Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt Persis Clean up June 27-28, FS Rd 62 Index
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostMon Jun 15, 2009 7:01 pm 
We had a long thread going here. Mt Persis Gate What kind of interest is there on keeping this road open and showing that hikers are willing to step up once again? Much of the clean up would be along the access roads to the Persis TH and area. The effort was phenomenal at Lake Isabel, what do you say? Can we prevent another road from being gated with restricted access? Right now there are plans for an emergency closure. I've seen this happen before, once it's closed it stays closed. I spoke with Barb Bussey Sky Ranger station, (360-677-2414) and Steve Tift the land manager of Longview Fibre (360-424-2014) They were both open to a clean up, so I think this could go far in relationships on both sides. Is June 27th too soon for people to make plans? What are your thoughts? Edit: Please add your name GeoHiker, I'll be there Friday-Sunday. Hulksmash Sat. Sun. maybe Friday Dogpatch & Campking - Saturday

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:13 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 11:05 am 
Quote:
I noticed the Persis gate thread at CC has not received any attention.
thats cause it is not affecting climbing at Index. wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Zekester
Suckin' wind

Zekester
Suckin' wind
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 11:07 am 
Sticky/Wiki? Mods?

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 11:17 am 
Quote:
thats cause it is not affecting climbing at Index.
frown.gif That's what i was afraid of....This is sort of off topic, but i've posted info on access issues regarding Static Point...even though i have no intention of climbing static point. Access issues often affect multiple user groups the more user groups who stand up and squeal the better.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 3:02 pm 
Here's what I have after talking to Steve (Longview Fibre) and John Robison (FS) Barb won't be in till Thursday. Steve is all for doing a clean up and said we can spend the weekend in there if we want. They have a contract order out to replace the gate, so it's going to be locked. The emergency order is issued to lock the gate, so it's up to Longview to decide when. They can lock it tomorrow if they want. Steve is very willing to work with us hikers and is only interested in keeping out the riff raff that are trashing the area. I know most of the garbage isn't hiker related, but some is. I did pick up 8-10 cans and assorted garbage last month on the road up to the Persis TH and I know there's a big stash of garbage near the trail at about the 4,000 ft. level. Some one was living up there or had a camp for awhile. We spoke about a permit system with a combination lock or key exchange and he's very willing to work out access on a controlled basis. I think a good faith effort on our part will go a long way in establishing a relationship that will keep access open for hikers, so that's good news. Another issue is what we are going to do with the garbage? Hulk, did you have any contacts? It all flew away at Isabel, so maybe they had some big dumpsters at Kenmore Air? Anyway, I'm thinking we are going to have way more garbage at Persis and maybe some appliances and big stuff. I have a number that John gave me for Snoh. Cnty Solid Waste, so I'll try him. I think we could use the Hwy 2 turnoff and use that as a staging area. Maybe DOT could pick it up? When I talked to Friends of the Trail last month he wasn't too interested and I was surprised to learn they have to PAY to get rid of the garbage. That seems like a rip if they are out picking up garbage on their time. Anyway, I'll talk to Barb on TH and see what she has to say. I'm sure something can be worked out. There you go, the balls rolling and we'll shoot for June 27th-28th. I'll get up early if I can, so I'm sure Friday the 26th will be available too, so if you're in the area and can stop by that would be great. I'll take a run up there tomorrow and take a look around as I really am not sure what we are getting into here garbage wise. lol.gif BTW, I asked the FS if they had heard about our clean up at Isabel and John said Barb had the pictures up yesterday. They were quite surprised and pleased! up.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 3:07 pm 
good stuff geo!

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 3:08 pm 
tazz wrote:
Quote:
I noticed the Persis gate thread at CC has not received any attention.
thats cause it is not affecting climbing at Index. wink.gif
I'm surprised by that. I guess they don't mind hiking an extra 10-15 miles to reach their climbing areas huh? Those climbers are a hardy bunch. hockeygrin.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 3:26 pm 
The routes from the Persis TH are not really of much interest to climbers who consider themselves "hard men". How is this for an idea: we could gather up all the brass up there, reload it and sell it off to all the gun nuts, there are a number of hand loaders on this site and lead it cheap, powder and primers are a little harder but are not in as short a supply as loaded ammo. With the present contrived shortage you could probably pay for the whole operation. Only problem is a lot of the surplus AK ammo is steel and hard to reload.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 3:30 pm 
what MC said.... they really have no rock climbing or cragging in there. Not any big "hard man" peaks either. especially with Index sitting right there. So yeah they don't really give hoot. BUT as soon as you stop them from their crags they can be fierce! So fierce that they will buy a rock wall to save it for climbing! winksmile.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 3:55 pm 
I was thinking about that earlier on the best way to pick up all the brass. I had to check and see if brass is magnetic and I see it's not, but shotgun shells are brass plated, so a large magnet would work there. How much of the casings are being made with steel? Maybe Dave, or BPJ can comment. Would it be worth bringing some strong magnets?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 4:09 pm 
Real brass is not magnetic as it is a copper zinc alloy, US and European cartridges are usually made of real brass except for aircraft which can be Aluminum. Chinese and Russian cartridges are often made of steel (hard on guns but cheap). Magnet is easiest way to tell them apart. Rimfires like most .22's are hard to reload.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Zekester
Suckin' wind

