Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostFri Feb 22, 2008 3:00 am 
goats gone wild wrote:
Since you're short on time, and since your doing abandoned trails anyways, you could take the shortcut/abandoned trail behind the Enchanted Valley Chalet up to Marmot pass trail on your loop back to the NF Skok. Time of year would be a factor.
That's one hell of a shortcut lol.gif

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostFri Feb 22, 2008 1:04 pm 
It most certainly is. lol.gif lol.gif From the accounts of O'Neil and company, it sounds like there were quite a few "cliff" problems along the way. And this section took a good deal of route scouting before they were able to find a way to get the mules down. And even when they were successful, it was quite a precarious undertaking for the mules. I don't remember the story...but seems like they named one of their camps near here, Camp Dammit. Suppose I need to reread that part before I go recommending the "short cut". lol.gif lol.gif So, really, I'm relying on my friend, who swears it is a good shortcut and has used it multiple times. As I was going up to Marmot Pass via the long slow route from White Creek, I kept looking down off the ridge into the valley. There was indeed a lot of blow down to navigate and it was steep, but it did look doable. I was thinking I would prefer to hike up it rather than down it. I was thinking a person who takes off from behind the Chalet would probably hit the O'Neil Pass trail and then head east for a ways to take the way trail to Hart Lake. Overall it does cut out quite a few miles and, I think, time. It's a bit comparable to the long slog up the mule trail to Dodger Point vs the Dodger Point way trail from the Elwha. The gradient of both "long" trails are similar and about as lengthy. So, to summarize lol.gif , I definitely recommend someone take the shortcut, and then come back and give us the real-deal details so we can decide whether or not to use it. hockeygrin.gif Come on, Phil, be a good sport. up.gif lol.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostFri Feb 22, 2008 1:25 pm 
She must mean O'Neil Pass, near Marmot Lake...?

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostFri Feb 22, 2008 1:36 pm 
Gosh darn it. Busted again. Okay, FYI, it is pretty close to "O'Neil's Notch" clown.gif rotf.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostFri Feb 22, 2008 8:43 pm 
HJT wrote:
Do Tell, Part II: Connect to the Aurora Ridge Trail and finish the hike at the Aurora Ridge trailhead on the Soleduck Road.
B-I-N-G-O You got it, HJT. I was wondering how to knock off Aurora Ridge in the same traverse. lol.gif

graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Feb 23, 2008 8:46 am 
GGW, Here's a link to a discussion of the "Elk Elevator Shaft": https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20087&highlight=elk+elevator+shaft Graywolf

The only easy day was yesterday...
Bruce

Bruce
PostSat Feb 23, 2008 11:18 am 
EV to LaCrosse
"Elk Escalator" Ask Hazel Gilley EV ranger.....steeeeep

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSat Feb 23, 2008 11:27 am 
Thanks much for that link, graywolf up.gif up.gif Didn't know it actually had a cool name like Elk Elevator Shaft. Sounds spiffy. lol.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSat Feb 23, 2008 11:33 am 
Thanks for the clarification, Bruce. You would know for sure. hockeygrin.gif Though, give me six months and I'll get confused again....and start calling it "The Shafted Mule" or some such thing. lol.gif

Phil

Phil
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 10:15 am 
Ah ha the Elk escalator, good to know. Sounds like one of those short cuts that isnt short. lol. I would take the long way round, given a choice.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 11:38 am 
Hmmm.....I'm feeling "inclined" to a race. hockeygrin.gif lol.gif (And no teleport-cheating either.)

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 8:06 pm 
Stop it, HJT. You're only saying that because you know I will get lost without a guide. bawl.gif hockeygrin.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSun Feb 24, 2008 8:24 pm 
Only if my surgery is a brain transplant.

Luc

Luc
PostMon Feb 25, 2008 2:06 pm 
omg peeps whats the matter? can't do mt tom while you're at it? or maybe a quick jaunt down the skyline for a snapshot... seriously, a bit off the abandon trails topic....thread seems to be more aptly titled "The Epics and the crazy fools who attempt them" but i am very much enjoying this thread... as I am too, a mapaholic. can follow all these dream treks in my head. and yes. a cupla weeks, a food drop or 2. would be something special. my other thread on food caches (that i still think is not too bad of an idea if done correctly), https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7964344&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=food+cache which apparently most of ya'll don't think is possible, brings about the idea that a food cache can make trips like this possible with less dependence and hassle than a food drop...but thats another thread.

GNGSTR
RodF

RodF
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 6:28 pm 
Harkening back to the discussion on page 5 of this thread... here's a detail from the 1947 USGS Mt. Steel sectional, showing the Mt. Olson Trail from Lake Success to O'Neil Shelter, as well as the O'Neil Creek Trail.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva