Forum Index > Food & Grub > Let's talk nutrition.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 7:16 am 
Ok, now that I have some free time I'm going to be getting my butt outdoors. I was just thinking about nutrition. I've got the whole B.L.D. thing down pretty well. What I'm in need of help with is what you all take in between meals to keep your system up and running. What you use to avoid spikes in energy so to speak. Any help is appreciated. We're never to old to learn. winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 7:41 am 
between meals nutrition
Sugar is not the best choice for nonbonk insurance. Nuts are calorie dense and easy to repackage if need be. My favorite snack is wholewheat bagels with PB (and J if needed), accompanied by nuts or nutty trailmix. One more thought is that on a multi day trip spice can be nice so I pack homemade spicy trail mix for every other day. or if this sounds too ambitious, snickers bars packed in your spare socks to avoid melting.

illegitimi non carborundum!
Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 10:05 am 
It depends on the activity for me. If I am going to be doing something very intense, say climbing a volcano or riding stp, I will usually have Clif Bar Bloks or the new ones from Stinger handy to supplement the other various bars. If I am backpacking, then I tend to go for trail mix, various bars, and dried fruit (Check Trader Joes, they have a lot, but some of that stuff is so loaded with sugar you need to be careful, I try to get the stuff without added sugar). I agree with the1mitch in that sugar isn't always what you need, but I think it really depends on the activity and pace to really determine what you need. If you are worried about bonking, just make sure you have a steady flow of something going in you. Drink before you are thirsty and eat before you are hungry.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 2:03 pm 
I carry high potassium foods such as bananas and potato chips along with my usual fare. By keeping that part of my electrolytes up I stay feeling pretty decent most of the time - and few cramps. I carry cheese, nut butters, fresh fruit, etc. Of course my eating style is directly affected due to having braces on. Ah well.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 2:49 pm 
B.L.D. ? Don't you meant BLT...as in bacon lettuce and tomato ? Yeah they sure do hit the spot. biggrin.gif For hiking it's trail mix, (especially home made with some oily nuts like walnuts and macadamia's, along with the obligatory peanuts, raisins and dried fruits...oh yeah don't forget those "yogurt covered" things, I can't tell what they are, but they're good) and fresh fruit for me. Meats are O.K. after you're done for the day, but they form a concrete lump for me while I'm hiking. I think that you've just got to find things that digest fast and that you can munch on through the day. How do you do banana's Sarbar ? They always seem to end up flattened if I take whole ones. I guess I shouldn't fall on them huh ?

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 2:53 pm 
Mike E. Check out the Banana Guard

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 3:04 pm 
I get a bit unripe ones and pack them carefully - be it in a pot or in a Pringles case. I can't eat dried fruit unless I soak it now so yeah, carrying fresh is worth it. I also can eat a avocado a day biggrin.gif Yum!!!! All ya need is a knife to split in half and to whack out the pit. Then use a spoon to eats. Oink!

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 3:05 pm 
Mike E. wrote:
How do you do banana's Sarbar?
Dunno about Sarbar, but I take banana chips, from the bulk bins at Winco. Cheap, durable, light, tasty.

Mike E.

Mike E.
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 3:09 pm 
A pringles box sounds like a really good idea. I don't think I could live through the abuse that carrying around a bright red Banana Guard would bring down upon me. How did I miss that thread anyway ?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 4:11 pm 
Is a BLD Beer, Liquor and Donuts?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 4:13 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Is a BLD Beer, Liquor and Donuts?
The miracle trio lol.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 4:53 pm 
I eat a lot of fat for dinner so I can have the energy reserves for the next day. Cheese does best for me. Protein is a must for muscles, and I eat Johsonville Brats during the day. For me, on the first day, I take drink about 100 liters of frozen concentrate apple juice. That's about 1400 calories of carbohydrate. I still get tired no matter what I do when I go over 6000 feet in a day.

Art is an adventure.
Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 5:00 pm 
How do you manage fresh fruit on long trips? Seeing as most of the weight is water, doesn't that get a bit heavy for yall? I eat lots of bananas before I leave the car, but honestly the last thing I would want to put in my pack is a whole bunch of the squishy things. Plus you have to carry a peel with the banana, seems like a lot of extra weight if you ask me. By the way, T-Joes has just flatten dried bananas that I love, and you get like 6 bananas worth, very lightweight and they contain all the nutrients of fresh fruit, also no chance of them getting crushed. smile.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 5:04 pm 
Wazzu...simply put I carry for the first couple days. I also pack UL so food isn't an issue for me wink.gif I'd rather wear a pair of pants for 5 days than go without my good food lol.gif Trust me, I learned the hard way in not taking enough food.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 5:05 pm 
Then again....I am also known for steam baking cake and muffins on the trail as well biggrin.gif