Forum Index > Food & Grub > What food/snacks do you bring?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jennlin
Prissy Dayhiker

jennlin
Prissy Dayhiker
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 12:43 pm 
What food/snacks do you bring when you go hiking? I'm thinking of daylong hikes or short one night trips. What kind of cooking utensils do you bring? Just wondering how "normal" I am.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Grinch
Local Burger Tester

Grinch
Local Burger Tester
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 1:01 pm 
Summer sausage, smoked gouda cheese. I also bring some cliff bars or something like that, but nothing tastes as good as the cheese and sausage.

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 1:06 pm 
Clif bars, fruit leather, snickers, various trail mixes from trader joes, tiger's milk bars, summer sausage and extra sharp cheddar... For overnighters I bring a small pot, spork, and freeze dried dinner.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
reststep

reststep
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 1:10 pm 
I have found that grapes taste really good. I put them in a plastic container. Sometimes I will take fresh orange slices once again in a plastic container. Chocolate really seems to hit the spot when hiking. I buy the large Hershey simi-sweet bars and break them up and put them in a plastic bag. I always, well most of the time anyway, start out with a power bar in my pocket which I nibble on as I hike.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 1:41 pm 
If I'm with my kids (all under five years) I darn well better have M&Ms and hot cocoa. M&Ms are generically referred to as SHiBs, Special Hiking Bites. The "fun size" packs are ideal, but there ain't a lot of fun to be had in such a small bag in my opinion. I love pot noodle at the end of day of hiking. Must be the salt or the knowledge that if the combination of hiking and the pot noodle doesn't kill me nothing else will. Getting back to the car I almost always crave potato chips and Coke. Mmm... salt.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 1:44 pm 
Potato chips=potassium. That is why you crave them wink.gif It isn't the salt necessarily! I pretty much carry whatever catches my eyes or I am in the mood for. Almost anything can be made trail-do-able food wise smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 1:49 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Potato chips=potassium. That is why you crave them wink.gif It isn't the salt necessarily!
Great, now I'm going to have to eat squished bananas frown.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 1:55 pm 
moosefish wrote:
sarbar wrote:
Potato chips=potassium. That is why you crave them wink.gif It isn't the salt necessarily!
Actually, no! Potatoes are one of the best sources of natural found potassium around smile.gif Kettle brand are my favorite....crunchy, fatty..just a bit of salt to get me drinking water. I figure they are my perfect hiking food! I buy the "king size" lunch bags of Kettle at QFC in the deli department......take them on EVERY trip! I eat about 1/2 a bag a day, and no more cramps in summer!

jennlin
Prissy Dayhiker

jennlin
Prissy Dayhiker
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 2:19 pm 
POTATOES are a good source of potassium? that's got to be one of the greatest things i've heard all my life. i was always told to eat bananas for potassium. potato chips from now on! what i normally bring for lunch on a day hikes is a sack of fried chicken from qfc or albertsons. we just keep it in the paper bag that they give it to us in (we ask for no box), then double plastic bag it. we also get potato wedges and sometimes corn dogs too....whatever we can find in the hot food department at a grocery store lol. when we come upon a spot appropriate for a fire, we'll stick our chicken on some branches and heat it up. delicious. warm day/summer hikes i like to bring a bag of salad too... as for snacks, we usually bring fig newtons, granola bars, squished and broken potato chips, and some sorta fruit to make us feel better about our lunch.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 2:30 pm 
Apricots are also a great source of potassium up.gif I get the packages of single serving dried apricots at the store, fig bars from Trader Joes (in the granola bar section), tater chips, I often carry homemade cup of soups to have for lunch (I bag them up in snack sized bags, for one cup hot water). I love carrying bagels and artsy cream cheeses/Swiss cheese for dayhikes. Fresh fruit is good also. Love grapes, Raspberries......I often carry fruit on day 1/2 of trips. On backpacking trips I bring my homemade Fauxbaker and make hot cake and biscuits (yes, easy to do!). I eat a lot of pasta nowdays. Beans. Olive oil. Mashed potato recipes. I do eat the recipes I post every week on my blog. Tested by me and the kidlet winksmile.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 2:50 pm 
--apples - when you are done through em in da bushes --dried fruit - less weight --pretzels - salt and bread that is good all the time --Johnsonville Cheddar Brats - eat them right outta the bag, no cooking needed-most excellent! --Halva--kinda expensive but tasty and very high in fat--very good for energy for the next day. Those Polish guys who did the winter climbs of 8000 meter peaks used to eat this stuff all the time. Good for after dinner. --a sandwhich with ham and cheese and some red peppers and alfala sprouts --Sweet Maui Onion potato chips, best damned potato chips on planet Earth --also best pasta is angel hair pasta when cooking. it takes the least amount of time to cook and uses up the least amount of fuel.

Art is an adventure.
yukon222

yukon222
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 3:22 pm 
Sliced summer sausage Sharp cheddar cheese Smoked almonds Gatorade, water Something sweet - hard candies or Gummi bears Adult beverage, perhaps Yukon Jack :-) I don't bother with a stove for a dayhike or single overnight trip.

jennlin
Prissy Dayhiker

jennlin
Prissy Dayhiker
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 3:30 pm 
oh yes..i forgot about the gummi bears. my bf is obsessed with these and gummi worms. stefan -- good tip with the angel hair...i'll have to try that sometime...doesnt the dry pasta break while in your backpack? how do you protect it?

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 3:34 pm 
sarbar wrote:
moosefish wrote:
sarbar wrote:
Actually, no! Potatoes are one of the best sources of natural found potassium around smile.gif Kettle brand are my favorite....crunchy, fatty..just a bit of salt to get me drinking water. I figure they are my perfect hiking food! I buy the "king size" lunch bags of Kettle at QFC in the deli department......take them on EVERY trip! I eat about 1/2 a bag a day, and no more cramps in summer!
Raw potatoes are a great source of potassium, however, the processing into chips removes about 30% of it and adds a LOT of fat, calories and sodium (salt). Hard to beat the taste but not very healthy, especially if one has a lipid or weight issue. http://www.aicr.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=11167 A far healthier way to get our potassium is from raw fruits and vegetables. Cooking anything destroys a lot of the potassium. Even in our less then healthy diet population very few are potassium deficient and most are overloaded on salt, fat and calories.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 3:36 pm 
Ditto the halvah, Stef. The marbled is scrumptious. Cashews, home-dehydrated fruit, cooked hamburger patty or pork chop or chicken, a few hunks of cheese, and on a dayhike sometimes I throw in a yogurt drink. Payday candybars or Cadbury chocolate. For a cold rainy day a thermos of spicy tea; ginger or Good Earth Sweet Spices. I usually forget about it, and unearth from the bottom of my pack the following weekend, but there's a 25 percent chance I'll remember, so it's worth taking it. For overnight, I dehydrate pasta and vegies if I'm taking stuff I made myself; otherwise those lipton pasta dinners and a small packet of tuna or the Red River salmon packets that REI sells are good. You don't have to cook them for the 9 minutes they say to; I boil 'em for about a minute after adding them to the boiling water, then take the pot off the flame and let it set about 3-4 minutes and they finish cooking that way.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting