Forum Index > Trip Reports > A Solo Tour Of Colorado: Seven 14ers In Eight Days
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Islander

Islander
PostMon Sep 28, 2009 8:04 am 
I never thought of using my Bandit for logging road use....might have to give it a try.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Sep 29, 2009 11:05 am 
El Puma wrote:
We were on a CO road trip last summer and my then 8-yo climbed Uncompaghre with me...
That's fantastic to take your son up Uncompahgre! I bet he will become a major hiker when he grows up. Interesting to hear about his lack of reaction to altitude...

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Sep 29, 2009 11:06 am 
Islander wrote:
I never thought of using my Bandit for logging road use....might have to give it a try.
I wouldn't recommend it. Well, at least not on the rougher roads. It did okay until I got into the loose sections and then I had that one incident. Some experience with dirt bikes helps a lot.

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostTue Sep 29, 2009 1:10 pm 
Hi Gimp- great report! I recently finished a book that I will suggest as a "book Club Selection" for nwhikers. Halfway to Heaven by Mark Obmascik. He chronicles his one year climbing all 54 fourteeners. Each chapter reads like a trip report, our favorite! They are all on my bucket list.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostTue Sep 29, 2009 4:17 pm 
Oh, that makes me miss the days of my 14er project a few years back! Nice narrative and pics. up.gif I was surprised that you had thunderstorms in the last week of September. The "monsoon season" is usually over by then. I have been chased down so many of those puppies by lightning! eek.gif Did you notice how after the first couple of them you got acclimatized and then didn't notice the altitude on the rest of them?

We don't stop hiking because we grow old; we grow old because we stop hiking. --Finis Mitchell
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Sep 29, 2009 8:15 pm 
Great report and accomplishment! up.gif You really lucked out with the weather...we were there last week hoping to climb just one 14 thousander. This is what we got instead... hmmm.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Sep 29, 2009 11:12 pm 
Road trip - YEAAHH!

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 6:55 am 
Snowdog wrote:
I recently finished a book that I will suggest as a "book Club Selection" for nwhikers. Halfway to Heaven by Mark Obmascik. He chronicles his one year climbing all 54 fourteeners. Each chapter reads like a trip report, our favorite!
Hey, thanks for the suggestion! Reading is another one of my obsessions. I'll check it out.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 7:01 am 
dacker wrote:
Did you notice how after the first couple of them you got acclimatized and then didn't notice the altitude on the rest of them?
As a matter of fact I did notice the adjustment to altitude. In the longer version of the trip report posted on summitpost I mention how for the first few summits I took altitude medication which I had left over from Kilimanjaro. I usually get altitude sickness pretty bad including nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite, headache. I even had trouble the second day while driving over a high pass. But like you mentioned, after the first few summits it wasn't an issue. I felt quite at home up there. There is an after affect as well. When I got home where the sea-level air is thick, I barely felt the need to breath at all. I noticed that for a couple days I was only taking shallow breaths and half as often as normal. I probably should have taken advantage of it and gone for a strenuous hike to try to make record time.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 7:03 am 
the Zachster wrote:
Great report and accomplishment! up.gif You really lucked out with the weather...we were there last week hoping to climb just one 14 thousander. This is what we got instead... hmmm.gif embarassedlaugh.gif
Thanks! Sorry to hear about your bad luck. It's hard not to get resentful when you're stopped dead in your tracks by a cloud system like that.

Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 8:05 am 
Gimpilator wrote:
tazz wrote:
up.gif you got to do Sneffels!! we drove up from utah and i was friggen sick as a dog from the altitude and we had to turn around.
What a bummer! Sneffels was the best. I was tempted to go for it first but I was worried about the altitude thing and decided to do it second. I hope you have a chance to go back for it some day.
wanna know something really funny? We drove up to what 10-11k at the th? Slept in the car. I was up all night puking. Then we head up in the morning still sick but hoping. It was ALL snow when we did it in June of 1999. the snow made it so pretty up there. Anyways...we forgot our sunscreen in the truck. We got massive sunburns on our face, up our nose, and the roof of my mouth!! So bad that the next day we blistered and the 3rd day thick chunks of brown to almost black skin came off!! Nothing worked for the pain. we looked like elderly folks with our skin all wrinkled and very tight! lol.gif We almost went to the hospital in Denver till i found something that worked. It was badger cream!! that stuff is awesome!! As soon as we put that on the pain was gone and we could move our mouths again! If we had not turned around @ 13,000 due to me puking our burns would have been even worse. I have never forgot sunscreen when on snow again!! lol.gif

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 7:41 pm 
Gimp...I don't consider a day like that bad luck...just a change in plans! winksmile.gif It is so beautiful up there...I can't wait to go back for some higher adventures. But it's all good! agree.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 8:15 pm 
What a dream come true. You have a great sense of adventure and the smarts to carry it out. Congratulations on a fine trip. up.gif up.gif up.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 8:42 pm 
Quite the adventure, awesome goat shots! Glad not too much damage to the bike. smile.gif

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Oct 01, 2009 10:06 pm 
VERY nice! One of my very first serious high altitude hiking trips in 1970 was on Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn. Your pics bring back wonderful memories.... If you ever get back there, there is even more dramatic stuff south of Lake City and Silverton. Access is much longer - but the Grenadiers and Sunlight/Windom/Needles/Eolus areas are wonderful. Thanks