Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Seattle Backpackers Meetup Group (meetup.com)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
detsea

detsea
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 4:48 pm 
i was a backpackers meetup member
i was a backpackers meetup member... i joined after living in seattle for one month. i didnt know anyone when i moved here. i went to one meetup that was like a meet and greet. i wouldnt give them any money. i have more experience as a backpacker, was my impression. i just thought if i did go on any of their hikes that it would be a good way to meet people. i had been told by owenbeij about the rescue effort. i was skeptical on whether or not they had planned accordingly. he was actually collecting money at the gathering to donate to the rescuers who had helped them out. in light of everything else i just read, hopefully the money was given to the rescuers... i did meet some nice people that night. regardless, i never wanted to go to another meeting or event after that. i wonder if the $85 - $115 is like a sherpa fee? maybe owenbeij will carry all your crap if you go with him. i guess its because of people like this that meetup.com had to put this in thier terms and conditions disclaimer, "You should use common sense and be careful in deciding whether to make a payment to an Organizer. Organizers have full discretion whether and how to spend money in connection with their Meetup Groups or Alliances. We cannot ensure that an Organizer is legitimate and truthful, that he or she will use payments as promised, or that you will be happy with how your payment is spent." being from michigan, one might refer to him as a [removed by mod].

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 5:09 pm 
Quote:
collecting money at the gathering to donate to the rescuers
lol.gif rotf.gif ykm.gif As DHM noted earlier there are other meetup groups for those interested in hooking up for hikes. Seattle Outdoor Adventures Meetup is one of them.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 5:42 pm 
deasea: I was also at the social that night. I think I was the only one who showed up with photos and maps. He passed the hat to collect money twice that night -- once for the rescuers, and a second time to help with the costs of running the Meetup.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
matt.greenlake
Matt_M

matt.greenlake
Matt_M
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 6:31 pm 
I'm getting sick just thinking about this garbage. I don't like hatin' on anyone. My motivation is to help spread the word that this unrepentant [removed by mod] is looking for easy money. Considering how much he stole from investors I think we're all being way too kind, but I'll settle for just helping people steer clear of him. Passing the hat to help with the cost of the meetup when the corporate sponsorships are more than covering the 12 bones a month it costs is asinine. He's obviously extremely dangerous to follow into the woods. He clearly has no qualms about lying for money. I hope any and all are comfortable sharing this information freely to help keep his world VERY small and opportunity for unethical behavior slight. Yes, I'm a little riled up. This stuff is the tip of the iceberg with him and I really am showing restraint. It would be nice to keep the most egregious of his efforts in check where the opportunity presents itself.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Oct 02, 2009 6:38 pm 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Anyone here a member?
Really cheapily. hmmm.gif

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSun Oct 04, 2009 7:32 am 
Wow. Just wow.

Tazz

Tazz
PostSun Oct 04, 2009 8:03 am 
SH,no one is bashing the meetup groups. And you got that last thread about the mounties all wrong!! It was a discussion about the fees not a mounties bashing thread. And yes many folks go to the hills to get away from crowds and groups. Nothing wrong with that just like nothing wrong with using a group like the mounties and meet up to do it. It is just that mounties and good groups in meetup have real true leaders who are not trying to scam you. This thread was started to call out an individual who is a scam artist. He has been busted and had to move to seattle and is now scamming good folks who just want to meet folks and hike. He has only 4 yrs experience and has already lead a group into serious danger only 2 yrs ago. then he turns around and wants $85-$115 for a class to teach "his Knowledge" That to me is a scam!!! why pay $$$$ for an [removed by mod] like that when you can join one of the other groups in meetup, join a lagit group like the mounties, Join the group that dicentra and sarbar are a part of, or meet folks on here. Folks I came here in 2005. I had no hiking partners except my (at the time) husband. We had a baby and could not get out on harder hikes unless solo. As we all know how my I hate solo cause it is boring. I started posting. I started to meet folks from the site. I also drove all the way from portland to meet and hike/climb with these folks. The list of folks grew and grew. I now know LOTS of folks and have a list of folks from this site, CC.com, and summit post that i have met and gotten out with. the only time i paid a dime to any organized group was for crevasse rescue training from the mazamas in portland. Since then I have not paid a dime to meet folks and get out and hike with folks. You don't have to pay to find partners to hike with on this site. the levels of hikers here is AWESOME! Starting from complete newb to very seasoned climbers that have climbed all around the world, and everything in between. I would not trust this whacked out dude!! too bad he can't be called out to the meet up group on his scamming ways.

Tazz

Tazz
PostSun Oct 04, 2009 8:44 am 
the OP was trying to ask questions about this dude cause he got the e-mail from the scammer. he just didn't point it out in the first post. he is in no way interested in joining the group for the hikes (he is already in meet-up hence the e-mail he got) He was trying to prod.gif folks to start up a conversation about this guy and his mass e-mails to scam folks. I KNOW this because I have talked with Will. So yes this thread IS about the scam man. biggrin.gif Wow you are gullible!! Just like all those poor folks who are signing up to have him "teach" them. There should be focus on this guy when he has a history of scams and a history of leading a group into serious danger and is using good folks to make a fast $. I don't like organized groups SH. I go to the hills to get away from the organization of society. Although I will get out with folks from this site who don't have the background i do and advise, support, and encourage them. I have done it a few times this year. I never asked for their $$$. The friendship and seeing them smile ear to ear and glow with happiness when proud of their accomplishment is much better than $$. agree.gif up.gif

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSun Oct 04, 2009 8:59 am 
Ditto everything Tazz said. This guy is DANGEROUS and he's ultimately going to get someone killed. He does not know his limits or his own abilities. I used to be a part of a meetup group for my book group (we sorta fell apart b/c too many people moved etc). NO ONE passed a hat for money. Ever. Instead, we bought the organizer a drink or dinner etc in exchange for her fronting the money. Meetup itself isn't a bad thing... if it is ran by competent people.

Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostSun Oct 04, 2009 4:35 pm 
man, people sure love to say ass hat on this site.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSun Oct 04, 2009 8:14 pm 
Nisquaww wrote:
man, people sure love to say ass hat on this site.
If the hat fits... bagger.gif

matt.greenlake
Matt_M

matt.greenlake
Matt_M
PostFri Nov 27, 2009 7:18 pm 
Speaking of the hat fitting
Speaking of the hat fitting... Ever been threatened with your domain name? --- On Fri, 11/27/09, Cameron <seattlebackpackers@yahoo.com> wrote: From: Cameron <seattlebackpackers@yahoo.com> Subject: I own MATTHEWMORGENROTH.COM To: matt.greenlake@yahoo.com Date: Friday, November 27, 2009, 3:09 PM You have pushed me too far. I now own MATTHEWMORGENROTH.COM domain. I expect you to delete ALL posts from the below NWhikers threads that you posted that have anything to do with me or seattlebackpackers. You have until Monday the 30th of november at 5tongue.gifm. If you do not delete all existing posts regarding me and cease to post anything about me in the future on ANY web forum I assure this will not end well for you. Matt you brought this onto yourself and now you have an opportunity to correct the situation. I hope you choose to do the right thing. Cameron https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7963667&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7978958&highlight=cameron

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 27, 2009 7:28 pm 
Wow, thanks for the winter entertainment. chow.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix