Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Abandoned trails in ONP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon Sep 24, 2007 10:16 pm 
I'm thinking of doing some research on the abandoned trails in ONP. For instance, Promise Creek. Anyone have any ideas about historical references I might check out? Does anyone know when the first trail map for the park was made?

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Phil

Phil
PostTue Sep 25, 2007 8:04 pm 
I havent done anything systematic and don't have any exact references to send your way. However, I apparently have the same curiosity that you do, and I have done a lot of simple searches of the king county library catalogue which yielded old maps and historical references. Obviously use terms like "olympic national park", "lake cushman", pick any place name, repeat. Books about Crisler and Morgenroth, John Huelsdonk. Books by Carsten Lien, Murray Morgan, Robert Wood, of course. If you want to go WAY back seek out books by Elemendorf the anthropologist and books by and about Eels, the indian agent in Skokomish lands. A visit to the museum in Shelton will yield some fun small publisher pamphlets with old trails.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Sep 25, 2007 9:18 pm 
In previous threads I have mentioned the map collection at the UW Suzallo Library. The map librarian is always quite helpful and the collection is open for public review.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostFri Sep 28, 2007 3:23 pm 
Thank you both for the info. Much appreciated. Do you know who the makers of the maps at Suzallo are? Were they O'Neil and company or other surveyors? Any old forest service maps? Any early ONP park maps circa 1940s or 50s? I would really like to know when the first official trail map of the Olympics was printed for the general public. Any idea? I think I've read most all the authors that you mention as well as some local history books (Forks/Port Angeles.) It's a bit of a drive to Suzallo so any details you might have about the maps would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostFri Sep 28, 2007 5:55 pm 
Thanks HJT smile.gif

Luc

Luc
PostFri Sep 28, 2007 6:05 pm 
abandoned trails are fu-u-uhn!

GNGSTR
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostFri Sep 28, 2007 10:57 pm 
I agreeeee

geobob

geobob
PostWed Oct 03, 2007 11:58 pm 
ONP Map
I have a 1930 map of Olympic National Forest that shows trails (as wells as roads, rivers, and geographic features). It looks like it covers the entire peninsula and Kitsap County. It is folded and the seams are split in several places. It measures 28" x 30". The scale is 1 inch = 4 miles. The reverse side has text and pictures, including one of climbers with alpenstocks titled "Montaineers in the High Olympics". It is pretty fragile; everytime I handle it the seams tear a little more. If there is interest, I can try to take digital photos of it and post those here (after I figure out how).

I think there's an easier way on the far side
Phil

Phil
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 8:40 am 
xrbob wrote:
I have a 1930 map of Olympic National Forest that shows trails (as wells as roads, rivers, and geographic features). It looks like it covers the entire peninsula and Kitsap County.......If there is interest, I can try to take digital photos of it and post those here (after I figure out how).
Heck yes. Better yet find a way to scan it.

geobob

geobob
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 10:31 am 
1930 ONF Map
I agree, scanning it would be best, however, it is so fragile I think it would be torn apart going through a roller type scanner. I'm hesitant to tape it together (not sure why, maybe like refinishing an antique). I'm not sure if there are other ways to restore it. I have a flatbed scanner but the maximum size it can handle is 8 1/2" by 14". I guess I could scan it in sections. Part of the rationale for taking digital photos was that once I get the map layed out flat I wouldn't have to be continually handling it, which I would have to do if I was scanning it in sections. I'll look into this and see what I can do. This may take some time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 12:25 pm 
Hi xrbob Wow! How did you come across this map? Was it passed down to you or did you pick it up along the way? If you were able to scan/post it in pages that would be great. Or, better yet, if there was a way to make full copies of the map - a printing shop or something - I'd be more than glad to help with the cost to acquire a copy. Thanks for your post. biggrin.gif It made my day!

geobob

geobob
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 1:33 pm 
Hi Goats: It was my father's map. He was a boy scout from Manette (near Bremerton) in the late 20s and early 30s. He spent quite a bit of time at Camp Parsons and also roamed throughout the Olympics (mostly in the eastern part). Judging from how worn the map is, I suspect that it acompanied him on more than a few of his jaunts in the mountains. Wish he was still around so I could pick his brain.

Luc

Luc
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 1:38 pm 
goats gone wild wrote:
Or, better yet, if there was a way to make full copies of the map - a printing shop or something - I'd be more than glad to help with the cost to acquire a copy.
ditto.gif

GNGSTR
geobob

geobob
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 3:10 pm 
ok...I'll start to do some research. Seems like there are several options: digital photos, scanning, copying, printing. I have already taken a few digital photos of the map as a test, including one of the entire map; on that one when you zoom in the image gets "pixalated" pretty quickly. The close ups look real crisp. I'll try to post those here after I figure out how to use flickr, so you can get an idea about what the map looks like.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 3:12 pm 
Oh, the stories he could tell. I'd be willing to sit around the campfire and listen to them! campfire.gif lol.gif Did you read the great posts about the "good ol' days/gear" ? I bet he could add some to that thread. smile.gif