Forum Index > Food & Grub > texas red trail chili
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 1:30 pm 
I learned how to make chili from friends I made in Corpus Christi. I went there to learn distance casting techniques and go surf-fishing on the Padre Island National Seashore. No one makes chili like a Texican. No beans or store-bought chili powder in traditional Texas chili. This is not a minimalist's recipe and usually it's the first dinner of a trip, since you're packing in raw meat. To start with you need chili powder. Don't waste your time with prepackaged stuff, the best is what you can make yourself. OK, to get going, find out where the Mexicans in your town go to get groceries. Pick up some dried chili pods. You need ancho, guajillo, chipotle, cascabel, and arbol. The arbol is the heat source, it's small, bright red. Beware! The rest add flavor and aroma- particularly the chipotle. You may already know, it's smoked jalapeno. It looks like a shriveled-up cafe latte-colored jalapeno. Smells like a good-smelling campfire. The ancho is a large dark pod. The guajillo is skinnier than the ancho, dark red but not as dark as the ancho. The cascabel is a little ball, like a cherry tomato. Chili powder: 3 cascabel 2 ancho 2 chipotle 3 gaujillo 3 arbol 2 tbspn cumin seed 1 tbspn oregano 1 tspn paprika
Remove all the stems and seeds from the pods.
Cut the pods up into little pieces.
Toast them on a hot dry skillet until they smoke a little, shaking the pan throughout Only takes a few minutes. You're drying them out so the grind up easily.
Toast the cumin seed the same way. Cumin is what wakes up your chili. Without cumin, forget it. Order a pizza instead.
Grind everything up to a fine powder. I use a coffee grinder. I start with about half the cut-up pods, then add the rest, and then add the paprika, cumin seed, and oregano.
Get it as finely ground as you can.
Find a good airtight container to pack this stuff in and try not to inhale it when you're transferring it from the grinder. Don't touch your eyes before you wash your hands. To make the chili in camp, you'll need to pack in some stuff: 1 lb. coarse-ground beef, or steak cut up into little cubes- freeze it first and it should be thawed by the time you're ready to cook. 1/2 a yellow onion, diced fine. Food processor or handy-chopper works great, or just cut it up when you're ready to cook. 1 can diced tomatoes, or cut up fresh ones. beer 1. Crack open a beer and guzzle it. Hurry up. OK, now do another one. 2. Brown the beef, and be sure to reserve the fond back into the mix. No need to waste that, it's pure flavor. Open another beer. 3. Add the onion and get it carmelized. Finish the beer and open another. 4. Add chili powder. This is subjective. Start with 1 or 1.5 tbspn. I use 2 tbspn and it's tolerable for my wife. When I make it just for myself, I start with 3 tbspn and go from there. You can always make it hotter, but not so easy to back it off if you go too far. Finish your beer. 5. Add the can of tomatoes and drink another beer. 6. If you want more liquid (and I do), add beer. 7. Crack open another beer and watch the chili simmer. I'd like to let it simmer for a long time, but my wife always makes me serve it up after just a few minutes, and it's good as is. This stuff makes my head buzz, my whole upper body tingles. Ooh and it'll give you a little goodbye-kiss on the way out too. Ahh life is good. Not a lot of up-front burn. If you like that, just add some ground black pepper. I'll cook some of this on my next trip so I can add some pics of actually cooking this on the trail using only backpacking gear.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you couldn't learn otherwise" -Mark Twain
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 2:53 pm 
Tippet wrote:
No beans or store-bought chili powder in traditional Texas chili.
If it has beans, it ain't chili. hockeygrin.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 3:02 pm 
Yep, use all meat; no beans! I like to cut up small pieces of top sirloin. Haven't gone the route with custom making the spices though. Usually just go thru 4 or 5 store bought spices. Your recipe looks good (but I'd put in real beef).

Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 3:13 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
... (but I'd put in real beef).
Yes my recipe calls for real beef. I have found that venison is very tasty in this dish too.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you couldn't learn otherwise" -Mark Twain
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 3:19 pm 
Tippet wrote:
yukon222 wrote:
... (but I'd put in real beef).
Yes my recipe calls for real beef. I have found that venison is very tasty in this dish too.
It's been years since I've eaten chili with anything but venison. up.gif We have so many whitetail in TX that in some counties they encourage each hunter to take 5 deer each season. It is much healthier and I do enjoy the taste. I do all my own processing which helps.

Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 3:35 pm 
Texas is awesome up.gif up.gif

Frank

Frank
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 5:21 pm 
The Everett Herald had great chili recipe a few weeks ago (no beans) We tried it thought it was the best.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 6:04 pm 
A friend of mine who recently ate at Mike's Chili Parlor and Tavern in Ballard said the chili is excellent. Apparently, the place was featured on the Food Network.
Quote:
Mike's Chili Parlor and Tavern has been serving chili for more than 80 years. Older than the adjacent Ballard Bridge, it remains a gloriously unyuppified pocket of old-school Ballard. The Semandiris family recipe is described as a Mexican one with a Chicago-style Greek twist -- whatever that means.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 6:24 pm 
Damn. That twist of making your own chili powder is probably the thing that makes it so good! up.gif I do like beans in chili though. Not too many, mind. But some. (and the secret to making a pot o' pinto beans is to leave the chili powder out - just onions, garlic and beans. But thats a different subject). I've eaten at Mike's. Good chili to be sure. I think the thing that makes Mike's chili is the ambiance. There isn't any. Which is exactly the best kind of place to eat a bowl of chili and drink a cold brewski. I've been to the Terlingua Chili Cook-off near Big Bend, Texas. Tons of vats of the concoction. Enough that the locals, if they had a job, would call in sick on Monday. Actually, the Monday following is probably a work holiday. That was an interesting festival - raucous and fun. It's probably all yuppified and commercialized nowadays. They probably serve wine with the chili. And full of arts & crafts booths - that kind of stuff can really stink up a good festival. Eucalyptus wreaths and teddy bears in gingham overalls and wire-rimmed eyeglasses. O for pete's sake. shakehead.gif And heart-shaped window shade pulls made of a cinnamon paste. That kind of crap.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 7:03 pm 
Beg to differ
My wife and I fight over this all the time - I say it's Chile con carne ( chile with meat) and that means that regular chile DOESN'T HAVE MEAT!!! She says I'm all wet- that chile is all meat. She's from Texas. What does she know?? Here is something that sounds real gross, but is a genuine real Texas thing that makes any chile extra good - Fritos corn chips cheese onions (sweet) ketchup Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the chile, followed with diced fresh onion, slightly crushed up Fritos and then squirt ketchup on the whole mess. It sounds real gross, but believe it or not, it's a real Texas Taste Treat. dizzy.gif

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 7:12 pm 
I'm going to hit that Mike's Chili Parlor and Tavern in Ballard and check it out. up.gif

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 7:13 pm 
Chile con carne would probably be called Argentina.

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 7:45 pm 
This thread is making me hungry slobber.gif

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Feb 21, 2009 9:35 am 
Re: Beg to differ
kbatku wrote:
My wife and I fight over this all the time - I say it's Chile con carne ( chile with meat) and that means that regular chile DOESN'T HAVE MEAT!!! She says I'm all wet- that chile is all meat.
Actually, your wife is correct. Chili doesn't have beans unless you're wussifying it. wink.gif
kbatku wrote:
Here is something that sounds real gross, but is a genuine real Texas thing that makes any chile extra good - Fritos corn chips cheese onions (sweet) ketchup Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the chile, followed with diced fresh onion, slightly crushed up Fritos and then squirt ketchup on the whole mess. It sounds real gross, but believe it or not, it's a real Texas Taste Treat. dizzy.gif
Minus the ketchup, it sounds a lot like the frito pies I grew up with. You get yourself one of the single serving bags of fritos (has to be fritos), open it up. Now put chili on top, followed by cheese and onions - fill the rest of the bag with the good stuff. Eat the whole mess with a spoon - preferably one of the cheap plastic spoons that bend and break after just a few minutes. hungry.gif Tippet, that recipe looks awesome. I've used bought chili powder in mine and added mole paste to bump up the flavor. I'll have to get some dried chilis when I'm in town and give this a try. up.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostSat Feb 21, 2009 10:58 am 
Quark wrote:
I've been to the Terlingua Chili Cook-off near Big Bend, Texas. Tons of vats of the concoction. Enough that the locals, if they had a job, would call in sick on Monday. Actually, the Monday following is probably a work holiday. That was an interesting festival - raucous and fun. It's probably all yuppified and commercialized nowadays. They probably serve wine with the chili. And full of arts & crafts booths - that kind of stuff can really stink up a good festival. Eucalyptus wreaths and teddy bears in gingham overalls and wire-rimmed eyeglasses. O for pete's sake. shakehead.gif And heart-shaped window shade pulls made of a cinnamon paste. That kind of crap.
No, it's still raucous and fun. But, it is bigger. Nice time of year to camp Big Bend, drink beer and eat chili. They do sell some T shirts I think but that's about all. Lot of slightly tipsy people putting on entertainment on the stage. http://www.krazyflats.com/index.html My running club was there in the late 60s at one of the first contests and decided to name itself Terlingua Track Club. Same name to this day. hockeygrin.gif