Forum Index > Partners > A broken bone, From Zero to Everest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fzte
All in the Boots

fzte
All in the Boots
PostThu Mar 18, 2010 11:15 am 
Hey guys. Some of you might already know about my charity project, From Zero to Everest. I am climbing 5 big mountains for The Moyer Foundation's Camp Erin program. It's an incredible weekend-long camp for kids suffering a loss of any kind. It helps them learn that their grief is perfectly normal and helps them make lifelong friends with children in a similar situation. The mountains I am climbing for Camp Erin are Mt. Rainier, Denali, Aconcagua, Cho Oyu and finally Everest in 2012. Thanks to some great folks from NWHikers and Cascade Climbers, I've been able to learn the ropes and make my way up about a dozen Washington peaks over the winter.
Broken
Broken
Sadly, I broke my ankle about two weeks ago while running in Edmonds, my home town. A simple ankle roll will have me down for another 4-6 weeks. I've really been enjoying reading your TR's while I'm stuck on the couch and can't wait to get back up there!
Almost ready to start climbing again...
Almost ready to start climbing again...
Anyway, I am looking for locals that would like to carry the Camp Erin summit flag with them on a climb or two while I am unable to walk. I as well as The Moyer Foundation would really appreciate it and I'd love to post your TR's on the FZTE blog, Facebook, and Twitter. Here is the flag in question:
Ryan from CC on Mt. Baker summit
Ryan from CC on Mt. Baker summit
Anyone interested? Thanks in advance!

Climbing for Camp Erin - Zero to Everest | Facebook | Twitter
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Mar 18, 2010 2:49 pm 
fzte, you'll probably get a lot of takers on carrying that flag. I'm doing a few smaller summits early season and one bigger one; I'll let you know when I go & arrange about the flag. So sorry about your ankle!!!!! (I love the photo, though). frown.gif You're awesome.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
fzte
All in the Boots

fzte
All in the Boots
PostThu Mar 18, 2010 5:11 pm 
Thanks Quark! The removable cast actually hurts worse than the break, haha. It was so uncomfortable that I couldn't sleep for days. Then I discovered that if I wear a Smartwoool Mountaineering sock underneath it feels way better. biggrin.gif Give me a call before you head out if you want to take the flag. I can also mail it if that's easier. My number is 56-CLIMB-101.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu Mar 18, 2010 10:23 pm 
Let me know if I can ever borrow the Camp Erin summit flag, I would love to summit with it. biggrin.gif Sorry to hear about what happend, I hope for the best on your quest. up.gif Perhaps you could join me on my trip up Rainier in May if your feeling up to it.

fzte
All in the Boots

fzte
All in the Boots
PostSun Mar 21, 2010 3:58 pm 
Hey Josh! Thanks. You can definitely use the Camp Erin flag. Just let me know when you've got plans. I'm still not sure exactly when I'll be able to climb again but Rainier in May is a possibility. I'm actually still planning on Denali in June so we'll see how that goes lol.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Apr 21, 2010 8:37 pm 
Just to bump this up for folks to read. But I can't get onto ftze's website; haven't heard from him. Can anyone see his website?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed Apr 21, 2010 9:18 pm 
I can see it. It's just you. ;-)

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
fzte
All in the Boots

fzte
All in the Boots
PostWed Apr 21, 2010 9:45 pm 
Hey guys! I just checked the site and it looks like it's working. The Camp Erin flag is still up for grabs if anyone's doing any hiking soon! The healing is going well. I still use a walking cast when out and about but I can walk around the house barefoot without much discomfort. I'm going to try hiking in a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu Apr 22, 2010 3:35 pm 
Is the flag still needing of carrying up mountains? I plan on climbing the Ice Cliff Glacier route on Mount Stuart (North Face) coming up, so it would be sweet to summit with a flag! biggrin.gif

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostFri Apr 30, 2010 6:45 am 
UPDATE: Good news! I found out last night that "FZTE" has healed much sooner than previously expected. He is already riding his bike again, and is ready for some non-technical hikes, before switching back over to technical hikes by next month. up.gif up.gif up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
fzte
All in the Boots

fzte
All in the Boots
PostTue May 04, 2010 9:44 pm 
Yup, I'm back to 98% right now! Hopefully the avalanche danger settles down soon... I'm itching to try out my new crampons. (The last ones had a major fault and broke on Baker).

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue May 04, 2010 11:13 pm 
Yeah!

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin