Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sonny Boy Loop, 4/1 – 4/2/2000
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 1:02 am 
Dates: 4/1/00 – 4/2/00 Peaks: Sonny Boy 6971, Point 5954, “Sunny Girl” 6960 Party: mtnmike, Stefan, Matt This trip is from April 2000, but I’m posting it now because I’ve received many questions about it. Actually, it’s all been the same question from Guiran, but he’s asked it many times. Sonny Boy is located in a particularly scenic spot, at the end of a pair of long ridges extending north toward the Cascade River Road, with Kindy Creek and the Buckindy Range on its west, and South Fork Cascade River and the whole Ptarmigan Traverse on its east. This trip featured one of the most spectacular camps I’ve experienced. In fact, the camp ended up with a full-page photo in Backpacker magazine. (See the Epilogue section) It also featured my fastest drive ever to the Cascade River Road. (See the Prologue section.) And it featured some of my favorite views of peaks rising like islands amid a sea of clouds, as a tide of fog climbed up below us while we ascended to the summit, and then magically dispersed when we descended.
Sonny Boy Loop Map
Sonny Boy Loop Map
Sonny Boy Vicinity Map
Sonny Boy Vicinity Map
One other note, the photos are scans I did long ago from old film negatives. I haven’t had time to go back and re-scan them or clean them up, so some are rather grainy. Prologue: Better Late Than Never It had been a frustrating spring. Bad weather had cancelled all my trips. But this weekend promised sunny skies for Sonny Boy. I didn’t know anything about the area, but Mike & Stefan had the route planned out. I awoke Saturday morning to find that I had forgotten to turn on my alarm. By the time I threw together my stuff and got to the P&R, I’d be a full hour late. None of us had cell phones back then. I knew they’d be long gone before I could get there. Nooo!!! Back then, I wouldn’t usually travel solo in the backcountry. But the sun was shining, and I so wanted to get out. Plus, this route had an exceptionally well-defined ridge to follow. On the map, it looked like someone had just drawn one sharp arc after another, leading upward 5 miles and 5000 feet to the intended camp. Higher up, it became rougher, but by then we’d be on snow, so I figured I could follow their tracks. Since they would have reduced their gear after my absence, I threw in my bivy sack and some extra fuel, and raced north to try to catch up. I set a record time driving to Marblemount, 1:35 from downtown Seattle. It turns out you can get up to 80mph on the straightaways north of Rockport, and even up to 60mph on some parts of the Cascade River Road. On the Found Creek Road #1570, a creek was cutting across the road at one point, but my Corolla only scraped a little bit when I drove over it. I turned left onto Sonny Boy Road (the side road that crosses Kindy Creek), and found Mike's truck parked a couple hundred yards past the creek, at the base of the ridge. Trip Report Approach Hike: Ridge West of Sonny Boy Creek From the parking spot, I had to scramble up a steep embankment, but then found a bit of old road leading west to the abandoned Kindy Creek trail. I followed the trial upward a couple hundred feet, but stayed on it too long, which led me below the steep east side of the ridge, so I had to scramble up again to get on the ridge crest. From there, the ridge was a steady moderate climb for the next couple miles. Circa 3000 feet I began to hit snow, and was reassured to find Stefan and Mike’s tracks. Actually, it was sort of a relief to just follow their tracks at my own pace, and not worry about keeping up with them or slowing them down. The tracks kept me on course as the ridge got much steeper before Point 5775 and then made a steep sidehill traverse to bypass Point 5785.
View from the Cascade River bridge, ascent ridge at right, descent ridge at left
View from the Cascade River bridge, ascent ridge at right, descent ridge at left
View from Point 5775, just before 5785 bypass.  The camp is visible on the crest below the summits in the distance.
View from Point 5775, just before 5785 bypass. The camp is visible on the crest below the summits in the distance.
5785 bypass & Buckindy
5785 bypass & Buckindy
As I came over these points, I could see a fantastic sight mile ahead of me. Perched way high on a snow crest, with magnificent peaks spread around it, was a bright yellow tent with figures in a gray coat and red coat standing by it. Following the ridge onward, I arrived at camp to surprised greetings from the others, who had arrived about two hours earlier.
Camp & Sonny Boy in the distance
Camp & Sonny Boy in the distance
Camp & Sonny Boy
Camp & Sonny Boy
Camp on Snow Crest
Camp on Snow Crest
Camp & Sentinel Peak
Camp & Sentinel Peak
It was a beautiful evening in camp – clear skies, warm air, no wind. We enjoyed the views while the sun sank into an orange haze in the west.
Relaxing on my bivy sack
Relaxing on my bivy sack
Johannesburg in evening light
Johannesburg in evening light
Formidable & Spider in evening light
Formidable & Spider in evening light
Mike in camp
Mike in camp
Sunset on our approach tracks
Sunset on our approach tracks
Sunset
Sunset
Approach Stats: 5.1 miles, 5200 cumulative gain, 7:30 hours. Sonny Boy Summits In the morning, we awoke to find fog rising below us to fill all the valleys. As we headed upward toward the summits, the vaporous sea rose behind us, covering our camp, but leaving the summits clear.
