Forum Index > Trail Talk > what trail should i brush out?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 11:37 pm 
since i'm out of work, and the weather's starting to turn, i'm thinking of grabbing some pruners and small saws and heading out to some of our less maintained trails to do a little de-brushing. my knowledge of really bad trails is limited, so i'm looking for suggestions. i'm mostly willing to cut logs and branches, but not so much into the idea of shoveling or repairing any part of the dirt/rock trail itself as other organizations like WTA are much more knowledgeable and capable in that arena. thanks! Marble Pass or Troublesome Creek. hockeygrin.gif Mineral creek to Park lakes. agree.gif Marten Lake, Middle Fork. Short bad section in an avy chute. Scatter Creek to Grindstone, although when the road opens again this will probably get official attention. Lennox Creek trail, up the North Fork Snoqualmie. That's got lots of brush to lop hockeygrin.gif South Cascade River to South Cascade lake! moon.gif Mt. Phelps (N. Fork Snoq.) - lots of downed trees to be cleared, trail overgrown wink.gif Pitcher Mtn. (Carbon Ridge) - At least through the meadow area, if not beyond Mineral City to Poodle Dog Pass embarassedlaugh.gif

Wiki summmary last edited by Gsnorgathon on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:05 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 11:50 pm 
I wanted to check out the trail to Devil's peak off of Deer creek road, it appeared to be grown over, I might wait 'till October to check it out.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 11:57 pm 
Here's my top 2 list left this summer. I have 4-5 I shouldn't mention as they might incriminate someone. paranoid.gif You could find dozens of old abandoned roads! Sultan Basin, N Fork Sultan River Rd. is on top of my list. 3 years now decommissioned it's gone to hell in a hand basket. 5 miles of lowland old growth road wandering to the backside of Vesper and beyond. The first mile I did several years ago, but beyond it's gone wild. I haven't been up there this summer, but last Fall it was nearly unpassable in brush and downfall. Gawd help you if it's wet. Next road nearby is Williamson Creek and that's #2. That's on my radar in the next 3-4 weeks before the snow flies. It's actually in much better shape than the N. Fork rd. I have implements of trail/road destruction at hand, chain saws, saws, picks, shovels, etc etc. I've wanted to get a group together and do a trail clearing. If there's interest I'm there! up.gif PS, Mineral Creek is always on my list, but that gets attention every so often from owners.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 12:12 am 
Rock Creek Trail needs pruning. No shovel work. Some work here could make a big difference. Call the Forest Service and ask for permission. The areas that need work are near the top and can be reached from the Alpental Trail head in less than 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 10:49 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I wanted to check out the trail to Devil's peak off of Deer creek road, it appeared to be grown over, I might wait 'till October to check it out.
I trimmed out the first mile of that like two years ago. lol.gif If you go bring loppers.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 2:09 pm 
GeoHiker said
Quote:
Next road nearby is Williamson Creek and that's #2. That's on my radar in the next 3-4 weeks before the snow flies. It's actually in much better shape than the N. Fork rd. I have implements of trail/road destruction at hand, chain saws, saws, picks, shovels, etc etc. I've wanted to get a group together and do a trail clearing. If there's interest I'm there! up.gif
Have you got the boats? That was the problem when we tried to put together a Williamson Creek-Copper Lake expedition 8 years ago. Rubber rafts were illegal and nobody had the necessary canoes or kayaks or whatever. If you can interest Sultan Guy, I believe he does have boats to spare. We used his when we made the Williamson Creek trip 2 years ago. And I'd be interested (if I can fit it in). I did about a hundred yard by hand, while SG and his buddy Erik bashed their way up to the Copper outfall.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 2:29 pm 
Suggest you guys shut your pie holes and do this via PM....? prod.gif It's illegal to cut brush from current trails without land management agency, and trails that have been taken off of Forest Service inventory, and I assume it's the same with DNR, etc. Plus, the trail you're working on may already be under contract by someone else to either work on, or recover from obsoletion (is that a word?). Renegade trail maintenance is like traveling cross-country while wielding a machete, or camping on the heather at Cascade Pass. Screech and whine all you want about how it's not fair, and they don't maintain this, and the bastards are closing that - I'm not debating that, I'm just advising to stop shooting off your faces about where you're going, because vigilante maintenance is illegal. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 4:30 pm 
How about the trail to napeequa

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 5:18 pm 
South Cascade River to South Cascade lake!~

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 5:35 pm 
Quark, I love you, but that's kinda nuts. First of all, illegal? Really? Do you have a cite for that? That's not a rhetorical question. I believe that you might because you know so much about these things, I'm curious to see it. Second, assuming it's illegal for people to voluntarily perform trail maintenance -- because, you know, the USFS far prefers paying contractors $100,000 per foot to do the same thing -- you really think someone's going to get in trouble because they mentioned a specific trail on nwhikers.net? What does that prove, exactly? And would even the most myopic government bureaucrat will pursue a hiker from cutting brush back from a trail? I hope people do post ideas here, because I"m curious what trails on the map are disappearing and which might get resurrected by heroic citizens like Iron. Kudos!!!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 5:52 pm 
Foist, I don't have a cite. Truly, chances are slim anyone doing renegade maintenance will be ticketed, but land managers do read this site, and lately, many here are admitting to doing things against the rules and laughing like hydras (or it it "hyenas?") afterwards. That's a slap in the face. They know work has been done on many old trails, and like any agency does with rules and laws on the books, they can turn their heads. I recall some friends of mine and I doing some renegade logging out of trails years ago - we really did some good work, and got into it on a regular basis. After a rollicking summer, we were asked by the FS to stop because of our lack of agency, and woah, hey, they just signed a contract to log yonder trail out; if we had logged it as we were planning to, the FS could be bound to pay the guy his contract for no reason. It would be fairly rude and pompous to continually do things against the rules or law, and rub their faces in it. That's no way to cultivate a relationship, and if Scrooge's idea of getting people on this site volunteering with the Forest Service to maintain roads like Illabot is going to get anywhere, a good start would be to gain their confidence by at least not planning stuff that's illegal (albiet only mildly so), on an internet site. Am I the only one to ever see this? confused.gif I know iron doesn't realize it's not legal to do trailwork on his own, and I'm not wishing to insult his good intention. Of course logging out and tread work aren't the same as brushwork, so chances are, the land manager likely won't care much about it being illegal. But still, it's good form to just do it quietly. If you're going to do some lopping and brushing, ask for a list of those interested, plan it via PM and then shut up about it. I know of several people on this site who do it just that way. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting

PostMon Sep 13, 2010 6:11 pm 
Listen to Quark.....she knows her stuff. You will probably get cited on removing or destroying vegetation without a permit. But there are LOTS of possibilities. You can explore the world of possibilities here: CFR 36

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 6:28 pm 
I think it's great any time folks want to work to improve our trails. I'd rely on Quark's advice though 'cause she knows more about it. But just a suggestion, if it's work you want to do...the WTA has plenty available any day of the week. agree.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Cody s

Cody s
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 8:32 pm 
Early winters to highway 20 Nice trail, but I hiked back on highway 20, way too brushy for the amount of rattlers up there.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 8:38 pm 
South Point in the South Cascades. Don't worry about the USFS. Outside of a very small number of popular places the chances of running into them are extremely remote. The value of improving trails is greater than the risk of getting busted and the consequences thereof.