Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Aug 26, 2023 9:03 am 
The Secret Agent, Joseph Conrad 1907 amazing how little things have changed in more than a century.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((į>

Ski
><((((į>
PostSun Sep 17, 2023 9:10 am 
recommended by a fellow collector this morning: A Story of Shears and Scissors 1848-1948 John Wiss & Sons * download in *.pdf format from archive.org *

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSun Sep 17, 2023 10:13 am 
East of the Divide, by Chester Marler. A must read for anyone that loves the east slopes from Ingallís Creek to the Canadian border

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Sep 17, 2023 10:24 am 
"The Underworld" by Susan Casey

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Sep 18, 2023 10:50 pm 
Just finished The Cold Vanish - Seeking the Missing in North America's Wilderness by Jon Billman. Billman has written numerous articles for periodicals like Outside and Bicycle about people who've gone missing on hikes, trail runs, etc. Most of the book is an extended narrative based on the unusual access he had to the family of Jacob Gray, missing in ONP in April of 2017. Interspersed with the chapters detailing his travels with Jacob's father as he obsessively searched for his son are chapters recounting other hiker (et al) disappearances in various parts of the country. I found the book too long and somewhat unsatisfying as I'd expected more general info on SAR ops and missing person search logistics. But it provides a sometimes too-detailed account of the family's travails. Billman shares insights gained while tagging along on trips with Gray's father, who, after diving the river numerous times, believes his son might have abandoned his original plans without telling anyone, and searches for him in places as far flung as LaPush, Chilliwack and Vancouver Island. There is a perspective one can glean from the book which might make partially comprehensible how Gray ended up in the mind-boggling place he was found.

"There are yahoos out there. Itís why we canít have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 19, 2023 9:12 am 
Ski wrote:
* download in *.pdf format from archive.org *
Oh, I love archive.org! I watch lots of noir movies and listen to old radio programs from that site.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((į>

Ski
><((((į>
PostTue Sep 19, 2023 11:15 am 
^ It's the home of the International Tool Catalog Library. If you should find yourself in need of an early catalog for any brand of tools (hand tools or power tools), you'll probably find it at ITCL. These are the catalogs that I have contributed to the site. I have several thousand more single-sheet catalog pages (like the "VARCO" page down toward the bottom) that I have yet to send to the site administrator. This is the URL to check for the most recent uploads. I also download quite a few *.mp3 files from the site. Usually it's old stuff from 78's. If you're looking for some spicy versions of "La Cumparsita", that's the place. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Oct 24, 2023 2:10 pm 
"Old Growth in a New World" edited by Thomas Spies and Sally Duncan. A rather technical read with some out standing spots. I've often felt as though I were in church when around old growth trees and one of the chapters addresses this: "The temporal rhythms of old-growth forests provide opportunities for encountering sacred time-particularly times of renewal and salvation. Fire, wind, flood and volcanic disturbances are often symbolized as times of rebirth." How do you feel when in old growth?

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")

Anne Elk
idoru

idoru
PostThu Oct 26, 2023 3:07 pm 
Currently switching back and forth between V by Thomas Pynchon, and Dilla Time by Dan Charnas. My biggest passion, even over hiking, is music (especially music that fucks with time), and I can't recommend Dilla Time enough for anybody even tangentially interested in the subject matter. Also picked up The Mysteries by none other than Bill Watterson - his first published work since Calvin & Hobbes ended - and John Kascht. Short (<5-minute read) little graphic novel, geared towards adults. It's been described as a bit bleak (though I disagree - it matches my worldview and I happen to find beauty in the theme, rather than depressing nihilism) and visually a lot darker than C&H, but I loved it.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Oct 26, 2023 10:50 pm 
Thanks for the tip about the Bill Watterson book, Idoru. Just published, too! Did you see the little documentary short on the publisher's Youtube channel about how Watterson & John Kascht did the illustrations?

idoru

idoru
PostFri Oct 27, 2023 9:01 am 
I hadn't! It's really cool to actually hear the typically-reclusive Watterson talking about his/their creative process in that. Thanks for sharing it!

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Oct 27, 2023 8:29 pm 
idoru wrote:
It's really cool to actually hear the typically-reclusive Watterson talking about his/their creative process in that.
Yes! And I thought, "Great, finally we'll get to see what the elusive Mr. Watterson looks like. Nope! Not the other guy, either. A year or two ago there was a documentary about Bill Watterson on Netflix; or more accurately, the comic strip: Dear Mr. Watterson. Watterson wasn't in there, either. Stopped in at 3rd Place Books today on my way home from the east side, just to see if they had "Mysteries". I'm going to wait until tomorrow to dig into it. *edit addition: It's marvelous. And how timely. At least get a library copy to read, folks. It's short and wonderful. I'm going to give it as a gift to a few friends.

idoru
Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Nov 17, 2023 11:26 am 
Romney, A Reckoning Usually politicians write the book AFTER leaving office, which made this one intriguing enough to read. The biographer did a very good job in revealing the good man behind the politician.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Nov 17, 2023 12:17 pm 
^^^ I never cared for Romney b/c of the nature of his biz endeavors before entering politics (for one thing), but he's risen quite a few notches in my book because of his actions and comments in recent years. I heard the author interviewed more than once since the book's been published - all I can say is WOW! Serious idealism and bridge burning by MR!!

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSat Nov 18, 2023 10:08 am 
This post is not related to specific books, but to reading. I confess that most of my free time reading now is spent sitting in front of a screen, whereas 20 years ago, it was spent reading a good book. I miss those days. More to the point, the satisfaction I get from reading interesting things online seems less, much less actually, than from reading books. So as I've become a captive of the modern world, this morning I turned to Bing's AI to comment on what I've thought. _________ "Does the human brain work differently reading text on a computer screen than reading text on paper in books?" Bingo's response: Yes, the human brain does work differently when reading text on a computer screen compared to reading text on paper. Here are some key differences: Comprehension: Print reading is easier to comprehend than digital text. This could be because print provides spatial and tactile cues to help readers process words on a page. Digital reading impairs comprehension, particularly for longer, more complex texts. Speed and Overconfidence: We tend to read digital text more quickly, which can lead to overconfidence in our understanding. This is known as the shallowing hypothesis, which suggests that constant exposure to fast-paced, digital media trains the brain to process information more rapidly and less thoroughly. Emotional Processing: A study found that the brain processes physical and digital materials differently. Print materials were more likely to activate the medial prefrontal cortex and cingulate cortex, both involved in processing emotions. Visual and Spatial Processing: Reading print also generated more activity in the parietal cortex, which processes visual and spatial cues. Distractions: Digital screens often come with distractions like notifications, which can interrupt the reading process. Mindset: If people associate screen time with casual web-surfing they may rush through without fully absorbing the text. Both scientists agree digital is fine to scan news headings for main ideas, but longer, complicated texts are best read in print, especially to retain the details. However, we shouldnít ditch digital reading; instead we should consider the situation when choosing our reading medium. _________ So I appreciate the book suggestions here. The computer is cheating us, as most of us have probably suspected all along. And the irony that I lazily turned to Bingo to confirm this is not lost on me.