Fog filling the South Fork Cascade Valley
Fog filling the South Fork Cascade Valley
Clouds nearing our camp, with Eldorado behind
Clouds nearing our camp, with Eldorado behind
The route to the summits was simple – follow the ridge upward, then traverse west behind all the summits, circling around the reach the twin higher summits from their south side. When I arrived a little behind the others, they were already posing each on their own summit.
Mike & Stefan on Sonny Boy summits.
Mike & Stefan on Sonny Boy summits.
Stefan & Mike on the eastern summit. With Chaval, Mutschler, & Snowking behind.
Stefan & Mike on the eastern summit. With Chaval, Mutschler, & Snowking behind.
Matt at eastern summit.  With middle of Ptarmigan Traverse behind.
Matt at eastern summit. With middle of Ptarmigan Traverse behind.
Matt on summit, with north end of Buckindy Traverse behind
Matt on summit, with north end of Buckindy Traverse behind
The tide of clouds had risen to about 6400 feet by now, so all the surrounding summits stood out as individual islands, with the intervening lowlands hidden below the puffy white surface. At some of the higher divides, we could watch the clouds flow like waterfalls over the edges into adjacent drainages.
Looking ESE: LeConte, Sentinel & Old Guard
Looking ESE: LeConte, Sentinel & Old Guard
Looking SE:  German Helmet, Dome, Spire Point
Looking SE: German Helmet, Dome, Spire Point
Looking south: Long Gone in center, corner of Bruseth at right
Looking south: Long Gone in center, corner of Bruseth at right
Looking SW: Buckindy
Looking SW: Buckindy
Looking WNW: Snowking
Looking WNW: Snowking
Cornices & peaks east of us
Cornices & peaks east of us
Fog clearing to the south.  (Labeled with peaks we climbed on a later Bruseth trip.)
6 labels
Fog clearing to the south. (Labeled with peaks we climbed on a later Bruseth trip.)
When we headed back down to camp, the fog magically dissipated so that our camp was back in clear air by the time we arrived.
My old Gregory Pack, Swallows Nest ice axe, and Leki poles, packed and ready to leave camp.
My old Gregory Pack, Swallows Nest ice axe, and Leki poles, packed and ready to leave camp.
Stats: 3 miles round trip, 1200 cumulative gain (800 net), 3 hours travel, 1 hour on summit Exit Hike: Ridge East of Sonny Boy Creek We made a loop trip by exiting via the ridge on the other side of Sonny Boy creek, which also included the prominences of Points 5994 and 6160 (aka Sonny Girl). First the route dropped down to the 5500-foot col above Sonny Boy Lake No. 2, and back up to Point 5994. Then down again to the 5400-foot col above Sonny Boy Lake No. 1, and back up to a minor 5600-foot prominence. Then a smaller down, up, down, and further up toward Sonny Girl. By now I was tired, so I bypassed the climb over Sonny Girl by traversing on the west side. This included a bit of steep side-hilling, but brought me around to the ridge heading northwest from Sonny Girl, which we wanted to descend. At that time, I hadn't yet become enlightened about the sacred importance of 400-foot prominences, so I left an orphan there. (Note, the high point is actually the southern 6160 summit, not the 6139 point marked on the USGS map.) Mike and Stefan went over the top, but on the north side encountered terrain steep enough that they had to rappel briefly in the trees.
Tracks going over Point 5994
Tracks going over Point 5994
Tracks going over Point 5600
Tracks going over Point 5600
Looking back from near Sonny Girl, across all the ups and downs on the eastern Sonny Boy Creek ridge, and our camp location at the flat end of the western Sonny Boy Creek Ridge
Looking back from near Sonny Girl, across all the ups and downs on the eastern Sonny Boy Creek ridge, and our camp location at the flat end of the western Sonny Boy Creek Ridge
Then it was just down the nose of the ridge, with a somewhat steep section midway, till we reached the road and walked back to the cars.
Descending the eastern Sonny Boy Creek Ridge
Descending the eastern Sonny Boy Creek Ridge
Exit Stats: 6.7 miles, 1500 cumulative gain, 6500 cumulative descent, 6 hours Total Trip Stats: 14.8 miles, 7900 gain Epilogue: Featured in Backpacker Magazine That summer, Mike was testing convertible tents for an article in Backpacker magazine. When the October 2000 issue came out, the title page for the article was our Sonny Boy camp.
Sonny Boy Camp in October 2000 Backpacker Magazine
Sonny Boy Camp in October 2000 Backpacker Magazine
Postscript: Some other pictures of the Sonny Boy Ridges
From the Triad High Route (July ‘00):  Sonny Boy loop approach ridge (center) and exit ridge (lower center).  Also a nice view of the Buckindy traverse at top.
From the Triad High Route (July ‘00): Sonny Boy loop approach ridge (center) and exit ridge (lower center). Also a nice view of the Buckindy traverse at top.
From Teebone Ridge (March 04):  Sonny Boy Creek dead in center of photo, approach ridge and summit are right of creek, exit ridge is left of creek
From Teebone Ridge (March 04): Sonny Boy Creek dead in center of photo, approach ridge and summit are right of creek, exit ridge is left of creek
From Long Gone (August 02):  View of the south side of the Sonny Boy summits
From Long Gone (August 02): View of the south side of the Sonny Boy summits

