Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Feb 21, 2011 7:12 am 
puzzlr wrote:
... and I thought I'd add some pictures...
Exposed cable
Exposed cable
Yes, this is primary power cable, and typically carries voltage about 7,000 VAC. The "shield" seen spiraling around the cable is the ground side of the supply. It also discourages rodents from chewing through the insulation. Unless I KNEW where the source end was, and KNEW that it was locked out, I wouldn't touch it even with a dry stick.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Mar 14, 2011 12:08 am 
I went up the Cable Line Friday and saw the flat spot in question with the many logs. Nothing seems to have changed recently. While the logs are a potential slip hazard, they did enable me to skip across the large muddy area without getting wet. All the logs could be removed in about ten minutes by one person who didn't mind getting his hands dirty. This does look like an excellent site for a small project. An elevated half-log tread like those in several places on Cougar Mountain would be ideal.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostSun Apr 24, 2011 2:57 pm 
I was just up this way last evening. Saw a fellow cuttin in a drain to the mud hole just beyond the log choked mud hole. As far as the mud bog in question, there is plenty of rock just up the trail to use as fill. A rake and bucket is all that would be needed.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Apr 24, 2011 3:17 pm 
Good God! Has anybody notified the local power supplier about the exposed primary??

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostSun Apr 24, 2011 6:09 pm 
Token Civilian wrote:
I was just up this way last evening. Saw a fellow cuttin in a drain to the mud hole just beyond the log choked mud hole. As far as the mud bog in question, there is plenty of rock just up the trail to use as fill. A rake and bucket is all that would be needed.
I have been removing one log/hike for the last several weeks. As long as no one adds more it won't take long to have it empty, and then a little work with a shovel or pulaski will have it 80% fixed.

If not now, when?
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostSun Apr 24, 2011 6:11 pm 
kbatku wrote:
Good God! Has anybody notified the local power supplier about the exposed primary??
I've been hiking that trail since 1992 and this is by far (over a year) the longest I've seen any of it stay exposed. In the past they've shifted the trail or reburied or built steps within days of it becoming exposed. DO NOT TAKE THIS FOR FACT, but I suspect it's no longer carrying power and that's why it's not been addressed.

If not now, when?
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Apr 24, 2011 8:34 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
I've been hiking that trail since 1992 and this is by far (over a year) the longest I've seen any of it stay exposed. In the past they've shifted the trail or reburied or built steps within days of it becoming exposed. DO NOT TAKE THIS FOR FACT, but I suspect it's no longer carrying power and that's why it's not been addressed.
You can determine if it's hot or not (if you're going to be walking that way anyway) by placing an voltage "sniffer" close to the line. You can pick one up at the "Home Depot" type stores for around $15. I don't know close you have to hold it for a reading as I've never had the occasion to come in close proximity to primary line. I leave that to the guys who know how to safely deal with that kind of power, but I'd guess within 4-5 inches should light the sniffer if it's indeed live. However, personally I wouldn't go anywhere NEAR it. Leakage happens, and if it is live, there is a lot of power contained within. A LOT of power, and you most likely would not ever get a second chance.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostSun Apr 24, 2011 8:45 pm 
moonspots wrote:
You can determine if it's hot or not (if you're going to be walking that way anyway) by placing an voltage "sniffer" close to the line. You can pick one up at the "Home Depot" type stores for around $15.
Did this about a month ago. No light on the detector with direct contact. Checked the tester before and after on 110V at my house. Again, DO NOT take this as any sort of assurance that it's not live. I don't and I make it a point to not step on or near the cable. As someone else mentioned, if it is off/locked out, it could be energized at any moment, even if it has been locked out.

If not now, when?
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Apr 24, 2011 8:58 pm 
Now you did it, some tweaker will dig it up and sell it huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Apr 24, 2011 10:03 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
I have been removing one log/hike for the last several weeks. As long as no one adds more it won't take long to have it empty, and then a little work with a shovel or pulaski will have it 80% fixed.
And here I was thinking that people have been adding to it. I go up there every week. I will make it a point to throw one of the logs well off the trail. Some of them are really long!

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Apr 25, 2011 8:40 am 
Magellan wrote:
And here I was thinking that people have been adding to it. I go up there every week. I will make it a point to throw one of the logs well off the trail. Some of them are really long!
Thank you! Please make sure to place them where they won't cause water to pond. I've been dragging them about 75 yards down the trail and then tipping them over onto the downhill side of the trail, perpendicular to the trail and contour lines.

If not now, when?
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Apr 29, 2011 12:05 am 
Hide them for sure! There is lots of gravel just up the hill. I will encourage my tiger hikers to clear out those logs. Maybe I can haul a couple of buckets up there and just leave them until it's fixed.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostSun Sep 18, 2011 4:36 pm 
Slowly but surely the mudhole is emptying of logs. At least twice this summer some well-intended but uninformed person has gone out of their way to pile more logs in the spot. I finally pried the last big one loose on Thursday night, but it's too heavy for me to move to the pile by myself. If you are willing and can get any of the remaining ones loose, please help out and chuck them into the pile, which is down the trail a bit, where the old West Tiger 3 trail used to cross. Thanks! Loren

If not now, when?
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Sep 18, 2011 8:14 pm 
All I know is the old route that switchbacks throught that small bowl to the east of the thigh burning last steep stretch between the knife edgey flat and the one where the logs are, is nice and lonely now. wink.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Sep 18, 2011 8:43 pm 
I was getting ready to look for this thread and here it is up top. biggrin.gif I pulled about 20 out tonight. The last 6 will need some kind of tool to dig them free on an end so they can be pulled out. This needs to be done before the mudbog is in full swing and people start throwing logs in it again. I will see if I cant get a couple of 5-gallon buckets up there on thursday. I might even have time to bring a shovel that day!