Forum Index > Trip Reports > Seven Fingered Jack
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 3:15 pm 
We had planned on hiking in a ways on Friday night and camping, but after seeing about 69 cars at the TH we opted to go to a campground about a mile down the road to spend the night. Saturday morning we headed up into Leroy basin to begin our assault upon 7FJ Sunday morning.
Parking Lot
Parking Lot
We got an early {afternoon} start and headed for Phelps creek. The multiple water crossings are low and did not require getting wet feet (unless you are a clutz) or disrobing. The insects were not all that bad although somewhat irritating.
we are going there?!?!
we are going there?!?!
some pretty flowers there, heh?
some pretty flowers there, heh?
trail 'breakin'
trail 'breakin'
sure were going there?
sure were going there?
next time route
next time route
company at the camp site
company at the camp site
Glacier peak
Glacier peak
nice breeze here up high
nice breeze here up high
I only appear tired. :embarassedlaugh:
I only appear tired. embarassedlaugh.gif
Glacier peak
Glacier peak
My first attempt at a 'boot' shot facing N.
view from tent
view from tent
All in all a great trip, learning experience, and I will do it again! cheers.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 3:25 pm 
Nice! Obviously great conditions for a fun trip! up.gif up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 3:42 pm 
Thanks. The conditions were great, it was no where near as hot as we expected and most of the time there was a nice cool breeze. I gambled and left my rain fly at home. I have a MH tent with a lot of screening so I had a great view of the mountains and later the stars which were simply spectacular. Plus the bugs couldn't get me.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 3:47 pm 
Fantastic!! up.gif up.gif I gotta get up there someday.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Tall Hiker Man

Tall Hiker Man
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 4:04 pm 
Nice!

veronika

veronika
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 4:11 pm 
Hey Chief, the summit is still to the left. hockeygrin.gif clown.gif hockeygrin.gif EDIT: My 2 cents below: First off, this was a great and fun trip all in all. However, it was my first backpacking trip so it was equally hell! I admit I have learned alot and I will more than likely say the same thing on the next one. We finally headed up the TH at around noon Saturday. Our original plans were to head up earlier and do Maude one day and 7FJ the next... we figured that there were so many freaking cars Friday night, no need to head up early and get a good spot (they obviously beat us to the punch). We ended up parking about 1/2 mile from the trailhead. By that time, there were close to 100 cars. It was insane. Looking at the TH register thingy, it was obvious where everyone was headed... not our direction. up.gif Of course pretty much uneventful up to Leroy Creek. Saw some hikers coming out... the first campground there was almost full so it was smart not to hike in the night before. Who knows where we would have ended up. A patch of Heather? eek.gif JK. I do have to say that the creek crossing is much better than the last time I was up there.
Leroy Creek 7.10.10.JPG
Leroy Creek 7.10.10.JPG
Leroy Creek 8.15.10.JPG
Leroy Creek 8.15.10.JPG
The slog up Leroy Creek was insanely brutal as always. The flies were quite annoying. Definitely no lack of those. mad.gif No skeeters until the sun started going down up in the basin.
Leroy Creek turn off.JPG
Leroy Creek turn off.JPG
Leroy Creek Falls.JPG
Leroy Creek Falls.JPG
Chief Joseph On Leroy Creek Trail.JPG
Chief Joseph On Leroy Creek Trail.JPG
Wonderful trail.JPG
Wonderful trail.JPG
and more trail....JPG
and more trail....JPG
At this point I told the Chief we were almost there  :naughty: .JPG
At this point I told the Chief we were almost there naughty.gif .JPG
We decided to set up camp and call it a night. I was going to tackle 7FJ when we arrived but by that time I was already too pissed off at the flies so opted not to. Decided to hang low and enjoy the rest of the evening. 7FJ actually looks quite different than when it did last month as well.
7FJ 7.10.10.JPG
7FJ 7.10.10.JPG
7FJ 8.15.10.JPG
7FJ 8.15.10.JPG
camp (notice my tent is right side out? (yellow one).JPG
camp (notice my tent is right side out? (yellow one).JPG
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif
7FJ in the front yard  :up: .JPG
7FJ in the front yard up.gif .JPG
Alpenglow on 7FJ.JPG
Alpenglow on 7FJ.JPG
pano.jpg
pano.jpg
The next morning we decided to head up 7FJ... I now think we should have done Maude instead. It was worse than I thought it would be. As long as you stay close to the (very sparse) solid rock you will be okay. Of course that is not possible on this mountain.
Like this one. I think there were a few pebbles holding it in place.  :eek: .JPG
Like this one. I think there were a few pebbles holding it in place. eek.gif .JPG
038.JPG
038.JPG
040.JPG
040.JPG
Don't want to get caught in here!.JPG
Don't want to get caught in here!.JPG
051.JPG
051.JPG
053.JPG
053.JPG
CLUE! The Ed Miller TSR is under this rock.JPG
CLUE! The Ed Miller TSR is under this rock.JPG
Ed Miller Traveling Summit Register
060.JPG
060.JPG
064.JPG
064.JPG
070.JPG
070.JPG
071.JPG
071.JPG
What is this um... flower?.JPG
What is this um... flower?.JPG
Back down at Leroy Creek and obviously tired as all helll!.JPG
Back down at Leroy Creek and obviously tired as all helll!.JPG

