Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dgleighton
What the...

dgleighton
What the...
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 6:27 pm 
Coasty wrote:
KB, You can try coscous as well. It cooks up really fast and you can add all types of good stuff. I like to add crasins, and nuts to my coscous! Jason
Love coscous!!! At home or on the trail. Also smoked salmon with herb and white wine cheese on an onion bagel with brown mustard.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 7:31 pm 
Bagel & cream cheese tuna sandwich
Ingredients: Two unsliced bagels ( travels better) - 6 oz One small packet of cream cheese ( the one or two ounce size) 2 - 3 oz One packet of Starkist tuna "steaks" - flavor of your choice, though I like Mesquite 4 - 5 oz optional - alfalfa sprouts, sunflower seeds ( shelled please) and/or cranberry sauce ( the tiny restaurant style plastic pack, foil covered type) Using the good sense that God gave you and what you already know about sandwiches, combine ingredients in such a way as to produce a sandwich. Eat it. Yum. Serves two. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Oberto hard salami. Nutrient and calorie dense - travels well. Approximately 3000 calories per ounce. Slice off chunks and eat. Throw away wrapper before reading ingredients. If you do read the ingredients, don't tell your fellow hikers about the pig hearts. Not recommended for squeamish ingredient checkers or people with heart conditions. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Mountain House Blueberry Cheese Cake Follow directions and eat. Labor intensive, but worth it. Double recommended serving size. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jello instant pudding Combine Jello pudding mix with Milkman brand instant milk ( with a *kiss* of cream!). Stick resulting product in snowbank - eat when congealed. Less labor intensive than MTN HSE BB Cheese Cake, and WAY cheaper. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Backwoods Burritos - recommended as a first night meal One to one and a half pounds flank steak, marinated in McCormic's Southwest or Mesquite seasoning, cut into strips and frozen solid. Wrap in multiple layers of aluminum foil prior to freezing. When packing, wrap package in gallon ziplock bag and surround with your extra clothes ( assuming a summer hike). One (or two) packs of Rosarita, el Ranchito, or similar dehydrated refried beans ( the best dehydrated foods bargain on earth). One ( or two) packs of Lipton or similar Spanish Rice mix. One package (12) LARGE flour tortillas. These tortillas should be THICK , fresh and ( hopefully) durable. +++ In camp: Amount of Spanish Rice, flank steak and Refried beans depends on how many people you are feeding. Feeds from three to five, depending on appetites. This recipe also requires that you have two pots, like in the MSR sets. Boil water - follow directions on bag and prepare Spanish Rice. Set aside. Boil water - pour specified quantity ( a little less maybe) into packet (s) of refried beans. Stir well, assuring a good mix as beans will tend to clump at bottom of bag. Try not to burn yourself or tip over bag. In a large aluminum no-stick frying pan , ( available at many fine WalMarts - remove handle to save weight) quickly stir fry flank steak. Cover and set aside. Wipe frying pan clean, heat tortillas and serve resultant combination of ingredients as each tortilla becomes warm. Start with rice, goosh beans over the top, then sprinkle with meat. If desired, fresh vegetables ( peppers, onions and such) and cheese may also be included, assuming someone is willing to carry them and that, in addition to the large frying pan ( suprisingly light - really!) you have a titanium cheese grater. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- French Dips Carry everything you need to make French Dips into the woods, and make them. Yum!!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 8:24 pm 
kbatku wrote:
Jello instant pudding Combine Jello pudding mix with Milkman brand instant milk ( with a *kiss* of cream!). Stick resulting product in snowbank - eat when congealed. Less labor intensive than MTN HSE BB Cheese Cake, and WAY cheaper.
A good rule is 2/3 cup dry instant milk per box of instant pudding and 1 3/4 cups cold water. Do it in a quart ziploc bag, seal well and shake away. You need to shake for a couple minutes, then chill in snow or a cold stream.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
cheakamus

cheakamus
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 9:29 pm 
sarbar wrote:
A good rule is 2/3 cup dry instant milk per box of instant pudding and 1 3/4 cups cold water. Do it in a quart ziploc bag, seal well and shake away. You need to shake for a couple minutes, then chill in snow or a cold stream.
Whenever I'm backpacking (sadly, not very often these days) I try to take full-fat milk powder. It tastes richer and (obviously) has more calories (but who's counting calories in the woods?) It's a lot harder to find than the skim milk stuff in most supermarkets, but ethnic markets often have it. It's usually made in Australia or New Zealand and intended for Middle Eastern consumers. Nestle's is one brand. Look for the Arabic writing on the can.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 31, 2008 9:40 pm 
Yes! Nido full fat milk is great. Super Walmart usually has it in tubs. Sometimes Big Lots gets it as well. You can also find full fat milk online as well. If you do use 26% fat full milk, store it in your frig to keep fresh between trips.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
geobob

geobob
PostFri Feb 01, 2008 12:53 am 
Bacon! This was back in the decadent (should have known better) days; i.e, early 80s. For some reason I can't recall too clearly (maybe experience?) we packed in a pound of bacon into an Olympics trip that went up the Dose, over O'Neil Pass, down the Duckabush, over Hayden Pass and out the Dose. One of the memorable moments of the trip was devouring a pound of bacon on the morning of the third day! It was gone in no time at all! The bears never had a chance! Otherwise, I go light, freeze dried, mac and cheese, instant oatmeal, and more of that boring stuff that makes me craze for a big fat juicy cheeseburger and chocolate shake as soon as I get back to "civilization". Tip: Spice up the freeze dried chicken noodle supreme with "crushed red pepper". And mix in some freeze dried vegies too! Yum.

I think there's an easier way on the far side
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostFri Feb 01, 2008 6:36 am 
sarbar wrote:
Yes! Nido full fat milk is great. Super Walmart usually has it in tubs. Sometimes Big Lots gets it as well. You can also find full fat milk online as well. If you do use 26% fat full milk, store it in your frig to keep fresh between trips.
Yeah, Nido by Nestle! I learned about it on this board a couple of years ago. It tastes so much better than that nonfat stuff sold in regular grocery stores gag.gif There is a store called Lenny's in front of the Renton Walmart that carries it. Interestingly enough, it also came in handy during last December's extended power outage, as finding fresh milk got a little iffy. A good emergency item to have on hand!

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostThu Feb 14, 2008 12:09 pm 
Layered Caramel Apple Cheesecake? Recipe here And more recipes... See my sig line. smile.gif

Logbear

Logbear
PostThu Feb 14, 2008 3:47 pm 
Hamburger and French Fries
Burger
Burger
Fries
Fries

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostThu Feb 14, 2008 4:08 pm 
I love that this thread has photos now!!! chickenleg.gif

Traildad

Traildad
PostFri Feb 15, 2008 8:04 am 
Oberto hard salami. Nutrient and calorie dense - travels well. Approximately 3000 calories per ounce. I would love to know where you find this stuff! Isn't salami more like 100 cals/oz?

Life is short so live it well.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 15, 2008 8:22 am 
You have to order the salami with "extra plutonium" flammable.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Traildad

Traildad
PostFri Feb 15, 2008 10:18 am 
Oh that stuff! I forgot about the "enriched" version! dizzy.gif

Life is short so live it well.
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue Feb 19, 2008 1:13 pm 
Now there are food links on the Master List. agree.gif winksmile.gif

Dranoel

Dranoel
PostFri Feb 22, 2008 2:59 pm 
Opus wrote:
Tom wrote:
Craving a burger on a hike? Cheeseburger in a can
Amazing - someone actually ate it! He is either incredibly brave or insane, I dont know which. Either way, here's the "trip report". paranoid.gif
Thanks for posting. Photo kind of says it all. smile.gif