Forum Index > Trail Talk > Road Conditions / Closures
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostWed Aug 04, 2010 1:51 pm 
Official Sites - source of much of the information here Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest - Alerts and Notices Road and Trail Conditions Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest - Current Conditions Olympic National Forest - new Current Conditions page is now available Olympic National Park - Current Road Conditions hotline 360-565-3131 Mt Rainier National Park - Current Road Conditions hotline 360-569-2211 press 2 then (2 for current road conditions or 3 for anticipated opening/construction projects) Gifford Pinchot National Forest - Alerts & Notices Washington State DOT - Mountain Passes Naches Ranger District - Conditions Wenatchee River Ranger District - Conditions In general, post in alphabetical order by common road name within each section unless there are more natural geographical groupings (e.g. North Fork XXX, South Fork XXX) Mount Rainier Corral Pass (FS 7174) Closed since 2015 fire, campground area high severity fire with many hazardous trees. Chinook Pass (SR 410) website Mowich Lake Road (SR 165) Mowich Lake, Spray Park, Echo/Observation Rock Typically opens in July Stevens Canyon Road Grand Park back door, Huckleberry Creek Rd 73, Was in good condition 2023 all of the way to Lonesome Lake I-90 Talapus (9030), Mason Lake (9031)? Cold Creek Road (9070) to Windy Pass and PCT 7-22-2022 Drove to Mt Catherine TH in Subaru Forester. Several sections of serious potholes. Two sections with parallel gullies along the length of the road. Once the fall rains start those gullies will collect water and I suspect serious road damage will result. Joey Tinkham (55), Good condition as of Fall 2023. May have logging traffic from Hansen Creek in 2024. Garcia (9020) ? Middle Fork Snoqualmie Road (FS 56) Mailbox TH, Taylor River TH, Dingford Creek TH, Goldmyer Hot Springs 05/15/23. Paved section open. Gravel section to Dingford trailhead is very rough.The Goldmyer Access Report usually has updated road conditions. [b]North Fork Snoqualmie Road (FS 57) Bare, Dog, Goat, Phelps, ... 10/01/2014 A $75 permit is required to access Hancock Timber lands along the North Fork road. The road is public and you can drive through Hancock lands to reach FS areas for free, but you can't park and climb Fuller or visit other attractions on their land without the permit. Rocky Run (FS 4832) The spur (136 per Google Maps) to the backdoor TH is extra brushy but save for a nasty water channel right at the beginning and some moderate rutting about halfway in is still more or less drivable. Extra clearance would be good, don't take a car you don't want to add pinstripes to. Teanaway North Fork Teanaway road (9737) Teanaway Middle Fork (NFD 113) Jack Creek Road (9738) Stafford Creek Road 9703 Beverly turnpike road (1391) (7.28.2021, Joey) Two bad spots washing out. We were very careful and did OK in a Subaru Forester. Low clearance might not make it. Jungle Creek (FS 9701) Teanaway Butte, Way Creek trail, Jungle Creek trail "Road Closed" sign at the beginning of the road. Cle Elum Trails - road closures - [*][b]Taneum - Manastash Area
  • FSR 3350 - South Cle Elum Ridge Road
  • FSR 33 - Taneum Road
  • FSR 3100 - Manastash Road
  • FSR 3120 near 3100 Junction. [/b]
  • FSR 3100 near Buck Meadows.
  • FSR 4517-117 - Granite Creek Road.
[*]Cle Elum Valley - FSR 4308 - French Cabin at 120 Junction. [*]Cle Elum Valley Road NF-4330 [*]Swauk and Liberty FSR 9707 - Pole Patch Road - two areas - First near spur 115, the second is near 4WD319. [*]Red Top Road [/list] [b]Teanaway Ridge/Jack Creek (FS 9738) ? Mountain Loop Mountain Loop Highway, Likely to melt out by late May 2023 Green Mtn Road (FS 41) - Tupso Pass, Three Fingers, Closed @ mile 8.6 due to damage to South Fork Canyon Creek bridge. No time line for repairs. Approx 10 miles to trail head @ Tupso Pass FS 4110, Green Mtn., Pot holed..more like craters. 6/4/14 FS 4111, Canyon Lake, Closed at mile 0 due to wash out. 6/4/14 FS 42, Mt Pilchuck, reconstructed 2023 North Fork Sauk Road (FS 49), 4096 Bedal Creek High clearance recommended, brushed out. Call the Darrington Ranger District at 360-436-1155 for current information Segelsen Road (FS 18), Call the Darrington Ranger District at 360-436-1155 for current information. www.fs.usda.gov/mbs Pugh (2095), Closed (seasonal) Straight Creek Road (FS 27), Multiple washouts Suiattle River Road (FS 26), Tenas Creek Road (FS 2660), Severe fire damage after bridge, expect fallen trees Whitechuck River Road (FS 23), Washed out at mile 4, possible to bike past. C-Post Mt Higgens access. Must park near 530 and hike in. Highway 2 & Leavenworth FSR #62 and roads to Persis trailhead - Gate often CLOSED. If locked in call sheriff. Sultan Basin Road, ? Beckler River Road (FS 65), ? Chiwawa River Road (FS 6200) Phelps Creek TH, Spider Gap, Buck Creek Pass, Gate at end of paved road may be closed Icicle Creek Road (FS 7600) - Chatter Creek, 4th of July Creek, Icicle Creek, Snow Lakes In Winter, usually closed to wheeled vehicles past the 8 Mile Road junction. Eight Mile Road (FS 7601) - Enchantments, Colchuck Lake Usually closed in winter to wheeled vehicles. NFD 6024 - Baring Mountain Barclay Lake Road is closed indefinitely due to 2022 Bolt Creek Fire Ranger Road (FS 7701) 6/6/20 - gate closed at bottom North Cascades and Baker, Mt Baker Ranger District Church Mountain (FR 3040), Welcome Pass (FR 3060), rough Canyon Creek (FR 31), good condition, may have logging traffic or construction over the next several years Nooksack Road (FR 34), Deadhorse Road (FR 37), Washed out at around mile 3, Middle Fork Nooksack (FR 38), long with a good number of potholes Glacier Creek (FR 39), Washed out repaired October 2023 Thompson Creek (FR 3910) North Cascades Highway (SR 20), Cascade River Road (FR 15), Open to Park Boundary Sibley Creek, Hidden Lake (FR 1540), Road is rough but popular. Very bad section at last switchback barely passable to a Subaru. Illabot Creek Road (FR 16), very brushy and narrow. Not recommended during rain events due to the landslide risk. Mt. St. Helens Due to a fire there is no longer a shelter at Marble Mountain Sno-Park. Forest Road 10 2012. Closed. Mitchell Peak north access - from DNR: "While the forestland is managed by DNR, the only access road to the trailhead—10 Road—cuts across private landownership, and the new landowner has gated and closed access to the road just east of the intersection with the S-1000 Road. DNR does not have a recreation easement for recreation access across this road. DNR land managers are working on a solution.In the meantime, the only access to Mitchell Peak trail is from the North Siouxon Creek Trailhead, in the southern part of the Siouxon Block. The distance from this trailhead to the top of Mitchell Peak is about 13 miles." Olympic Peninsula Olympic National Park - see current road conditions. Mount Baldy, Maynard Burn, Tyler Peak - FS 2870/120, ? Mount Ellinor, FR 24 and 2419 Mount Jupiter Road The trail and access to the trailhead are closed through fall of 2023. Yakima County/ Naches Ranger District S. Fork Tieton Road 1000 wildcat 1306 road McDaniel Lake/Buck Lake Road No. 1502 1504 road Rattlesnake Mount Hood National Forest

