Forum Index > Trip Reports > grand lake loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Sep 16, 2007 9:46 am 
i sent pics onto trail talk, too, and wanted to add more here. anyway, thank goodness for webcams! it was foggy and dreary in port angeles but checking ONP's webcam, it was sunny up the ridge. so, we took off at 8am, got to the trail head by 9. obstruction peak road is starting to show wear with washboard conditions. there were a few cars at the parking lot. mount olympus is spectacular! very, very few bugs...love late september hikes. we can see the fog hovering below and we smiled that we were in sunshine and warmth! by the time we got near grand lake we came upon some overnighters heading home. 3 school age kids proudly told us that they caught 11 fish in the lake! lunch on the log overlooking grand lake was surreal. after a half hour break, we headed down, down, down, past the bridge and the next, then it was up, up, up. the meadow is quite peaceful except for my occasional, i'm hot complaint, only to be reminded that i'll be soon complaining that i'm cold. we got to bobbi's brook (yep, i named it after myself!), grabbed a snack, and we contemplated the badger valley switchbacks! it wasn't too bad! i think we are stronger and fit with all the summer hikes. we were amazed that there were still many wildflowers on the trail. love the one we call 'old man whiskers or mouse on a stick'. anyone know its name? i think it's leftover from the anemone flower. a great 8 miler, a great day, then, OMG, the parking lot was overflowing with cars. we were glad we started the day early.
fall colors
fall colors
serpentine trail
serpentine trail
grand lake
grand lake
?
?
meadow
meadow
bridge crossing
bridge crossing
at bobbi's brook!
at bobbi's brook!
old man whiskers or mouse on a stick!
old man whiskers or mouse on a stick!
from switchback looking down the badger valley
from switchback looking down the badger valley
switchback trail
switchback trail
mt. olympus
mt. olympus

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Sep 16, 2007 9:49 am 
Nice...fall colors look like they're starting to show! Looks like you guys had a good time...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Sep 16, 2007 9:53 am 
Bobbi, yeah, the mouse-on-a-stick is a blown anenome. THe purpley-blue flower is a gentian, the harbinger of fall. I like the photo of you guys at your brook. Looks like a happy time up.gif I like photos of switchbacks!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Sep 16, 2007 10:10 am 
the fall colors are starting to show here on the olympic peninsula. thanks for the flower name...can't find it in my handy dandy book. BTW, there's a winery here called harbinger. next door is their other business, adventures in kayaking. wine and kayaking, hhhmmm. yes, a fun time... quark: i, too, love photos of switchbacks. reminds me of that old saying, no pain, no gain! i'll try to find a picture of 'bobbi's brook' when the wildflowers were in bloom, or i'll just have to go back next year! don't you love naming your own locales/plants/flowers? raining, breezing, icky, in port angeles, that's why i'm online, biggrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Sep 16, 2007 1:37 pm 
HJT...maybe you'll appreciate this cairn on a stick (on trail to silver lake, ONF)
cairn on a stick!
cairn on a stick!