Forum Index > Partners > Ozette-Rialto May 22-24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nice_marmot

nice_marmot
PostWed May 12, 2010 9:18 pm 
Hello all, My girlfriend and I would like to take a walk along the ONP coast, and the Ozette-Rialto strip seems to be what we're looking for. Unfortunately, we have only the 1 car, and shuttles for hire in this part of the world seem to carry quite the price tag. If anyone would care to join us to share shuttles, or swap keys halfway in opposite directions, please let me know. Thanks, Colin

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 12, 2010 11:45 pm 
That's a beautiful area. Lots of rocks, though. Miles and miles of walking on rocks, some of them slippery. Just be prepared for it. Don't take too much weight, bring poles for balance, and wear footwear that has a flexible sole to form to the rocks somewhat. Maybe crosstrainers, or lightweight day hikers. Expect maybe 50% walking on sand, some firm and some loose, and the other 50% on rocks.

graywolf

graywolf
PostThu May 13, 2010 8:25 am 
I'll be kayaking to the south end of Ozette Lake. Going out the abandoned Allen's Bay trail to Norwegian Memorial. Might see you out there.

The only easy day was yesterday...
strider

strider
PostThu May 13, 2010 9:22 am 
Sluggo's got it spot on. I'd suggest keeping your options open by adding a third day to your trip plan. Things like tides and boulders can slow progress more than one might expect. The mileage to walk isn't large but it won't pass at the pace you expect. Also, three nights rather than two gives better odds of catching that spectacular sunset..... and the beach deserves to be wandered along, not raced thru.

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu May 13, 2010 5:39 pm 
Posted in another thread, a link to an Olympic shuttle service: http://www.goallpoints.com/

realityguy

Location: 95% Lynnwood,5% Joyce..wish it was the other way around!
realityguy
PostFri May 14, 2010 11:03 pm 
Better call and make arrangements in advance as far as camping permits.I tried to maybe go to Yellow Banks(below Ozette,quota system as of May 1) the other day(saturday?) and they considered it full with only two campsites there!...so I headed north instead to Seafield Creek and ended up with only a day hike(by choice).

nice_marmot

nice_marmot
PostMon May 17, 2010 2:30 pm 
Hi all, Thanks for the replies. A little bit of extra info, the ideal plan is to head from Rialto towards Ozette, with a similar itinerary to this excellent trip report I came across, perhaps written by a forum member: http://www.metatropo.com/reports/rialtobeach_ozettelake090206.shtml That schedule would work out well for us, with a short leg on the first day after the drive out from Calgary, and winding up with the final campsite just outside the area for which we'd need reservations. I've gotten the shuttle price for these trailheads from goallpoints, but $150 is a bit steep for us, this is supposed to be my inexpensive hobby! It would just about be cheaper to rent an extra car out of Port Angeles! So I've devised an alternate plan if I can't find a cheaper shuttle option, I'm thinking we might just do 2 separate smaller trips: Ozette triangle, with a camp night on the beach south of Yellow Banks, and a separate trip out of Shi-Shi, with an in-and-out 1 night trip from there. I don't like backtracking, but it seems the financially prudent thing to do in our situation. I haven't looked much into Shi-Shi, other than that we'll need a Makah permit, so I'll be doing some poking around on that. Thanks again, Colin

realityguy

realityguy
PostMon May 17, 2010 5:16 pm 
Makah permit..stop at the grocery store(only one in town really)..$7 or 10 for the year..

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon May 17, 2010 5:46 pm 
Shi Shi - Park at one of the places near the trail head charging money for parking. It would be more than unwise to try to just park on the side of the road.

realityguy

realityguy
PostMon May 17, 2010 8:14 pm 
Quote:
That schedule would work out well for us, with a short leg on the first day after the drive out from Calgary, and winding up with the final campsite just outside the area for which we'd need reservations.
You may want to hit the lower section instead with that first day getting into Toleak Point.The tide seems to be low in the late afternoon and it should be an easy trip to get in there.It's a nice easy hike without the rock sections(some over headlands),beautiful beaches with lots of campsites..about 6.2 miles I think..or you can camp on Taylor Head in a couple spots(right before you drop back down to the beach is a good one)..or Scott's Camp in a couple spots also,Strawberry Point(2 or 4,5, or 6 mile spots(All the way to Toleak takes a high of 4ft tide or so....You can park for free at 3rd Beach,a few road miles from Rialto. I think I'm heading up there this weekend,probably leave here wednesday...however,I don't want to hang you up for reservations anywhere if something comes up and I can't go. Toleak as far as camping spots is huge!Lots of them under the trees and places on beaches,no problem getting a nice spot at any time with a beautiful beach out front.Lots of privacy for the most part,especially during the week(only one other person both times I went there,and no one beyond Third Beach(Strawberry Bay before Taylor Head)) on a couple day hikes).You can day hike the lower headlands of the lower section during the next day(wide flat sandy beach for a couple miles to get to the headlands from Toleak) and return to Toleak if you don't find a partner for the thru-hike. The parking safety is probably about the same at Rialto as Third Beach.I've never had problems at either but leave nothing exposed in the car(van)..and even leave the cabinet doors inside open to show nothing worth stealing is there. If you want to cover lots of beach and see seastacks,might be a better option!No real rocky sections..mostly hard sand and some softer stuff.

