Forum Index > Trail Talk > what trail should i brush out?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 11:37 pm 
since i'm out of work, and the weather's starting to turn, i'm thinking of grabbing some pruners and small saws and heading out to some of our less maintained trails to do a little de-brushing. my knowledge of really bad trails is limited, so i'm looking for suggestions. i'm mostly willing to cut logs and branches, but not so much into the idea of shoveling or repairing any part of the dirt/rock trail itself as other organizations like WTA are much more knowledgeable and capable in that arena. thanks! Marble Pass or Troublesome Creek. hockeygrin.gif Mineral creek to Park lakes. agree.gif Marten Lake, Middle Fork. Short bad section in an avy chute. Scatter Creek to Grindstone, although when the road opens again this will probably get official attention. Lennox Creek trail, up the North Fork Snoqualmie. That's got lots of brush to lop hockeygrin.gif South Cascade River to South Cascade lake! moon.gif Mt. Phelps (N. Fork Snoq.) - lots of downed trees to be cleared, trail overgrown wink.gif Pitcher Mtn. (Carbon Ridge) - At least through the meadow area, if not beyond Mineral City to Poodle Dog Pass embarassedlaugh.gif

Wiki summmary last edited by Gsnorgathon on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:05 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Sep 18, 2010 6:10 pm 
The main problem with bootleg brushing is that usually the well-meaning folk who do this do not clear the regulation 6 feet wide. As a result, any crew going in there has to finish the job. It's a good idea to find out what the proper specifications are before indulging in such activity. As I mentioned earlier, a number of ranger districts encourage individuals who want to get out and do this and instruct them in the proper procedure. Here's a quote from one of the trail maintenance gurus with the PCTA and Trail Keepers of Oregon:
Quote:
If you're going to do more than just making it easy for the hiker to stay on the trail, it's important to cut to the actual clearing limits - at least 6 foot wide at knee high. It's so disheartening to come in as a trail crew and have to make more cuts where someone has already cut just because they cut to about one foot wide, and of course the trail clearance is far wider. I've had this experience as a trail crew more than once and it really is frustrating and sad.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSat Sep 18, 2010 6:59 pm 
Even if you were to do anything under 6 feet it is better than nothing. It makes it easier to cut the other bush with even a small trail thru.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSat Sep 18, 2010 7:29 pm 
Here's what the FS thinks about unauthorized trail maintenance in the MBSNF. This has to be the dumbest sign I've ever seen. down.gif down.gif down.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Sep 18, 2010 7:54 pm 
Looks like some one edited that a little when they printed it.
Quote:
Constructing, placing, or maintaining any kind of road, trail, structure, fence, enclosure, communication equipment, or other improvement without a permit. (36 CFR 261.10a)
This one is oddly vague. huh.gif Placing, maintaining, or using camping equipment except in a place specifically designated or provided for such equipment. (36 CFR 261.11g) confused.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSat Sep 18, 2010 8:16 pm 
Often times it's up to the land managers to interpret the rules and how they see them. I was very surprised how the rules were bent and interpreted in OR when I worked down there. More common sense and empowering the people rather than relying on set rules. The way it should be IMHO. We seem to have an over abundance of city/out of state people running policy in our FS. If I see/hear another rule, road, this or that slapped up because of Fish policy I'm going to go postal! The salmon runs are at all time record highs right now. I see they (WDFW) are now allowing we keep unclipped native fish. Why you ask!....because there are so many freaking salmon coming back in the rivers. There is no native fish btw, that's just a policy fantasy that keeps fish biologists and state workers on the payroll. Hatchery fish have been such a big part of the runs for the past 60-70 years there's no pure native run left in our state that I know of. That's fine and good, the fish have come back very well. Drop all the endangered crap and don't micro manage every freaking foot of our lakes, rivers and streams. I know this has nothing to do with what iron is asking about. But in the long run it does. We have people out there believing this policy crap in the name of Fish, so it all trickles down eventually. Enough is enough ok!....... hockeygrin.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 18, 2010 8:22 pm 
A point not mentioned in this thread is that the lands management agency in charge of a particular trail or area might have a reason for closing and/or not maintaining a given trail. Sometimes it's money. Sometimes it's Grizzly Bears. Sometimes it's a safety issue, as in the case of the little side-trail that used to drop down off the Wright Meadow approach to Craggy Peak down into the cirque above Blue Lake. ( South Cascades ) Sometimes there are other issues that authorities won't divulge except in private one-on-one conversations where they know they're not being recorded or going to be quoted in print. ( Two I still use come immediately to mind. ) A guy could pick up the telephone, call the local District Ranger Office, tell them his name is Ronald McDonald, and inquire about a particular trail and the reason for its closure or seeming abandonment. If the answer is "money" or "lack of staff", ask if they'd object to your breaking in that new pair of loppers. What's to be lost other than the cost of the phone call? Vigilante stuff might be appropriate in some places, but I can think of too many where it would not be to say "hack away". re: trail width I will never forget Carl Pangratz ( trail crew supervisor, ONP ) walking me around a loop trail up at Kalaloch with arms outstretched, telling me "THIS is how wide I want this cleared out." Do it right or don't bother.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 18, 2010 8:29 pm 
Quote:
There is no native fish btw, that's just a policy fantasy that keeps fish biologists and state workers on the payroll. Hatchery fish have been such a big part of the runs for the past 60-70 years there's no pure native run left in our state that I know of.
