Forum Index > Food & Grub > Energy Bar likes/dislikes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cweston

cweston
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 11:43 am 
I know this may be a controversial topic--real food versus energy bar and all that... My favorites are Larabar (gingersnap and key lime pie are tops, there are several others that are good) and Odwalla Berries Gomega. I simply loathe Clif Bars. They are so dry I feel like I'm trying to eat the Sahara Desert. I often don't cook breakfast, and a Clif Builders Bar would be a perfect breakfast, except that I literally cannot choke down more than about 1/4 of one. I also like those Powerade Gels. The vanilla ones taste pretty good, like pudding. They're nice mid-afternoon on a hard trail day.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 12:56 pm 
The last energy bar I tried I ended up hucking the remainder off one of the switchbacks at Cascade Pass. hurl.gif I'll try another one the next time someone offers me one... eek.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 12:59 pm 
The Larabar's are pretty good (especially the coconut one). I'm a huge fan of Bumblebars though. There's my vote.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 2:09 pm 
Not sure what you mean by "real" food but the gels are actually quite good for you. In contrast to the crap with high frutcose corn syrup, the gels contain a more optimal blend of sugars that releases energy gradually and gives you sustatined energy (vs. the carb high/low you get from a lot of other snacks). I actually made a batch of the home made stuff a while back and it was ok, but found it to be un-economical because I couldn't use it up before it started to go bad. I found some Power Bar Gel at Grocery Outlet last year for 25 cents each and bought 2 boxes. Good stuff. up.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm 
I can only eat a couple of the bars due to my braces (no loss really, I hate most of them!). I can eat Luna Tea Cakes though - they are soft. Personally though I normally eat stuff like Pringles and really soft all fruit bars if I need potassium/minerals while hiking smile.gif I'd rather stop as well and eat a real lunch or snack (or eat while hiking) than eat bars.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
cweston

cweston
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 3:20 pm 
sarbar wrote:
I can only eat a couple of the bars due to my braces (no loss really, I hate most of them!). I can eat Luna Tea Cakes though - they are soft.
Yup: the only ones I like (the Larabars and the Odwalla berry bar) are soft & chewy and fruity. Any of the chocolate flavored ones are terribly unappetizing to me. I think I actually eat less on the trail than many, I've learned in talking to other hikers. I think maybe the activity suppresses my appetite. I find dinner intensely pleasurable and satisfying, but I can't eat large amounts.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 3:26 pm 
Not that unusual smile.gif I definitely eat less than some who I hike with. My metabolism doesn't kick in for a couple days....and for me if I eat too much while hiking I don't feel very good. Dinner is my biggest meal when hiking. I usually drop weight on trips due to under eating.....but yeah, I won't be dying of hunger on a trip anytime soon with my "winter padding" I have lol.gif

grateful2ski
escape the desk!

grateful2ski
escape the desk!
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 4:12 pm 
strange you mention this about the under-eating last weekend i did the entiat meadows hike, which included a 20 mile day and I didn't eat much at all. i think the tally was 1 natural valley oats and honey bar, one clif bar, an apple, and two cheese sticks. as soon as i got off the trail tho i housed a monster burrito! im not to into the 'energy' bars but those clif bars i had are good, and dont taste like the sahara.

Its me whos gotta die when its time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to
Seracer

Seracer
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 4:19 pm 
Don't do a lot of "energy bars", and the gel stuff just makes me gag. When I go for something like that, I carry Bakers Breakfast Cookies. Lots of flavors and taste good. They might even be good for me, although that would be contrary to the Second Law of Food : "If it tastes good it has to be bad for you". That or Fig Newtons. Or Paydays.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 4:42 pm 
grateful2ski wrote:
strange you mention this about the under-eating last weekend i did the entiat meadows hike, which included a 20 mile day and I didn't eat much at all. i think the tally was 1 natural valley oats and honey bar, one clif bar, an apple, and two cheese sticks. as soon as i got off the trail tho i housed a monster burrito!
Hah! That is SO me! Two weekends ago after doing a 18 1/2 mile day, when we got back into town I went to the Mexican place and ate a platter of fish tacos that I swear took up 1/3rd of the table......then I went home and fell asleep lol.gif

whitebark

whitebark
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 5:49 pm 
Beware the traditional Power Bars. They get rock hard when it is cold, and will break fillings and crack teeth. On my latest camping trip, a mouse got in my day pack and found a Power Bar. It took two nibbles from the bar, then gave up in disgust. Even mice don't like Power Bars!

JPH

JPH
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 6:17 pm 
whitebark wrote:
Beware the traditional Power Bars. They get rock hard when it is cold, and will break fillings and crack teeth. On my latest camping trip, a mouse got in my day pack and found a Power Bar. It took two nibbles from the bar, then gave up in disgust. Even mice don't like Power Bars!
I had "traditional Power Bar" that I got for free and couldn't let go to waste. While I was eating it I thought to myself, "How is power bar still making this crap? And who still buys old school power bars when there are so many other good options out there?" IMO, Clif Bars are delicious.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 6:22 pm 
Traditional Power Bars are great emergency food because there is absolutely no chance you will eat them until you are starving. hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 7:48 pm 
Yeah, I like Clif Bars too, especially the ones with chocolate in them. I also like the Nature Valley Granola Bars, and *those* things are dry! You gotta wash 'em down with water or something.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 8:17 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Traditional Power Bars are great emergency food because there is absolutely no chance you will eat them until you are starving. hockeygrin.gif
ditto.gif lol.gif I keep one or two in my pack for that reason.

Knows literally nothing