ejain

ejain
PostTue May 18, 2010 8:34 am 
Keep an eye on the weather.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue May 18, 2010 11:45 am 
Normally I agree that through hiking and loop hikes are better than backtracking. But Shi Shi is so awesome that seeing it twice, once from each direction, is not overkill. And of course the other option you mention, the Ozette triangle, is a loop, so you're good there. Go for it! You won't regret it, not one second. Be sure to look for the petroglyphs at Wedding Rocks between Sand Point and Cape Alava.

nice_marmot

nice_marmot
PostWed May 19, 2010 8:48 pm 
I've got my Yellow Banks reservation, we're all set. As for weather, here's hoping it only gets as bad as...unending rain. One of the bonuses of this smaller itinerary is if a real big bad storm brews up, we're not too far in to make a U-turn. For parking, we'll definitely use a proper lot. Would it be correct to assume these won't be too difficult to find once we're out there? I expect the people selling the permits have sent their fair share of hikers on the right path. Thanks for all the help everyone, Colin

realityguy

realityguy
PostThu May 20, 2010 9:25 am 
Ozette's is pretty obvious where you have to park there..just follow the road past the ranger's station to the right over the small bridge and put your pass or your ONP pass on the dashboard..no charge.Check inside the ranger's staion at the head of the trail(maps,conditions,what to expect for campsites,etc..) At Shi-shi..the two spots to pay park are marked.I wouldn't leave your car in the ONP parking area overnight.The road follows the beach at that point.Both private places are signed well,one has posts for parking spaces..Bring your bike chain and padlock.. lol.gif ..(Just kidding about the bike lock)...Supposed to be .8 miles from the trailhead..Drop your gear and wife at the TH and hoof it back empty after parking,what most people do.I don't know the pay situation/amount if someone takes your money or you put it in a box with the post number..I'd have exact change in $5 or $10s... I might run into you out there;will be a matter of timing.I'll be wearing a golite gold pack and hopefully picking up glass floats(I can dream. lol.gif .).I hope to get out of here in the morning and might be doing a couple day hikes on the beaches up there. My picture is on the Hurricane Hill trip report..say "hi" if I run into you!Right now my solid plans are vague(things that need to get done here in town before I can go) but I should be up for sure by saturday afternoon and maybe hiking with halffast on sunday.If I go sooner,I'll take a day hike(saturday) towards Yellow Banks from Ozette(haven't gone that way yet)and probably another day hike to Shi-shi on monday depending on how I feel of course after a couple days of previous hiking. There is a possibility we could plan/do the thru hike of the upper section together..if we happen to meet at Yellow Banks to discuss that possibility(see how far down I get in a day hike and weather).I don't want to mess up your planned trip so must just play this by ear depending on what gets accomplished for me here... I don't know how long your trip will be and what other areas are planned besides the beaches.At one point,you were talking about other state parks in the area to visit and camp in.Salt Creek is a pretty good one with Crescent Beach next to it,Striped Peak Trail..Log Cabin Resort maybe open for tents(open yet or tenting?Google)don't know anymore) with the Spruce Railroad Trail along the north edge of Lake Crescent,Mt Muller is 20 minutes from there as is the Elwah Valley trails(Geyser Valley,Hurricane Hill) and about 20 minutes from the Soleduck Valley entrance of the park also.Both Log cabin Resort and Salt Creek are only about 15-20 minutes from Port Angeles and several good restaurants(Thai,Chinese,French,Pizza,Steaks and Seafood after excellent day hikes or overnights in the ONP. Google the items mentioned above..you might add some to your trip.PM me if you want..I'll be on and off the net all day...

realityguy

realityguy
PostThu May 20, 2010 9:40 am 
If you want a longer hike in(and the weather/tide is good..as slugman suggested..take the Alava(right) side at the fork of the beach trail..go 3 miles to the beach,then three miles down a somewhat rocky/sandy beach to Sand Point..then on to Yellow Banks.. if you have the time. Most of the trail is boardwalks and easy gravel sections..nothing strenuous in the woods with a very tiny amount of elevation loss or gain(50'?).I think the Sand Point side has more boardwalks is the only difference...and the extra 3 miles of beach with some interesting features...