That's funny... I just looked up "specious" in my dictionary and found that exact same quote as an example. smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSat Sep 18, 2010 8:39 pm 
One thing that I would certainly look at is whether you want to be clearing deadfall or brushing out trails. As mentioned in other places, brush will grow back. Dead trees do not. Certainly more can fall, but you can't do too much about that. I've always thought Also, there seems to be a lot of talk in this thread about overlap with trail crews and contractors working on those same trails etc. Perhaps I need to spend more time in the ALW or on more popular trails because I am seeing a lot of trails that see zero maintainence or have been officially abandoned so it is a bit odd to hear this sort of chatter as if someone would be doing this work if Iron or other folks do not. It's nice what the volunteer orgs do and what the USFS can pay for but it is clearly not enough. The demand for this is greater than the free labor available. More power to you for whatever you can do to help. Any harm you might do will be relatively inconsequentially to your fellow users and severely outweighed by the benefit to your fellow hikers. smile.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Sep 19, 2010 1:02 am 
George, thanks for your well thought out answer. You raise some aspects I hadn't thought of but have suffered from (e.g. the sharp stalks lurking behind new leaves). But I don't understand this (from someone else, not you)
Quote:
It's so disheartening to come in as a trail crew and have to make more cuts where someone has already cut just because they cut to about one foot wide, and of course the trail clearance is far wider.
When I clear out brush on my own land the first thing I do is make an initial narrow path through the overgrown section. That let's me see what I'm dealing with. How is this so "disheartening"?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Sep 19, 2010 6:50 am 
Eric wrote:
When I hiked it in July 09 the South Point trail had numerous small trees down across the trail. Maybe 100 or so. Probably more so on the upper trail. I can't speak to any changes due to logging or whatever since then.
Just a helpful hint. When reporting down trees it is nice to know the diameter of the biggest tree and how many trees. That way the trail opener knows what size and type of saw to pack along. Plus how much fuel...South Point is not wilderness or motorized but looks to be a grunt. Would like to have a pack animal other than The Used Dog along IF I did the whole thing. That won't happen this year. smile.gif I hope to work something out with the local FS folks eventually. How much upkeep is there to having a goat? A big goat? Ooops thread drift...my bad.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostSun Sep 19, 2010 1:58 pm 
I think my favorite forgotten trail is the Cougar Creek trail on Sloan Peak. About a decade ago I hear not many people were finding the old trail across Sloan Creek. I understand it got brushed then up to treeline. Then in 2002-3 a big avalanche destroyed the trail and I understand that someone and his nephew re-established that route. Although the trail is easy to follow now unlike a decade ago, it wouldn't hurt me if someone improved the route off the farside of the river where a big rootball is hard to navigate. There is some vine maple overgrowing the trail for a 100 yard section some 500' or so above the river. I understand there is also a particular alder patch around 3700' that is difficult and that just above that the blueberry bushes have overgrown the trail. This was a built trail and was abandoned years ago by the FS. At 4600' the trail was really built/established in the wrong place as it goes straight up a wallow along the stream. It should have been built crossing the rock slide just above the meadow and then working up and left through a few small trees to meet the trail as it comes back NE from the creek near 4800-4900'. Hmmm.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun Sep 19, 2010 4:00 pm 
A good thing to do if you want to see if the FS will restablish a trail is to contact the ranger stationand talk to their recreation person.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 8:09 am 
puzzlr wrote:
But I don't understand this (from someone else, not you)
Quote:
It's so disheartening to come in as a trail crew and have to make more cuts where someone has already cut just because they cut to about one foot wide, and of course the trail clearance is far wider.
When I clear out brush on my own land the first thing I do is make an initial narrow path through the overgrown section. That let's me see what I'm dealing with. How is this so "disheartening"?
It's disheartening because if the person who brushed it out in the first place had done it within the specs of the trail, the FS trailcrew could move on to another project, furthering the work done on the forest that season. So it's almost wasted work - not for a hiker, of course; but from what I'm reading, those who brush trails without the Forests' knowledge are wishing to claim that what they do is helping out the Forest Service. If you're going to help the Forest Service, then help. If you're going to work on a trail without permission of the Forest Service, at least do it within the specs if you're going to claim it's helping them. The width of the trail corridor depends on if it's a hiker only trail, or one that includes horse traffic, bikes, motorized use, etc. Trail corridor is above the trail as well as side-to-side. The volunteers who work under the agency of the FS know the specs.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 8:28 am 
What a crock of DUNG. Then can't keep up with what's growing over and falling apart from weather or ?? When I did Deer Creek Pass they were really happy and when I stopped in this summer to say hi @the Verlot R/S the first thing that said ( AGAIN ) was Thanks for brushing that trail out. If someone hadn't done the trail to Helena mines you play hell finding it.. I'm sure there's 100's of more trials that have gotten this free work and to the pleasure of most for doing it.... I always bust a branch or move a rock or try to channel water flow like lot's of others. That $150 fine is Crock.. Who the Hell could have the nerve to fine someone for that...

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 8:34 am 
Exactly, especially when you are doing a service for them. That is unless you get carried away.