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 4:23 pm 
Yep, 'twas great fun although I can do without so many loose rocks.

ajax
stronger than dirt

ajax
stronger than dirt
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 5:00 pm 
Was that you Friday morning? Did I ask you where you were going, and did you say, "Carne Mtn", but your original plans were the meadow? You look kinda like that guy. We were a group of two guys, one girl. We spent the night at Schaefer Cr. CG and got a start about 9:20 Friday morning if I recall correctly. I was frustrated at the cars in the lot that morning (67 when we started, and some cars were parked even farther out Sunday afternoon, I guess around 90-100 total).

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 5:19 pm 
ajax wrote:
Was that you Friday morning? Did I ask you where you were going, and did you say, "Carne Mtn", but your original plans were the meadow? You look kinda like that guy. We were a group of two guys, one girl. We spent the night at Schaefer Cr. CG and got a start about 9:20 Friday morning if I recall correctly. I was frustrated at the cars in the lot that morning (67 when we started, and some cars were parked even farther out Sunday afternoon, I guess around 90-100 total).
No, not us. We did not arrive until about 10-11 pm Friday night, I was guessing at the "69 cars", lol, I might have been close. I do know that we had almost a half mile walk to the TH. Great place though. We were very fortunate to find a great campsite nearby.

ajax
stronger than dirt

ajax
stronger than dirt
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 5:30 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
ajax wrote:
No, not us. We did not arrive until about 10-11 pm Friday night, I was guessing at the "69 cars", lol, I might have been close. I do know that we had almost a half mile walk to the TH. Great place though. We were very fortunate to find a great campsite nearby.
By Friday morning I meant Saturday morning--oops! Yes, we were quite fortunate as well. We couldn't find any spots all the way up to Schaefer Cr CG. We got in around 9:30pm Friday night. We were the last spot at Schaefer and not 5 minutes passed when another car drove by looking for a spot! The good news is there is room for all in that area, so long as they don't require permits in that area. Even if you continue along Phelps Creek trail, you can explore a ways out onto Larch Knob and get some privacy. There were several unoccupied spots there Saturday night--some were quite high and required some physical exertion, but some weren't so bad.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 5:57 pm 
So did you guys head to the summit on Saturday morning or leave the TH for Leroy Basin on Saturday morning? It's hard to tell in your report...a group of us summited around 4:45pm on Saturday. We didn't see a register at the summit of any kind - would have been fun to find the traveling one. Great weekend to be up there! up.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 8:14 pm 
Thanks, yes, it was awesome.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 9:23 pm 
Nice work guys. When one is in Leroy Basin looking at SFJ and Maude, Fernow is off to the left. I believe the top of it is visible from the basin.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 9:29 pm 
Good stuff you two. up.gif Ed would approve.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 9:49 pm 
Thanks Magellan.