Forum Index > Food & Grub > Freeze Dried Meats Now Available @Emergency Essentials
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Dec 28, 2021 3:21 pm 
I could have added this information to several different current posts but decided to give it its own post. Emergency Essentials has freeze dried meats available in #10 cans in three different varieties; beef crumbles, diced beef, and diced white chicken. I have found that Emergency Essentials is about the best balance between cost and quality. I have been ordering from them for years and have always been satisfied with their product. There are a few reasons I am sharing this now. #1 Freeze dried meat is not always available when you want it. This has historically been like this so it's is unrelated to any "supply chain" issues. Whenever something is available that I like I always get it because it may not be in stock when I want it. #2 Freeze dried meat is an EASY way to add protein to almost any trail food, especially instant soup mixes. It rehydrates well. #3 The Calorie/gm ratio is relatively high. Diced Beef = 4.4 C/gm Diced Chicken = 5 C/gm Beef Crumbles = 6.3 C/gm #4 It's on sale for $12 - $15 off a #10 can. Though the cost per can now is double what it was just a few years ago, it is still a bargain if you are putting together your own meals. You are at the controls and can add as much or as little as you desire. Be sure to note the sodium content per recommended serving to get an idea of how much per gram you are adding. Also be sure to note the net weight per #10 can when comparing to other brands. I have been making my own freezer-bag type meals for many years and have used all of these and been more than satisfied with taste and texture. I do not currently see any freeze dried cheese on their site, which is also a great thing to add to meals for good Calories. Anyway, there you are, make of it as you wish. Emergency Essentials #10 cans of meat Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 28, 2021 5:33 pm 
That stuff sure is premium priced. $85 for a #10 can of diced chicken. Mountain House #10 cans of diced chicken on Amazon are $49. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000M8071M

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Dec 28, 2021 6:12 pm 
Randito wrote:
That stuff sure is premium priced. $85 for a #10 can of diced chicken. Mountain House #10 cans of diced chicken on Amazon are $49.
I will also note that even though the serving size of the MH is greater that the EE serving size, the amount of sodium in the MH serving is 470mg total or 13.8mg/gr and the EE is 70mg total or aproximately 3mg/gr. Or as my father would say about the MH chicken, "would you like a little chicken with your salt?" I have used almost every brand of freeze dried products out there. Some are fairly equivalent in quality and others are just not satisfactory at all. Mountain House generally falls into the latter category of freeze dried products. YMMV Rumi EDIT: There are some brands that don't rehydrate well. This year I bought a #10 can of chicken from Nutristore that took extra long to rehydrate, and the texture and taste were not good as well.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jan 21, 2022 7:44 am 
I drank the Koolade last year and started using Thrive Life. And...yes, it's a slight MLM setup, however their products are literally some of the bet I have bought for quality and how they look/taste after rehydration. What they offer is something you don't see elsewhere - smaller cans. They make #10 cans, but I buy the "pantry cans" which are plenty, but get used up quick enough. Unlike bags, these for the most part are 25 years - they are in mini cans is all. They sell retail as well.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.