19, 2004 12:28 pm 
Mmmm..Trader Joe's! Nummy! I live on the salmon jerky, the 3pack chocolate bars in all 4 flavors, the fruit leather, the soy chips, the dried fruit, nuts, flatbread.....

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed May 19, 2004 12:34 pm 
I hear ya on the Bellingham store! After living in Seattle, I almost cried when I walked into the B'ham REI. They have a whole bunch of clothes, and nice looking shoes, and no gear selection to speak of. Guess I'll be spending a lot of time (and $) at MEC.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic

PostWed May 19, 2004 3:09 pm 
Lead Dog wrote:
Every year I'm the envy of camp when the stuffed olives, fudge cookies, canned smoked fish, cheese, Italian sausage, natcho corn chips, fresh pita bread, Belgian milk chocolate, and later in the evening 2 Buck Chuck are brought out to enjoy.
up.gif up.gif For TJs. Great little store for non-hiking eating too! But why do people in WA call it 2 Buck Chuck, when it costs $3.00?