Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 5:56 am 
dacker wrote:
I was surprised that you had thunderstorms in the last week of September. The "monsoon season" is usually over by then. I have been chased down so many of those puppies by lightning! eek.gif
NOTE: He was there during the first week in September, not the last. He was still very much in the Rockies' monsoon season (as I experienced similar weather two years ago at approximately the same time of year). Still, even with the weather issues, it was a great trip and a great report! Very inspiring!

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 9:11 am 
Duh, egg-on-face... doof.gif Obviously I read his post date and didn't bother to notice that the trip started on Sept 1, as he said in the very first sentence! You are so right, the monsoon is often still in full swing then. Surprise duly retracted!! clown.gif

We don't stop hiking because we grow old; we grow old because we stop hiking. --Finis Mitchell
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 5:35 pm 
Man, I wish I could go for an all out multiple mountain trip. Perhaps this summer I might get my chance. up.gif up.gif Two thumbs way up! Also great photos on the trip. Hope you get a chance to do something like this in the future.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 10:05 pm 
Flow wrote:
Man, I wish I could go for an all out multiple mountain trip. Perhaps this summer I might get my chance. up.gif up.gif Two thumbs way up! Also great photos on the trip. Hope you get a chance to do something like this in the future.
Play your cards right Flow and you will get your chance. You already have Rainier a strong possiblity with two climbers who have already been there (Gimp and I). Despite making a bunch of very poor moves over the summer you still have a strong core of people who willing to give you a shot.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSat Oct 03, 2009 2:07 pm 
tazz wrote:
Gimpilator wrote:
tazz wrote:
up.gif you got to do Sneffels!! we drove up from utah and i was friggen sick as a dog from the altitude and we had to turn around.
What a bummer! Sneffels was the best. I was tempted to go for it first but I was worried about the altitude thing and decided to do it second. I hope you have a chance to go back for it some day.
wanna know something really funny? We drove up to what 10-11k at the th? Slept in the car. I was up all night puking. Then we head up in the morning still sick but hoping. It was ALL snow when we did it in June of 1999. the snow made it so pretty up there. Anyways...we forgot our sunscreen in the truck. We got massive sunburns on our face, up our nose, and the roof of my mouth!! So bad that the next day we blistered and the 3rd day thick chunks of brown to almost black skin came off!! Nothing worked for the pain. we looked like elderly folks with our skin all wrinkled and very tight! lol.gif We almost went to the hospital in Denver till i found something that worked. It was badger cream!! that stuff is awesome!! As soon as we put that on the pain was gone and we could move our mouths again! If we had not turned around @ 13,000 due to me puking our burns would have been even worse. I have never forgot sunscreen when on snow again!! lol.gif
That sounds like the worse case of sunburn ever. I can only imagine the pain. Was this the stuff?

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSat Oct 03, 2009 2:08 pm 
goats gone wild wrote:
What a dream come true. You have a great sense of adventure and the smarts to carry it out. Congratulations on a fine trip. up.gif up.gif up.gif
Thanks for the kind words

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSat Oct 03, 2009 2:10 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
If you ever get back there, there is even more dramatic stuff south of Lake City and Silverton. Access is much longer - but the Grenadiers and Sunlight/Windom/Needles/Eolus areas are wonderful.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm definitely going back to Colorado at some point. I'll check out those areas you mentioned when I plan the next trip.

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostTue Oct 06, 2009 9:28 pm 
I remember reading about those afternoon thunderstorms in "Between a rock and a hard place" by Aron Ralston. Beautiful shot of Torrey under the rainbow! I love it! It's amazing how vast the contrast of color is with all the different rock formations out there. You climbed great and split in the nick of time (although pics of the snowcovered fourteeners from down below wouldn't have been at all a wasted trip... but homesick we all get.) And as for making camp up high at night... "Brrreakin' the law, brrrreakin' the law!" Breaking The Law performed by Judas Priest

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Oct 09, 2009 10:18 am 
Jimbopo wrote:
Beautiful shot of Torrey under the rainbow! I love it! It's amazing how vast the contrast of color is with all the different rock formations out there.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I enjoyed watching that video. It's funny to look back on the 80's.

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostFri Oct 16, 2009 12:08 am 
How did I miss this one? Very nice trip report, what an adventure. up.gif I'm in the middle of reading Halfway to Heaven now, so it's cool to see some photo documentation from some of the fourteeners. The photo of the Blue Lakes is my favorite, is that a huge mudslide going down to the upper lake??

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostFri Oct 16, 2009 2:20 am 
Whoa,
Quote:
We got massive sunburns on our face, up our nose, and the roof of my mouth!! So bad that the next day we blistered and the 3rd day thick chunks of brown to almost black skin came off!! Nothing worked for the pain. we looked like elderly folks with our skin all wrinkled and very tight!
Pictures! Photos! Something like this would rival Maurice Herzog in that photo in Annapurna where the skin on this hands and fingers is draped like falling curtains from the post-summit descent ropes. Tom

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Oct 16, 2009 4:11 pm 
Ingunn wrote:
The photo of the Blue Lakes is my favorite, is that a huge mudslide going down to the upper lake??
I'm not really sure but I doubt it. It looks like a mudslide but all the terrainin this area was chunky talus. What looks like mud from above is probably larger rocks.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostFri Oct 01, 2010 5:42 pm 
Hey, nice TR Looks like you got a taste for Colorado! Living here now I have done most those peaks. The climate and mountains are much different than in the Cascades. At least you knew all about the terrible thunderstorms that happen here. People from Denver always get into trouble starting late. Loved your description about your Holy Cross climb. The holy cross wilderness is one of my favorite places in CO I've been to so far. Congrats on a great trip given your hardships. The 4X4 roads here are pretty gnarly! Thought I'd post these pics showing a sunrise on Holy Cross from Notch Mountain (the peak east across the bowl of tears with the big notch). I tend to avoid 14ers and I climbed Notch (a 13er) that day to get the sunrise on the famous Holy Cross Peak.
First Rays of Light on Holy Cross
The Halo Ridge and Holy Cross Thanks so much for sharing. It's nice to read TR's from other states on NWhikers PS If you ever go back try and avoid the 14ers as the 13ers are so much less visited and more pristine.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Jan 04, 2024 6:49 pm 
Such a great report, and one more reason I love nwhikers.net so much!!!! I think a Colorado thread would make nwhikers.net even better than it already is. smile.gif Cheers B!

Gimpilator