Forum Index > Partners > Mount Pilchuck 2/27-2/28
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostWed Feb 24, 2010 11:20 pm 
I'm itching to do my first overnight this season...Why not Pilchuck? Actually the weather looks questionable...but it's still on my mind,I just wanna do it as long as the avy danger is low.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Feb 25, 2010 1:37 am 
Ya know i loved it so much last weekend i wouldn't mind going up there again. If i'm understanding Photographers Ephemeris if the clouds manage to part, the nearly full Moon will rise just south of Glacier peak about the same time the sun is setting. Sound like something i would like to set up for a time lapse. Unfortunately i am already engaged in another activity. banghead.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Feb 25, 2010 7:20 am 
Not much avy danger on Pilchuck if you stay on the route & don't wander on the north side of the ridge (like some people clown.gif )

mepokeu

mepokeu
PostThu Feb 25, 2010 10:23 am 
I would but I will be hiking this weekend with my 5 month old strapped to my chest and Mount Pilchuck would be too dangerous for that!

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostThu Feb 25, 2010 11:19 am 
mepokeu wrote:
I would but I will be hiking this weekend with my 5 month old strapped to my chest and Mount Pilchuck would be too dangerous for that!
Just wondering... How long is the hike this time a year? I would love to do it some time, I just have so many trips planned already.

North by Northwest
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 25, 2010 11:35 am 
Probably 4-6 hours RT depending on your speed and time spent on top.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu Feb 25, 2010 3:46 pm 
If I don't have any other trips planned, and if I have no friends over, I would certainly love to join. So currently my answer is mabe, if your willing to have me come along.

mepokeu

mepokeu
PostThu Feb 25, 2010 9:02 pm 
RokIzGud wrote:
mepokeu wrote:
Just wondering... How long is the hike this time a year? I would love to do it some time, I just have so many trips planned already.
If i remember right.. We left at 10am and made it to the top by 1pm. But we were going slow taking pictures and hulk had a 20,000 lb pack on.. well maybe not that heavy, but he had alot of photography gear and other nice items i wish i had!

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Feb 25, 2010 10:36 pm 
RokIzGud wrote:
Assuming you can still drive all the way up to the parking lot the trail gains 2100 feet or so in 2.5 miles. I suspect some people short cut it going more directly up at a certain point. I haven't done this hike in many moons and it was on a nice summer afternoon so never been up there in snow/ice. So I guess the question to answer is how long does it take you to hike 2 1/2 miles with that kind of elevation gain with at least some of it on snow/ice.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Feb 26, 2010 12:50 am 
Quote:
If i remember right.. We left at 10am and made it to the top by 1pm. But we were going slow taking pictures and hulk had a 20,000 lb pack on.. well maybe not that heavy, but he had alot of photography gear and other nice items i wish i had!
Funny, i was looking at larger packs so a can carry more $hit. rolleyes.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
mepokeu

mepokeu
PostFri Feb 26, 2010 9:34 pm 
like2thruhike you headed up this weekend?