Forum Index > Trail Talk > Big 4 Avalanche curiosity
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!
PostSat Dec 31, 2011 12:06 am 
I head up to the ice caves at least once a month. I usually don't head up as much in the winter as I have this year and was curious if anyone knows how far the avalanches usually come down the mountain. Today the avalanche debris was covering the trail right after the last foot bridge. I was a bit surprised as I thought this was sort of a "safe zone".
Ice caves with the boys 055
Ice caves with the boys 055
This is where the sign usually is that says not to enter the caves.
Ice caves with the boys 054
Ice caves with the boys 054
Ice caves with the boys 036
Ice caves with the boys 036
Ice caves with the boys 040
Cave is completely covered now. stuck.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Dec 31, 2011 12:23 am 
Have you not noticed all the trees that have fallen over almost always point away from the caves? Avalanche activity blew those down. The avalanche can still travel through the trees without knocking them down. So during a big event the Stilley river is your "safe zone" Right now its setting up for a big one.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!
PostSat Dec 31, 2011 1:29 am 
Thanks Hulk Smash. I guess I better stick to the riverside then frown.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Dec 31, 2011 7:22 am 
Pika, you do not have to "stick to the riverside" at Big Four during the winter. You can make informed choices about what risks you want to take. First, there's avalanche forecasts and warnings from the Northwest Avalanche Center. Here's the link for the Backcountry Avalanche Forecast (North of Stevens, West of the crest) That's the one for the area that includes Big Four. If forecast avalanche danger is low, the risk at Big Four is low, too. Or, you may decide that you'd like to go out and try to get a picture of an avalanche coming down. eek.gif We've quite a few people who do that out at Big Four (including hulksmash hmmm.gif ). The risks can still be minimized. All that bare ground in front of the Big Four cliffs is kept 'mown' by avalanches, but avanches that get out as far as the one you photographed, on that side of the area, are pretty rare.
On the westside, they're a lot more common.
Big Four, 2010-11 season, westside, debris from multiple avalanches.
Big Four, 2010-11 season, westside, debris from multiple avalanches.
Pan: 2010-11 westside avalanche debris and Big Four knoll
Pan: 2010-11 westside avalanche debris and Big Four knoll
However, in the middle is a spot that's just about as risk-free as it's possible to get.
View east, main avalanche cone showing above Mound of Venus.
View east, main avalanche cone showing above Mound of Venus.
Big Four knoll, the Mound of Venus, looking from the trail towards the cliff.
Big Four knoll, the Mound of Venus, looking from the trail towards the cliff.
2010-11 view east, showing Mound of Venus
2010-11 view east, showing Mound of Venus
That copse of trees on the crest of the knoll has not been touched by any avalanche in 40 or 50 years! .... . Want to view avalanches in relative safety? Go out till you cross that last bridge and then angle over to climb the knoll from behind. Work your way through the trees and, "Voila!", ringside seat. agree.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Dec 31, 2011 8:35 am 
The huge avalanches that can sweep the entire area at once are mostly in the spring thaw - March & April. The pineapple expresses can bring down a lot of snow during the winter too. Just keep an eye on the avalanche forecasts & the local temperatures & wind conditions. Since that side is so steep, there's always something coming down as long as there's snow there.

avalanche survivor

avalanche survivor
PostSat Dec 31, 2011 10:46 am 
Pikawhisperer, please be careful reading advice from amateurs on the internet. Even the professionals can't predict avalanches that accurately.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Dec 31, 2011 10:59 am 
Yes the big ones are rare. But until you learn more about avalanche weather predictions, don't go near.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Dec 31, 2011 11:11 am 
Is the Deer Creek gate closed now?

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Dec 31, 2011 12:03 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Yes the big ones are rare. But until you learn more about avalanche weather predictions, don't go near.
How did you learn, Brian? Why don't you explain that, so that someone interested in learning might follow your lead and do so. The "Just say no" approach doesn't work too well with drugs or sex ...... or much of anything else. Pikawhisperer strikes me as a very sharp, sensible lady. I think she'll take to the 'learning'.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!
PostSat Dec 31, 2011 12:22 pm 
Thanks Schroder and Scrooge. BTW it was nice to meet you at the potluck Schroder. As for Hulksmash, I am actually signed up for an avalanche awareness class this coming week. I am a very careful, usually informed person. I was just curious what other people knew about the area since it is one of my favorite places for an easy quick get out of the house adventure. Oh and Schroder the gate is not closed yet at Deer Creek. At least it wasn't yesterday. That's when I took those pictures. Scrooge thanks for your insight. I know you have a special place in your heart for the ice caves too smile.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Dec 31, 2011 12:38 pm 
Take an avalanche awareness course. There even available at REI. So you don't necessarily need to join the mounties. http://www.nwac.us/ is an excellent resource but by all means not a replacement for an assessment in field local conditions may vary. Of course digging a snow pit in the parking lot does not mean jack compared to 3/4ths the way up that hill. Now I've spent every day out side this week. With each band or showers making multiple layers of snow, temperature swings, even a (pseudo pineapple express) and high winds, and a big dump of snow at higher elevations. It's enough variation for me to question the wisdom of getting close. With out further investigation in the area.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Dec 31, 2011 5:37 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Now I've spent every day out side this week. With each band or showers making multiple layers of snow, temperature swings, even a (pseudo pineapple express) and high winds, and a big dump of snow at higher elevations. It's enough variation for me to question the wisdom of getting close. With out further investigation in the area.
Just one thing Brian: you've put down a whole list of things you know that can contribute to high avalanche danger. Perhaps that explains why you don't think further investigation is needed? doh.gif

touron

touron
PostSat Dec 31, 2011 5:48 pm 
Today it was a salami sandwich, banana, shortbread cookies, and Sees candy, an avalunch for which I was well prepared. Conditions tomorrow may be different. Quien sabe?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.