Forum Index > Food & Grub > backpacking food: NOT pasta or rice
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kayakbear

kayakbear
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 1:37 pm 
So I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I can't seem to find the threads on backpacking food. I think the search engine doesn't like me. frown.gif I have some faithful standbys, Barilla tortellini with powdered pesto and parm and black beans and rice with cheese. And although both are really good, I'm getting pretty sick of them. Although I cook while I backpack, I'm not a fan of having to simmer something over the stove over 30 min. Both of my meals are made in less than 10min and I'd like something I can piece together at home and throw in a ziploc to have everything ready to go for camp. I don't like the instant stuff (and its too pricey) and I don't have a dehydrator. What do you guys do besides pasta and rices???? My taste buds will thank you!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 1:42 pm 
Kim Chee ramen and a retort pack of tuna or snow dried tofu if vegan.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
kayakbear

kayakbear
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 1:52 pm 
Hmm that sounds good. I'll have to try it. A random thought, has anyone ever used instant polenta? I never make polenta, but hey, I know its light dry and light weight! (right?)

peltoms

peltoms
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 2:37 pm 
I love instant mashed potatoes with goodies thrown in cheese, fried onion rings, avocado whatever, it sure is lightweight. smile.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 3:00 pm 
Check out Sarbar's site over at www.freezerbagcooking.com. (dehydrators are available for purchase at your local department store)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Flora
Enjoying the Sun!

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 3:24 pm 
Quote:
Check out Sarbar's site over at www.freezerbagcooking.com.
Nice website! I have a friend who dehydrates all kinds of things including pies and puddings! Interesting taste. She does a lot of fruits and vegetables, which you could easily add to a soup mix to make it more palatable. You might check out old issues of Backpacker for ideas... Flora

Flora
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 3:30 pm 
Instant mash potatoes work really well to stretch Mountain House Seafood Chowder (assuming you're cooking for more than one). Incidentally, a cucumber makes a great, packable first night's "salad", if you can put up with the extra weight.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Hikes with dogs
always well behaved

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 3:38 pm 
My Sweetie packed tortillas and pre-packaged shredded cheese...he said it doesn't turn into a lump like home shredded does...we made quesadillas with a bit of olive oil in a pan over our camp stove...yum!

guns don't watch your back... our dogs have shown us the way out when we were lost...AND kept us warm... for us its ALWAYS a two dog night!
Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 3:41 pm 
KB, You can try coscous as well. It cooks up really fast and you can add all types of good stuff. I like to add crasins, and nuts to my coscous! Jason

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 4:01 pm 
Trail Mix!

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
kayakbear

kayakbear
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 4:13 pm 
These are all good ideas, I'll try the mashed potatoes and couscous ideas. Anyone try quinoa flakes? They take too long in regular form but I've never tried the flakes..... hmmm.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 6:07 pm 
We do backcountry pizzas. Like the quesadilla idea, but with a splash of Ragu Pizza Quick sauce and pepperoni added to taste. Very tasty! Scrooge: I like the mashed potatoes in chowder idea. That's an excellent suggestion. I've always bring along bacon bits to add into the mix when I'm rehydrating the mashed potatoes and noted that it tastes a bit like clam chowder. Only makes sense to use them to stretch the Mountain House meal.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 6:51 pm 
3 things that I've taken come to mind: 1) Get black bean or pinto bean flakes at PCC or WF (they're already cooked and dried). Get corn tortillas at Trader Joes (best flavor IMO). You can dry the tortillas in a very low oven or on the back shelf of your car when it's sunny out and it 's parked in the sun. (Yes, I've actually done this, takes only a few hours.) At camp make a soup or stew, depending on how thick you like it, of black beans and bite sized pieces of tortillas. Heavyweight accessories are: small can of Herdez salsa, fresh jalapeno or other fresh chilis, sour cream (some would say sour cream is mandatory), cheese, fresh ripe avocado and a garlic clove and salt to make guacamole 2) Thai Kitchen instant soup packages. Try the lime and chili. Takes two of the small packages to make a meal. Nice to add a little veggie or freeze dried tofu (which you can get at macrobiotic stores, maybe PCC or WF). 3) TJ's Miso soup packet and soba. This is not an instant meal because the soba takes 7 to 10 min to cook. Add the miso packet when nearly done. If you have some, add some veggies. Can also add freeze dried tofu to this dish. (A dehydrator is nice to have, look at Nesco/American Harvest, about $45, has temp control and a fan. Wally World may carry them or Fred Meyer)

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 6:58 pm 
Mashed potatoes smile.gif Love 'em! Chicken & Cranberry Gravy with Mashed Potatoes: In a quart freezer bag put: 1 cup instant mashed potatoes Fresh ground black pepper, to taste 1 tsp dried chives In a second freezer bag put: 1 pouch chicken gravy mix (the add 1 cup water type) 1/2 cup Craisins 7 oz foil pouch of chicken. In camp add 1 cup boiling water to the potatoes, stir well. Add 1 cup boiling water to the gravy mix, stir well, add chicken. Let sit in a cozy for 5 minutes. Stir again, pour over potatoes and eat! Serves 2. This is one of my favorite comfort meals for winter trips. Cheezy Bacon Mashed Potatoes: In a quart freezer bag put: 1 1/2 cups instant potatoes 1/4 tsp salt, if desired 1/3 cup instant dry milk 3 Tbsp cheese sauce powder shelf stable bacon, to taste (2-3 Tbsp or more), leave in package till ready to use. In camp: Add the bacon to the dry ingredients. Add 2 1/4 cups boiling water. Stir well, let cool a bit and eat. Serves 1-2, depending on how hungry. From this page: http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/everythingelse.htm

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
ScottM

ScottM
PostFri Aug 31, 2007 7:22 pm 
Just tried something new. I bought a box of Annie Chuns Oriental Noodles in peanut sauce at my local natural food store. In the box you get a package of dried chow mein style noodles, a liquid packet of sesame peanut sauce, and a liquid pouch of sesame oil. At the same store they have a bulk bin of dehydrated veggie mix (carrots, celery, onions, and parsley. I buy bulk freezed dried chicken breast chunks but you could use those shelf stable ready to use packets of chicken meat. I boil the noodles for 6-7 minutes, remove them and put them in a freezer bag or reynolds cooking bag. I add a 1/4 of the dried chicken, a 1/4 cup of the dried veggie mix, and then pour the packet of sesame peanut sauce and sesame oil in the bag. I mix well in the bag and then add a cup to a cup and a half of boiling water. Wait 10 minutes or so and you have a Thai chicken, noodles, & vegetable with peanut sauce entree'(that really what I call it).