Forum Index > Partners > Lookout Mountain - Marblemount
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
veronika

veronika
PostWed May 05, 2010 11:38 am 
I want to hike lookout mountain really, really, really bad. I have never been so I need any volunteers that are experienced with this hike and are willing to take me up... I am in good shape. I would not say I am slow but then again, I am not fast either. I would prefereably like to get up soon enough to be the first few and stay the night at the lookout. Any weekend is good for me except 15-16th. Any takers?

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 05, 2010 11:45 am 
What's the snow level up there? How's your Chinese? It's a very very steep slope with a runout clear to China, so if you slip, you'll have to swear in Chinese. Not sure which dialect, though....

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed May 05, 2010 11:48 am 
Hamenut rant.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed May 05, 2010 11:53 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Hamenut rant.gif
confused.gif ??? There's a webcam right here that's pointed at Lookout Mountain. I look at this one a lot for N Cascades conditions.

veronika

veronika
PostWed May 05, 2010 11:56 am 
Not sure the snow level right now... Been trying to find something online... Is it easier with snow or without? I suppose if I slip, I won't be swearing in any language. biggrin.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
veronika

veronika
PostWed May 05, 2010 11:58 am 
I also want to do Three Fingers lookout.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed May 05, 2010 11:59 am 
There's a big avalanche chute coming down the east side just below the top that the trail switchbacks up - after the Monogram Lake turnoff. You want to have solid snow conditions to cross it. Here's a photo looking at it in February.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed May 05, 2010 12:03 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Hamenut rant.gif
confused.gif ???
Chinese obscenity reversed to protect the innocent. wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 05, 2010 12:26 pm 
Here is a TR and some pics from last years trip 4/4/09 up Lookout Mtn via Lookout Mtn Rd. Lookout Mountain 2009 We were just up Twisp River Rd., West of Winthrop, and to the East of Lookout Mountain in the Finley Mountain area. From the South Lookout's ridge and summit looked snow free, with a small amount of snow on the North side, the snow level for the area on the North side of mountains seemed to be in the 3000' - 3500' level so coming in Lookout Mountain Rd. you would have to walk some to the shorter North TH, coming in Poorman Creek you might also run into snow before hitting the Lookout Ridge Trail from the West. I would think the Libby Creek Rd. to Poorman Creek Rd. coming from the South would be open. I'll check on when we did Block Mtn. last year because Poorman Rd. was open then and edit the post. It is a great viewpoint though. The owner of the gear shop in Winthrop said below 4000' everything seems to be about a month a head of schedule.

Living in the Anthropocene
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 05, 2010 12:36 pm 
We did Block May 9th last year and Poorman Creek Rd. was completely open, so I would imagine it would be so this year. It's 4.6 miles from there along the Lookout Ridge Trail to the summit from the West, you might try Lookout Mountain Rd. and see how the North approach is, or if you can get to the North TH it's at 4400' and is 1.5 miles to the summit.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed May 05, 2010 2:35 pm 
Hiker in training wrote:
I've been up part of this mountain (Lookout Mountain, the one near Marblemount) during February of 2008 but I timed out and I heard a nasty avalanche above us. As for Three Fingers, I've summited it in September which was an awesome trip, and would be willing to go back there again. It would probably be better to do Three Fingers in later season unless you want to do some glacier travel or very steep snow travel. And if I were to come, you got a free trail breaker. wink.gif

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed May 05, 2010 3:30 pm 
You guys appear to be talking about two different Lookout Mtns. Ed is talking about the 5515' one near Twisp and others are talking about the 5699' peak near Marblemount. Both of which are Lookout Mtns which still have lookouts on them. Maybe the original poster might want to specify which one he/she is talking about.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 05, 2010 3:55 pm 
dizzy.gif Sorry, there are just too many mountains in this state. winksmile.gif

veronika

veronika
PostWed May 05, 2010 8:14 pm 
Eric wrote:
You guys appear to be talking about two different Lookout Mtns. Ed is talking about the 5515' one near Twisp and others are talking about the 5699' peak near Marblemount. Both of which are Lookout Mtns which still have lookouts on them. Maybe the original poster might want to specify which one he/she is talking about.
I was checking it out online and I keep finding pics of the one in Twisp. I think the one I want to do is in Marblemount.

veronika

veronika
PostWed May 05, 2010 8:17 pm 
Flow wrote:
Hiker in training wrote:
I've been up part of this mountain (Lookout Mountain, the one near Marblemount) during February of 2008 but I timed out and I heard a nasty avalanche above us. As for Three Fingers, I've summited it in September which was an awesome trip, and would be willing to go back there again. It would probably be better to do Three Fingers in later season unless you want to do some glacier travel or very steep snow travel. And if I were to come, you got a free trail breaker. wink.gif
I completely apologize... Wildernessed is absolutely right, there are too many mountains in Washington! Well, not too many but too many to keep them strainght. (Hence "Hiker in Trainig") tongue.gif It is Three Fingers that I REALLY want to do. Still want to do Lookout in MARBLEMOUNT as well.