Forum Index > Food & Grub > What food/snacks do you bring?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 3:53 pm 
BeyondLost wrote:
Raw potatoes are a great source of potassium, however, the processing into chips removes about 30% of it and adds a LOT of fat, calories and sodium (salt). Hard to beat the taste but not very healthy, especially if one has a lipid or weight issue. http://www.aicr.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=11167 A far healthier way to get our potassium is from raw fruits and vegetables. Cooking anything destroys a lot of the potassium. Even in our less then healthy diet population very few are potassium deficient and most are overloaded on salt, fat and calories.
Kettle chips are not overly high in sodium (very reasonable in fact). I have lived on an extreme low sodium diet for 2 years, and at the same time have to eat as much potassium as I can. I have had my body stripped of nearly all of its potassium, and it was NOT fun. There was a point I had to take prescription potassium "horse pills". Signs of low potassium can be mistaken quite easily for other issues when we deplete our bodies resources. Lethargic feelings, extreme tiredness, lack of appetite, etc can be signs a person needs to get their electrolytes back in order. If you can eat something that will click your body into drinking as well, even better. And the fat issue in chips? When hiking long days we have little to worry about THAT. In the summer I can drop 10 lbs hiking for 4-5 days due to the miles and elevation. I tend to drizzle oil on everything. Fat also helps keep you regular on the trail as well....so you don't get the dreaded "hiker back-up". hmmm.gif Do I eat bags of chips at home? Heck no! Buy high quality and enjoy them while working out though - and don't feel guilty. *Disclaimer: I have also been seen eating a dish of mayo at Sunrise with french fries, onion rings and potato chips while hiking the WT out of not having nearly any fat in my trail diet in 2004. I also have been seen eating an entire Payday Avalanche candy bar in one sitting. Those puppies have 24 grams of fat per bar. Oinky goodness.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 3:55 pm 
If you haven't heard of Harmony House Foods, check them out. I buy almost all my vegetables, cooked & dried beans and flavored TVP from them. Their service is very fast, top level products. up.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Nordic

Nordic
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 3:56 pm 
For the main meal: - sandwiches, usually Wasa bread with sundried smoked turkey or smoked ham or roasted sausage, Jarlsberg cheese and tomato - hard boiled eggs For dessert/snacking: - homebaked cake/pastry (whatever is around at home at the time) - apples - dried fruit (apples, strawberries, blueberries) - cashews / hazelnuts / almonds - occasionally bananas For emergencies (always carry with me): - milk chocolate (Lindt, Milka, Ritter Sport, Toblerone are my most favorite brands) For drinking: - water - sometimes Red Bull

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 4:00 pm 
winter time is the best.. nothing spoils. I love cheese and crackers, suasage, fresh fruit, hummus wraps...heavy food up.gif I also carry little cans of v8 juice for a good energy slam..I find that those energy bars are too hard in the winter so I save those for the summer.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 10:03 pm 
Dried roasted bat abdomens. Shredded carpet and sawdust trail mix. Mango liquid body wash.
jennilin wrote:
Just wondering how "normal" I am.
Me too ?

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 10:24 pm 
Stefan wrote:
--apples - when you are done through em in da bushes
Perhaps I am odd in this way, but I prefer to eat my apples.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 11:32 pm 
On a dayhike, anything goes. Good ham and muenster on a bagel with hot mustard and sweet red peppers; a green salad with tuna; leftover scalloped potatoes heated up on a little stove (snowhoeing); apples, oranges, nuts, sour balls (the candy, get your mind out of the gutter!)... On backpacks, my lunches tend towards salami and cheese, landjaeger (dried summer sausage), wasa bread or pilot bread, tortillas, instant humus, peanut butter, dried fruit, pouches of tuna with fresh bell pepper (eat them like apples, they travel really well), dried fruit, halvah (great stuff, go for the oily pieces), trail mix....... I use my trail mix as my emergency food. I mix up nuts, dried fruit, m&m type candies, and whatever other yummy looking stuff I find in the bulk bins. The bulk of it is nuts and dried fruit. In a pinch, this is breakfast, it can be lunch, and I've eaten it for dinner before.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Jan 17, 2008 11:48 pm 
Dayhiking only here. On the way to the TH: Big homemade smoothie, with bananas, berries and juice PBJ On the trail: 1/2 soy cheeze pizza with red peppers and turkeyroni from the night before Chips, usually salt and pepper kettle chips Big ziploc of raisin/Almond mix Fig Newmans, best figbars available Two Clif Bars, usually brownie Occasionally I make tuna sandwiches Bagels and individual cream cheese pouches are also nice, especially with landjeager If it's going to be warm I freeze a quart of pink lemonade the night before. It keeps the tuna sandwhiches cool in my pack, and by the time we summit it's become a nice, sweet, pink slurpee-like drink. Mmmmmmmmmm!

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostFri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 am 
Gummy bears biggrin.gif I like these things called "Think Thin" bars. They're really yummy agree.gif Beef jerkey up.gif Ham and brie sandwich chow.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss