Forum Index > Gear Talk > Mont-Bell down jackets--where can I try on one in Seattle?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Jan 06, 2011 11:13 pm 
I am looking at Mont-Bell down jackets online and would like to try them on since some folks say they run a little small. I haven't seen them at REI. Has anyone seen them for sale in Seattle or close by? I see that Feather Friends has a few MB jackets, but I am hoping to try on several choices if I can find them. Thanks, ~z~

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bushwa Thunderhooey

Bushwa Thunderhooey
PostThu Jan 06, 2011 11:30 pm 
Try Pro Mountain Sports (U District) as well as Feathered Friends.

How ridiculous and unrealistic is the man who is astonished by anything that happens in life. MARCUS AURELIUS ANTONINUS
volare

volare
PostThu Jan 06, 2011 11:48 pm 
You can also try Second Ascent in Ballard.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jan 07, 2011 1:03 am 
Second Ascent in Ballard has the biggest MB sales in the state, and generally have the best selection. (I am currently wearing my SECOND MB Thermawrap jacket. Love!!)

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Boots
Gone Kayaking

Boots
Gone Kayaking
PostFri Jan 07, 2011 6:10 am 
Bought mine at Second Ascent per Allisons suggestion. Great selection and price and provides a fric-ton of warmth.

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." -Helen Keller
Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...
PostFri Jan 07, 2011 7:38 am 
I bought my last one at Second Ascent. However, I believe Pro Mountain in the U District has the greatest selection. They also have some competing products there too that might LURE you away smile.gif

Cale Hoopes caledh@gmail.com
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Jan 07, 2011 8:35 am 
Thanks for all the suggestions. That's just what I need. Man, some of y'all are up early around here. ~z~

Boots
Gone Kayaking

Boots
Gone Kayaking
PostFri Jan 07, 2011 8:47 am 
To be honest, the last two sizable gear purchases I made were with Rainier Mountaineering in Ashford. They've had some good pricing, but what sold me was their customer care. They've been friendly, helpful and most importantly accessible. They've always been that way to us. Second Ascent is nice but the last time we were there, we found NO parking anywhere close by which was a bummer. However, the price and friendliness of the people there canceled out the parking gripe.

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." -Helen Keller
Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...
PostFri Jan 07, 2011 8:58 am 
Yeah, I live on the eastside and work downtown. So I gots to get up early so I beat the traffic and then go home early for the same reason. On the good side -- in the summer I can get to Tiger in less than 30 minutes and be on the trail by 3:45ish. smile.gif

Cale Hoopes caledh@gmail.com
b00

b00
PostFri Jan 21, 2011 11:08 pm 
i've purchased all my montbell gear at pro mountain sports. the service is outstanding, their knowledge is unparalleled. i try to buy as much as i can from our great local stores who are being squeezed by the both the economy and sizable online competition. if we don't support them today, they won't be there tomorrow when we want to try on some gear, get personal service or great advice! :>)

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostFri Jan 21, 2011 11:30 pm 
I bought my Montbell Down Jacket from Jim Nelson at Pro Mountain Sports. I have found that they actually run true to size. The one I bought has a removable hood and is as warm as I need it to be for pretty much anything around the N Cascades. Montbell is inexpensive compared with other brands producing similar high quality. I also have two Montbell Thermawraps, a Montbell backpack, and Montbell base layer (which PMS also carries). The Montbell base layer, although less expensive than Ice Breaker, is just as good. I am a Montbell convert!
To me, there is no other local shop as good as Pro Mountain Sports. Their knowledge about gear is second to none. up.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Jan 22, 2011 12:08 am 
I could not disagree more in comparing that shop to Second Ascent. In every way, a far better experience.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSat Jan 22, 2011 12:17 am 
Allison wrote:
I could not disagree more in comparing that shop to Second Ascent. In every way, a far better experience.
If you'll recall, you've already stated your opinion. I disagree, hence my above post.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Jan 22, 2011 12:26 am 
My first post on this discussion was not about which shop is better. My second one was.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat Jan 22, 2011 10:05 am 
Jim Nelson at Pro Mountain Sports is the person to see. Besides the fact that he was the first in the Seattle area to carry Mont-Bell, when you visit the shop you can be confident that you'll always get good advice from an expert on lightweight travel. He's the author of Cascade Classics I & II and has put up many FAs all over the range. I wouldn't trust anyone but Jim to steer me right. Plus he's a hell of a nice guy and is always willing to give you a deal.