Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Elk Lick hot springs? (Olympic NP, W Fk Dosewallips)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RodF

RodF
PostSat Mar 15, 2008 3:08 pm 
Elk Lick hot springs reportedly existed at the mouth of Elk Lick Creek, on the south bank of the west fork Dosewallips River, across from Diamond Meadows campsite. Do they still exist? "Numerous hot mineral springs run down a lushly green hillside into pools and into the Dosewallips River. Elk Lick got its name from the native elk licking the rocks to get the minerals and salts that they need. The springs are about 102F, not too hot, but enough to soak all day without overheating." link

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chippster
Shiver me timbers

Chippster
Shiver me timbers
PostSat Mar 15, 2008 3:33 pm 
sounds like we should start up a little expedition and go find them up.gif

https://nwtd.co Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
reststep

reststep
PostSat Mar 15, 2008 4:20 pm 
That is the first I have heard about them. It sounds interesting. I am going to have to check topo.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostThu Mar 20, 2008 1:55 pm 
http://www.communitywalk.com/location/elk_lick_hot_springs/olympic_pennisula/washington/hot_springsno_information/11610 Elk Lick Hot Springs Address: Olympic Pennisula, Washington USA Category: Hot Springs-no information Used in the following map: C/O Hiking & Soaking in the Western U.S. & Canada GPS GeoCoords: 47.719027,-123.272641 Numerous hot mineral springs run down a lushly green hillside into pools and into the Dosewallips River. Elk Lick got its name from the native elk licking the rocks to get the minerals and salts that they need. The springs are about 102F, not too hot, but enough to soak all day without overheating. The pH is 8.0 and the flow is quite small. Snow and avalanche dangers encourage summer use only. The springs are across the Dosewallips River from the Diamond Meadow shelter, 6 tent sites are at the campground. The Dosewallips campground is 6 1/2 miles back the inbound trail; it has water and restrooms. Directions: In Brinnon, leave US 101 and take the Dosewallips River Road to it end at the Dosewallips Guard Station and Campground. Follow the trail west for 1.4 miles and cross the river at the Dosewallip Shelter. Continue on the trail for another 5.3 miles to the Diamond Meadow Shelter. The creek opposite the shelter is Elk Lick Creek. Cross the river and follow it to where it flows into the Dosewallips River. Look for game trails that lead to the springs; they are nearby. Source: Rick Perkins NW Nudist Notebook, 1994 Note: Heavy spring flooding in recent years may have altered this area.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 11:06 am 
Just discovered this spring from my Hot Springs of Western Washington book. Anyone been there recently?

veronika

veronika
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 11:20 am 
This might be a “Sekrit” spot. 🤪

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 11:32 am 
Haha, forgive me for bumping then. wink.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 31, 2020 12:36 pm 
Was there back in the day easy walk from campsite. No pool just eom elk prints filled with stinky water.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
haydenslides

haydenslides
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 2:38 pm 
As we are always on the hunt for hidden hot springs, my friend and I searched around in the area of the confluence of Elk Lick Creek and West Fork Dosewallips. We were on a trip from the Dosewallips washout over Anderson Pass to Enchanted Valley. We camped at Diamond Meadows and crossed the Dose on a log jam. We searched the area opposite Diamond Meadows and found several mineral springs smelling of sulfur depositing whitish material. Alas, all were cold. But we had an enjoyable time dreaming of lost hot springs and we found a very old fire ring along the bank of Elk Creek.
ElkLick1
ElkLick1
ElkLick2
ElkLick2
ElkLick3
ElkLick3

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Sep 04, 2020 9:50 am 
Wow! Thanks for sharing. Exciting to see the place in pictures. I came across some white algae near the Paradise Glacier on Rainier a weekend ago. I've never been to a spring in person before but I've heard this is normally an indication of at least a mineral spring? https://photos.app.goo.gl/3k3DDWa7zcTRxhHd8