Forum Index > Partners > Goat Lake April 11th (Snowed in...Destination Heather Lk)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AmericanHiker

AmericanHiker
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 6:00 am 
Awesome! Lets do this!! biggrin.gif

Im looking for new poeple to hike with!!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 8:44 am 
10:00 works great for me. I just realized I will only have my 30L pack since I discovered my old pack doesn't fit anymore. Maybe I can stuff another day pack in my bag to wear frontward on the way back down, that would bring my capacity up to about 50L. I'm excited! This is going to be fun.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Apr 03, 2010 9:46 am 
Me and my 6,000 cubic inch pack (100 liters) will be there, with extra garbage bags. Barring really awful weather, like downpour. Drizzle OK. I'll probably get there an hour early and start up, and no doubt I'll still be the last one to the lake.

Cody s

Cody s
PostMon Apr 05, 2010 7:56 pm 
I'm inerested up.gif Don't care to do the raft thing but I am willing to pack down some garbage. I have access to tons of garbage bags. Anyone know how the trail is? I just hiked boulder river and it was a mess. How about the road in from Darrington?

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Apr 06, 2010 1:01 am 
NOAA Forcast mad.gif
Quote:
Tonight...Showers likely. Snow level 2500 feet. Snow accumulation 2 to 4 inches. Southeast wind in the passes near 10 mph becoming southwest after midnight. Tuesday...Showers likely in the morning...then mostly cloudy with a chance of showers in the afternoon. Snow level 2500 feet. Snow accumulation 1 to 3 inches. Afternoon pass temperatures in the mid 30s. Southwest wind in the passes 10 to 15 mph. Tuesday Night...Cloudy with a chance of rain or snow. Snow level 2500 feet. Southwest wind in the passes 10 to 15 mph. Wednesday...Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain and snow north part. Snow level 3000 feet. Afternoon pass temperatures near 40. Southwest wind in the passes 10 to 15 mph. Wednesday Night...Rain and snow. Snow level 5000 feet. Light wind. Thursday...Breezy...showers. Snow level 2000 feet. Afternoon pass temperatures in the lower 30s. Thursday Night...Showers likely. Snow level 1500 feet. Friday Through Monday...Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Snow level 2000 feet.
The trails to Goat Lake are in better shape than the upper half of the Boulder river trail. I made the trip from Granite Falls to Darrington last Sunday. There is lots of fresh snow at Barlow pass, with just a dusting at the Goat Lake trail head. From Darrington to Goat lake trail head the road is rather pot holed.
Goat Lake TH
Goat Lake TH
To be honest it was a bit of a struggle to get over Barlow pass with all the fresh snow. I still doubt it's enough to re-freeze the lake, but i suspect that any trash will get burried in snow. frown.gif After such a mile winter and this is a bit of a surprise to see this in April. rolleyes.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostWed Apr 07, 2010 8:49 pm 
Is it still a go for Sunday? I hear we have more lowland snow on the way... I'm going out to the woods Sunday one way or another (childcare is already set up!), so I'm still willing to give it a go if others are. But I want to get Hulk's number so I have someone to call to drag my ass out of the snow if I get stuck. hmmm.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed Apr 07, 2010 11:33 pm 
I doubt very much this is going to happen unless you want to snow shoe in and dig out 2-3 ft. of snow. I'd wait another 3-4 weeks.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Apr 07, 2010 11:59 pm 
I afraid geohiker is correct. frown.gif I'm afraid it's gona be a 10 mile snow shoe trip by now. So it might be best to delay. Thoughts?

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Apr 08, 2010 6:37 am 
Yea buses in Granite Falls on snow routes this morning. If it's that interesting in Granite Falls I can imagine what it might look like towards Barlow Pass...

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostThu Apr 08, 2010 8:33 am 
That's what I figured. Maybe next month.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Apr 08, 2010 10:22 am 
Quote:
Yea buses in Granite Falls on snow routes this morning. If it's that interesting in Granite Falls I can imagine what it might look like towards Barlow Pass...
Yea there was a dusting of snow in town this morning. Don't think it justified snow routes, but it's often much worse on the outskirts. It's also extremely windy up here, lots of garbage cans blowing around. So snow will be drifting.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Apr 08, 2010 10:22 am 
We should get together anyway. The weather isn't looking too bad, and we could do a little hike/snowshoe up to Heather lake or some such. This could be the start of a new hiking club of sorts, "The Garbage Collectors". Or how about the Trash Pickers? hmmm.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Apr 08, 2010 11:37 am 
I'm up for a snow shoe trip. It would be nice to use those brand new snow shoe's a purchased last November at least once this season. embarassedlaugh.gif How's Slugmans suggestion sound?

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostThu Apr 08, 2010 1:09 pm 
I'm down with that. As long as you don't mind a really inexperienced snowshoer with only one trip to Paradise under her belt. I was up at Heather a couple of weeks ago, and there was WAY more snow then when I went in feb, starting about a half mile from the lake.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Apr 08, 2010 2:10 pm 
I'm in, with Daisy the wonder dog as well. It will be her first real hike since recovering from her sickness in February/March. I suggested Heather lake because I know Lake 22 can have avalanche hazard at times.