Zekester
Suckin' wind
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 4:29 pm 
GeoHiker wrote:
It all flew away at Isabel, so maybe they had some big dumpsters at Kenmore Air?
Yep, We put all the garbage from Isabel in our dumpster here at Kenmore Air. I can do some more from Persis, but if we're talking about appliances, then we're going to definitely need to go somewhere else. Does anyone know anyone at Waste Management or the county? I'm sure if got some press involved again one of them would donate the dumpage for the good PR. ~Zack

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 5:00 pm 
Thanks MC, I guess a combination of hand rakes, shovels and magnets might work. Zack, I called the number that was given to me by the Forest Service and it's no longer in service. I'm going to jump in my car and take a run up there and look around. I know we don't want to mess with big stuff, so hoping there isn't too much. I saw some computer monitors shot up. I think the majority of trash will be paper, cans, glass and such. At least I'm hoping! Mods, could we make this a sticky/wiki?

drakonis

drakonis
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 7:14 pm 
ok guys as for wast mgt. your wasting your time with them. i work for a container and recycle company and we have the facilities to get rid of the stuff. we like all metals hockeygrin.gif ill talke to my boss, is there going to be media coverage? that will sit very well with him. (free advertisement. if he goes for it ill bring my kenworth dumpster truck with a 30 cu yd container for the stuff. i think it would be a tax write off for him also. as being the senior employee there this might be a doable thing. give me some time to talk to him. + the truck and driver would be donated time.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 10:50 pm 
Hey that would be great drakonis! I don't know about media coverage yet. I'm just getting back from a 3 hr recon of the area. I'm actually surprised at the lack of garbage. There's plenty of shotgun shell empties and assorted small stuff, but nothing that made me go WOW this place is trashed. I found only one freezer, so the scary stuff I thought might be there wasn't. It looked in decent shape, so if someone needs a smoker there you go. smile.gif I think we can handle it if we have 3-4 trucks or everyone can take 2-3 bags in their vehicle. There's a sandpit at mile 3.5 that's the traditional shooting spot. That was where I found the most shooting garbage. Someone has cleaned up 2 of the gated spur roads at mile 2. I found one full garbage bag on the side of the road and another 2 farther up with some targets and cardboard. up.gif All the side spurs (6-8) have some garbage, but nothing shocking. Just cans, paper and mostly shot gun empties. When I was checking out the shooting area at mi 3.5 on the way up a group of about 12 showed up to shoot. They are a Youth Group and were interested in helping out. Some were in suit and slacks, so I thought they were FBI or some thing!....LOL They've been shooting there for years, so were surprised that it's not allowed. On the way out there was another group across the road and were again surprised that you aren't suppose to shoot there. They also were interested in helping out, so hopefully they'll show up. The large area at Lake Cavanaugh was in pretty nice shape. Some garbage, but far better than many of the camping areas I've camped in around the Lake Wenatchee area recently. Some one even left a large pile of cut firewood and rounds. You hardly ever see that anymore. up.gif Here's some pics of the area and what to expect. I was afraid I had bit off more than I could chew with this effort, so I was happy to see how little garbage there was. This is do able without calling out the National Gaurd!...... lol.gif
The only signage at the Hwy 2 turnoff.
The only signage at the Hwy 2 turnoff.
New sign at Hwy 2 turnoff.
New sign at Hwy 2 turnoff.
Shooting area at 3.5 miles FS 62
Shooting area at 3.5 miles FS 62
Persis garbage near lake.
Persis garbage near lake.
Cavanaugh Lake
Cavanaugh Lake
Cavanaugh Lake
Cavanaugh Lake
Gate at the Hwy 2 turnoff FS 62
1 label
Gate at the Hwy 2 turnoff FS 62
Youth Group shooters along FS 62
Youth Group shooters along FS 62
Garbage pickup
Garbage pickup
Persis sundown.
Persis sundown.
Mt Persis view
Mt Persis view

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Jun 17, 2009 2:32 am 
Quote:
We spoke about a permit system with a combination lock or key exchange and he's very willing to work out access on a controlled basis. I think a good faith effort on our part will go a long way in establishing a relationship that will keep access open for hikers, so that's good news.
I don't think this is anything new...as was pointed out the those roads go to north bend. If my memory is correct there already is a permit system to go in there, but it was only available in the north bend area. If a permit system is in the future, i sure hope it wont need to be picked up in north bend. That would be ridiculous to access Persis.
Quote:
BTW, I asked the FS if they had heard about our clean up at Isabel and John said Barb had the pictures up yesterday. They were quite surprised and pleased
! huh.gif surprised? shakehead.gif I don't recall if i ever spoke to Barb. But rather than call, i went to the Sky Ranger station in person(with pictures) I spoke to John Robison twice and Jerry Zimmerman. I gave them my E mail address, and Phone # multiple times. Ha! surprised. I did get the vibe that was not getting taken seriously though...maybe they will pay a little more attention now. lol.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential