Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions for hiking the Swiss/Austrian Alps and Tatras?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
steve_podleski

steve_podleski
PostTue Feb 23, 2010 11:19 am 
Hi My sister and I plan to spend two weeks doing day hikes in Switzerland or Austria and the Slovakian side of the Tatras. I'm looking for suggestions for hikes and hiking guide books. I have the Cicerone Guide on the Bernese Alps and another Cicerone book on the Tatras. Amazon list half dozen Cicerone hiking/walking books on the Austrian Alps. Any suggestion will be appreciated!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
WetDog

WetDog
PostTue Feb 23, 2010 12:00 pm 
Hey Steve, My buddy and I are in the exact same process for hut-to-hut hiking in the Alps this coming June. Still working the details and whatnot out. But here is some information that may help. This site shows all the stages with descriptions, distances, gain\loss, etc. Via Alpine You may also want to consider signing up with the Austrian Alpine Club to get discounts at the huts; membership also includes insurance for mountain rescue. Austrian Alpine Club The second site also has links to hut info such as opening dates, contact info, etc. We're struggling to find a descent route given we'll be on the shoulder season and it appears many huts don't open till mid-June. Wetdog

steve_podleski

steve_podleski
PostTue Feb 23, 2010 12:22 pm 
Excellent! We plan to go in August.

touron

touron
PostTue Feb 23, 2010 1:31 pm 
This book might be worth looking at and may be available from the library. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
steve_podleski

steve_podleski
PostTue Feb 23, 2010 2:26 pm 
touron wrote:
This book might be worth looking at and may be available from the library. up.gif up.gif
Thanks. Did not now that Ira Springs wrote a book on hiking outside the Cascades! I can see why you recommend getting a copy from the library...$120!

WetDog

WetDog
PostTue Feb 23, 2010 2:34 pm 
Yea, problem with most of the books on the Alps is that they are targeting only certain huts versus stringing them together for a multiday hike....which is more my goal.