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 6:27 am 
Thanks for the great TR Matt. The pictures are fab and how fun to be in the pages of Backpacker Magazine.

Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 6:30 am 
sweet report Matt. now this is the stuff I have been wanting to see! good stuff you guys! up.gif

Guiran

Guiran
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 7:10 am 
Thanks - Matt, now I really need to get this one in.

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 8:53 am 
good times. its nice to see I was using much of that same equipment 8 years ago instead of contributing to landfill.

Art is an adventure.
paultkuhn

paultkuhn
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 9:04 am 
Fantastic Matt. Now those pictures are awesome. Some of them were sort of John Scurlock-esque. Especially the ones down to the PT peaks. Hey, in the picture down to Dome Elephant Head sticks out pretty well.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 9:18 am 
So many good shots! Really, really nice.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 10:20 am 
Matt wrote:
This trip is from April 2000, but I’m posting it now because I’ve received many questions about it. Actually, it’s all been the same question from Guiran, but he’s asked it many times.
Lol! Pestering Matt pays off! Guiran and I have been talking about doing this trip for about a year now, after I saw it on your website Matt. smile.gif Hopefully he doesn't go and do it without me this weekend, but after seeing all these beautiful pics, I couldn't really blame him. Thanks for the awesome TR!

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 12:16 pm 
Matt, I'm really glad you resurrected this TR. The trip was before my time on NWHikers, and I would have hated to miss it. It has some beautiful pictures & awesome narrative. Your description of the fog/clouds rolling in brought back some strong memories for me. It's something to see voids being filled and islands created. And your pictures do it justice. up.gif The picture of the tent on Backpacker is supreme, as is the picture of Stefan & Mike on their own Sonny Boy peaks. up.gif Good job!!

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
run4cache

run4cache
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 12:59 pm 
Breathtaking photos and summits! What's was the avy danger like on that trip? I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to risk taking - not enough to keep me off of scrambles but enough to cause me to stay away from unstable slopes and away from mountains when the danger is moderate and above. I would love to do more "winter scrambling" but I lack confidence in this area.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 1:48 pm 
Nice! up.gif I've often looked at those ridgelines on Topo and wondered whether it'd make sense to run them in the summertime. Any idea of brush / passability, or whether they were really only "doable" because of the snowpack? Thanks again for the TR, Matt!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 2:00 pm 
Nice to see a trip report from this area...I've looked at it on the map a number of times. Breathtaking photos too! up.gif up.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Yet

Yet
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 10:34 pm 
Fun to read an 8-year-old TR from you, Matt. Nice to see pics of you back in your 20s, too. wink.gif