Wiki summmary last edited by nilloc29 on Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:48 am (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 09, 2022 2:45 pm 
Just read US12 closed or closing from Packwood ro White Pass and SR 123 closed from White Pass to Cayuse Pass due to smoke from Goat Rocks fire eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

dylpickle
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Nov 08, 2022 11:03 am 
Mountain Loop closes tomorrow Nov 9 https://twitter.com/LynnwoodTimes/status/1590039198979223553

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostTue Nov 08, 2022 4:10 pm 
Just saw notice from WADOT hwy. 20 is closed for the season.

hikerbiker
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 08, 2022 5:50 pm 
Joey wrote:
Mountain Loop closes tomorrow Nov 9 https://twitter.com/LynnwoodTimes/status/1590039198979223553
Tried to hit up the ice caves before the closure, arrived at the deer creek gate to find it open but with a sign stating, road closed. So naturally we drove past about a mile or so where they were working on clearing some downed trees, turned around and went home,mission aborted and failed.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
dkemp
DoxManDude

dkemp
DoxManDude
PostTue Nov 15, 2022 5:20 pm 
Our Scout troop is going to 29 Pines this weekend. I assume the road there is fine, but would like confirmation. We've gone there in November before and its always worked, but Im trying to avoid a big surprise. Im sure the campground lane will be snowy, but probably Teanaway Road will be clear. I called DNR and such but they havent called me back. Anyone been out there lately?

Get up early, go all day, come home tired.
EeeZee

EeeZee
PostSat Nov 26, 2022 8:12 pm 
Pretty bad washout on FR 57 in the North Fork just after you turn to head to the Bare Mountain TH/Lennox Creek. I was able to barely squeak by the deep ruts on the right, but then encountered a large tree across the road about 100yds after that.

ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostMon Dec 05, 2022 3:40 pm 
Just curious - does anyone know if Tinkham Road (FS 55, between I-90 Exit 42 and Exit 47) is regularly plowed? We did a snowshoe from the McClellan Butte trailhead yesterday, and the road wasn't plowed in the morning, but it was in the afternoon when we returned. I don't know how far it was plowed beyond the M.B. road. Incidentally, the McClellan Butte trailhead road is driveable, but I'd say only with AWD/FWD and winter tires. It's pretty well packed in the tire ruts but 7-8" deep outside of that. We had no problems in our Subarus with snow tires.

nilloc29

nilloc29
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 11:52 am 
From my research this winter I have discovered information about several road projects that either occured in late 2022 or are planned for 2023. Mount Rainier National Park --------------------- Steven Canyon Road has reconstruction continuing through 2023, there will be delays Monday-Thursday https://highways.fhwa.dot.gov/federal-lands/projects/wa/rehabilitate-stevens-canyon-road-mp-50-140 Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest --------------‐------ 2023 Mount Pilchuck Road Reconstruction: -4.83 miles of Road 42 will be regraded, asphalt patched, and road edges brushed. -several spur roads will also be maintained https://sam.gov/opp/3ea73824aa204e9f80dd6db0a3970c04/view Middle Fork Nooksack Road Reconstruction: -6 miles will be brushed and graded Wells Creek Road to 3310 junction Reconstruction: -The first 4.32 miles will be brushed and graded to the 3310 junction. - the 3310 will be brushed and graded. West Church Road -Road 3120 will be brushed and graded to the 3124 junction -1 mile of the 3124 rd will be brushed and graded Whistler Creek Road (Church Lake) - the first mile of 3160 will be brushed and graded https://sam.gov/opp/3ea73824aa204e9f80dd6db0a3970c04/view Gifford Pinchot National Forest ---------------------------- 2023 Road 63 Landslide Repair - the large landslide North of Randle on Road 63 will be repaired. - This gives alternative access to Silver Creek Road 47 instead of using Skate Creek Road. https://sam.gov/opp/743b4bacbd53430880043747508a539b/view

Mountainpines, Brian Curtis, RichP, ALW Hiker
nilloc29

nilloc29
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 5:46 pm 
Here is a quick map I made of the closures on the Whitechuck Road and Straight Creek Road. I was thinking about hiking Meadow Mountain this summer until I saw a WTA report that earlier this month the Whitechuck Road had a 15 foot section slide into the river at milepost 4. From what I have read it sounds like Straight Creek Road will not be passable beyond Rat Trap Falls without an OHV or bike.
I have also made a map of some closures on Deer Creek and Coal Creek Roads as of Fall 2022.
The other flood closures on the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie that I know of are: -Glacier Creek Road to Heliotrope Trailhead -Deadhorse Creek Road to Skyline Divide -South Fork Nooksack before Blue Lake turn As far as I know those have no funding for repair or reopening in 2023. Likely Fire Closures: -Suiattle Road (Likely all of 2023 due to 2022 fire) -Tenas Creek (Likely all of 2023 due to 2022 fire) -Barclay Creek (Likely all of 2023 due to 2022 fire)
I did see mention that the Miller River Washout might be repaired in 2023 but am unsure how certain that is.

RichP
timberghost

timberghost
PostSun Jan 22, 2023 8:58 pm 
Last time I talked to the USFS about Miller river a year ago they said it would be a couple years before the bridge washout would be fixed.

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Mar 29, 2023 2:04 pm 
Beckler river road has been closed since the fire. Turned around at the campground. No snow.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Mar 29, 2023 6:18 pm 
Went all the way to camp 9 yesterday(end of pavement. Fair Warning water out for an old grey Ford pickup with tinted windows up there. The guy is a trouble maker and wants confronations.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostWed Apr 12, 2023 9:57 pm 
Thank you for updates.

peter707

peter707
PostFri Apr 21, 2023 12:17 pm 
Quote:
Note: The Box Canyon and Grove of the Patriarchs parking lots will be closed for overnight parking for the 2023 season due to construction. Backpackers may park in the overflow parking area just outside of the Stevens Canyon Fee area and walk west to the Silver Falls trail to connect to the Cowlitz Divide Trail. The Cowlitz Divide Trail connects to the Wonderland Trail north of Nickel Creek Campsite. This will add approximately 1.8 miles.
Not sure specifically where the 1.8 miles is.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Apr 21, 2023 2:46 pm 
There is a major bridge out on the JMT between Piute And Bishop Pass Trail termini. Bypasses look to be very difficult.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn