Forum Index > Trip Reports > Vets Peak 5-15-10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cartman

cartman
PostWed May 19, 2010 10:35 pm 
This is the 7157' high point of the ridge 5 miles east of the East Creek TH and one mile west of Methow Pinnacles on the north side of Highway 20. I'd been suggesting this one nearly every week for about a month as a good spring day trip, based on a TOPO map of the area, probable safe ridge run and the likelihood of great views. Matt found some pics from a trip up Gabriel etc. several years ago in June, which showed the terrain going up to this peak that made it look like a good choice for the dangerous avy conditions forecasted, so we decided to finally make this one happen. Joining us were gregor, Dave C., Martin and Mike C. We parked at the pullout just E of where Hwy 20 crosses Granite Creek. We decided to do the most direct of the three prospective routes since the map and pics made it look like a safe treed ridge run until close to the main E-W trending ridge. This is a trail-less route trending a little left but mostly up the hillside. Easy but sustained up on this route. One spot where we had to thread through a minor cliff band up a short, loose gully. Views south kept getting better as we gained elevation and the trees got more open. We didn't hit snow until far up the slope; snow was firm and we never used snowshoes. About 250' below the main ridge, two choices presented themselves. Continue up the ridge (more like a steeper, sparsely treed slope here) or traverse left 200-300', part of the way below an open slope to another ridge that looked better. I dug a pit here to check on the snow conditions, and found 5 feet of good consolidated snow, no weak layers. This face gets a lot of direct sun in the afternoon and must pack down more quickly than many others. I felt OK about traversing this based on the conditions observed from the pit, the firm footing up to there, the temps were not particularly warm yet, no cliffs or gorges below, and especially that the slope and surrounding slopes at that aspect (south) showed zero effects of warming--no snowballing or sliding. We all had beacons and avy gear. Once on the ridge we did observe point release snowballing on the east aspects which had received sun sooner. Booting over to this neighboring ridge then up to the main ridge on good snow, we continued to the summit with spectacular views in all directions. The summit even had bare rocks for hanging out. Plenty of pointing out of peaks--it's kind of amazing that despite all of the cumulative experience, we are still sometimes unsure which peak is which. We were all up for a traverse, so we headed north along the ridge with the goal of gaining the East Creek Trail at ~3600' and walking that out. Snow had softened considerably by this time so not reversing our route may have been a wise choice. As we continued to drop along the ridge, the post-holing became more troublesome so we tended to walk on the left out of the snow. Considerable blowdown on the ridge and slope; however, the trees are generally not very large so it's easy to step over or around them. But there are a lot of them. The ridge is rather broad in places, but when occasionally wandering too far left or right one can simply correct by contouring uphill until cresting the top, and then continuing back down. Gets a bit steep at ~4000', but easy to find a route through or around to the left. Connected to trail exactly where expected, which was in good shape, some blowdowns to negotiate but otherwise fine. Another good day in the hills. ~9 miles, 4000' gain. Eric Johnson

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu May 20, 2010 12:26 am 
Point 7157 Traverse (USGS Azurite), 5/15/10
Date: 5/15/10 Destination: Point 7157 (USGS Azurite) Party: cartman, gregor, Martin Shetter, Mike Collins, Dave Creeden, Matt Point 7157 lies midway on a ridge that rises from the East Creek trailhead on its northwest end to Methow Pinnacles on its southeast end. Because the ridge parallels East Creek, I’m naming it East Creek Ridge for convenience. Three possible routes lead to Point 7157.
  1. Granite Creek Direct Route: From the bridge where SR20 crosses Granite Creek, ascend a slope & ridge ENE to the unmarked point just south of Point 7157 (which I’ll call Point 7140 for convenience) and then follow the ridge briefly north to Point 7157. This route is less scenic, but most direct, and stays mostly on a crest that seemed likely to avoid avalanche terrain. 2.3 miles, 3800 gain. Yellow line on map.
  2. East Creek Ridge Route: From the East Creek trailhead, take the trail to 3600 feet, then follow the crest of East Creek Ridge southeast over Point 6844 to Point 7157. This route is longest but lowest angle. However, it has multudinous small trees to hop over. 5 miles, 4600 gain. Red line on map.
  3. Methow Pinnacles Route: From milepost 150, follow a rib ENE toward Methow Pinnacles. Circa 6600 feet, turn northwest, drop to a 6400-foot col, then follow the ridge over Ponit 7073 to Point 7157. This route is very scenic, but has somewhat open slopes near the turn. 4 miles, 4000 gain. Purple line on map.
We ascended via the Granite Creek Direct Route and descended via the East Creek Ridge Route. In more consolidated conditions, doing the compete run up the Methow Pinnacles Route and down the East Creek Ridge Route would be especially scenic.
Point 7157 Route map (Ignore the lines west of the highway from other trips.)
Point 7157 Route map (Ignore the lines west of the highway from other trips.)
Point 7157 Route viewed from high perspective in Google Maps Earth View
Point 7157 Route viewed from high perspective in Google Maps Earth View
Point 7157 Route viewed from low perspective in Google Maps Earth View
Point 7157 Route viewed from low perspective in Google Maps Earth View
SR20 to Point 7140 We parked at a wide turnout where Granite Creek crosses the highway. Going up, we were on bare ground all the way up to 6000 feet. We stayed to the east edge of the rib, where it was most melted out. Circa 4600 feet there was a brief (20-foot) scramble up a rock outcrop. Otherwise it was open forest and easy walking. Along the way, I enjoyed the piney smell of the trees baking in the hot sunlight. Above 6000 feet, we were on snow, but it was a relatively shallow snowpack and surprisingly consolidated and cool in the morning. We never used our snowshoes all day.
Going up mostly dry ground with a few patches of snow
Going up mostly dry ground with a few patches of snow
Point 7140 At Point 7140 (the unmarked closed contour just south of Pont 7157) we gained the ridge crest, with fine views of the ridge stretching both north and south parallel to the highway.
Arriving on 7140, with view west to County Line Ridge & Gabriel
Arriving on 7140, with view west to County Line Ridge & Gabriel
Looking SE to Point 7073 & Methow Pinnacles, with Mebbe Pass on left
6 labels
Looking SE to Point 7073 & Methow Pinnacles, with Mebbe Pass on left
Mebbe Pass, Holliway & Golden Horn
Mebbe Pass, Holliway & Golden Horn
View north up East Creek Ridge & East Creek
View north up East Creek Ridge & East Creek
The following 180-degree panorama bends the straight ridge into curves at the end. Point 7157 is on left; Point 7073 & Methow Pinnacle are on right; Magestic Peak, Ballard & Azurite across the center.
180-degree panorama looking east from Point 7140.
2 labels
180-degree panorama looking east from Point 7140.
To Point 7157 Then it was a quick run north on the crest to Point 7157.
Martin & Dave on 7157 summit
Martin & Dave on 7157 summit
Running the crest from 7140 to 7157
Running the crest from 7140 to 7157
Point 7157 The summit had open rocks for relaxing and was so warm that I never needed a jacket.
Comfy rocks for a summit break & nap
Comfy rocks for a summit break & nap
Enjoying the view northwest
Enjoying the view northwest
Looking north to our descent ridge & to Jack & McKay
4 labels
Looking north to our descent ridge & to Jack & McKay
View south to Mebbe Pass peaks, Methow Pinnacle & Point 7073
View south to Mebbe Pass peaks, Methow Pinnacle & Point 7073
Summit tea
Summit tea
Wandering around the summit rocks:
Some stitched panoramas:
180 degree pan from SE to SW to NW
180 degree pan from SE to SW to NW
90 degree pan looking west: Ragged Ridge, Icecap Traverse. & Gabriel/Elija group
13 labels
90 degree pan looking west: Ragged Ridge, Icecap Traverse. & Gabriel/Elija group
Some neighboring peaks:
Black Peak, with Repulse, Fisher, & Graybeard at front right
4 labels
Black Peak, with Repulse, Fisher, & Graybeard at front right
Ragged Ridge (& Logan)
Ragged Ridge (& Logan)
Icecap Traverse (Eldorado, Klawatti, Austera, Tricouni, Primus)
1 label
Icecap Traverse (Eldorado, Klawatti, Austera, Tricouni, Primus)
Azurite, showing the snow-filled central gully
Azurite, showing the snow-filled central gully
Spring also brought out the ladybugs. I spotted my first ladybug of the year in our tracks before the summit. On the summit, we found that under every rock where flocks of ladybugs.
First ladybug sighting of the year, sitting in a footprint on the snow
First ladybug sighting of the year, sitting in a footprint on the snow
The ladybug in context, with Azurite behind
The ladybug in context, with Azurite behind
Ladybugs on overturned summit rock
Ladybugs on overturned summit rock
To Point 6844 With such fine weather, we decided to take the longer descent route northwest on the ridge to the East Creek trailhead. This also let us stay on the flat crest of the ridge as the snow warmed up. I was glad to extend the day as long as possible to enjoy the luscious warm feeling of the air, after so many cold wintry trips.
Descending from Point 7157
Descending from Point 7157
Heading from Point 7157 to Point 6844
Heading from Point 7157 to Point 6844
Looking back from Pont 6844 to Point 7157, Point 7073, & Methow Pinnacles.
3 labels
Looking back from Pont 6844 to Point 7157, Point 7073, & Methow Pinnacles.
Descending East Creek Ridge to East Creek Trailhead Beyond Point 6844, the ridge had snow only on the crest, with mostly bare dirt on the west side. At one point, a rock knuckle required a brief 3rd class rock scramble on the left side.
Somewhat corniced crest beyond Point 6844
Somewhat corniced crest beyond Point 6844
The rock knuckle on the ridge
3 labels
The rock knuckle on the ridge
Crossing the knuckle
Crossing the knuckle
Parallel to us, the long summit of Majestic Peak ran on the opposite side of East Creek.
150-degree pan of the long crest of McKay & Magestic
3 labels
150-degree pan of the long crest of McKay & Magestic
Further down the ridge became a bit broader and flatter, but the shallower snowpack was saturated, causing frequent knee-deep postholing. Below 5000 feet we were on dry ground, but it was covered with small lodgepole pine trunks. The small trunks were easy to step over, but they were everywhere, so our pace was a zigzagging skip and hop over all the trunks. A few rock outcrops were easily bypassed. Because of all the hurdles, I wouldn’t recommend trying to ascend via this route. At 3600 feet we hit the trail (impossible to miss since it crosses the nose of the ridge) and followed it down to Granite Creek and the trailhead.
Hurdles on the descent ridge
Hurdles on the descent ridge
Looking back toward the snowy high points
Looking back toward the snowy high points
Granite Creek
Granite Creek
We hadn’t shuttled a car to leave at the East Creek trailhead, because I had assumed it would be easy to hitchhike a ride back up the highway to our cars. Not so. Martin was unable to get any eastbound cars to stop. Maybe his Chuck Norris look is too intimidating. Finally I flagged down a westbound car, which kindly gave one of our drivers a ride back to the cars. The key was not to stick out a thumb for hitchhiking, but rather desperately wave your arms and look pathetic, so that someone will stop long enough to learn that we only need a ride for 4 miles.
SR20 view back to our ascent ridge while trying to hitchhike back to the cars
SR20 view back to our ascent ridge while trying to hitchhike back to the cars

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Now I Fly
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostThu May 20, 2010 9:05 am 
Matt -- I'm enjoying your animated photos. Both this TR and the last one. Keep doing them. smile.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
iron

iron
PostThu May 20, 2010 9:13 am 
Re: Point 7157 Traverse (USGS Azurite), 5/15/10
Matt wrote:
The key was not to stick out a thumb for hitchhiking, but rather desperately wave your arms and look pathetic, so that someone will stop long enough to learn that we only need a ride for 4 miles.
excellent advice winksmile.gif

RichP

RichP
PostThu May 20, 2010 10:17 am 
I love a good ridge walk like this one. I'll definitely keep this in my memory bank for the future. Thanks up.gif

loper

loper
PostFri May 21, 2010 8:36 pm 
Another good day in the mountains brought to us by Matt and Cartman. Thanks for the TR. smile.gif Wish I could have swung joining you guys. (Only two more LOR FT till I am free, free I say, freeeeeee!) Lisa