Forum Index > Trail Talk > The RidgeRat Hikes Web site is closing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RidgeRat
retired ridgemaster

RidgeRat
retired ridgemaster
PostWed Dec 06, 2023 2:31 pm 
The disappearance of the site might be a disappointment to the regular visitors, both of you, but because of complications beyond my control I am no longer able to visit the places covered in my "guidebook" site, to make sure that descriptions are accurate and images remain relevant. The trip narratives, the map illustrations, the GPX files, recommendations, and the rude comments from "RidgeRat" -- all of those things are now gone. Attention trail guide authors, Web masters, photo-historians, curious hikers: I am making available a collection of about 350 photos (used by or intended for the site) for release under the CC-BY-4.0 license. That basically means that you could do pretty much anything you want with them, for personal, commercial, or publication purposes, short of claiming copyright and ownership. The images are mostly low-compression JPG images; but I should be able to provide whatever form (file format, aspect ratio, resolution, color space, etc.) you might need. I have attached ONE of the 85 contact sheets to this message as a teaser... there are just too many to post here, and too many to register with Google (not that it is any of their business). You can view or download any of the contact sheets at the remains of the RidgeRat Hikes Web Site, for as long as it lasts. If you are interested in obtaining any of the original images, please use the contact information presented on the Web page at the end of the catalog list, or mail me via this forum.
See you up on the ridges -- I wish.

Exmoor
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
peter707

peter707
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 3:30 pm 
RidgeRat
retired ridgemaster

RidgeRat
retired ridgemaster
PostTue Dec 12, 2023 6:37 pm 
Thanks for the link! I see that much of the material from the "Trails" section of the site is missing from the archive -- just as well, because so much of the material was stale anyway. Anybody thinking it would be much easier just to download image files from the archive, keep in mind that mirroring the site does not release any content from copyright. In any case, the posted images were all resized, cooked, compressed for efficient Web presentation, and are unlikely to be useful for any other purpose.