Forum Index > Trail Talk > A plea to the self-appointed Cable Line trail fixers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 10, 2011 12:26 pm 
Pulaskis are the answer. The dig wonderful ditches and should you hit a tree root, flip over and chop it out.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Oct 10, 2011 1:00 pm 
ditto.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Oct 12, 2011 8:03 pm 
Found the buckets on the west side of the mudhole tonight. Two more loads of gravel dumped. The shovel is now under the buckets.

If not now, when?
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Oct 12, 2011 8:32 pm 
Awesome! Where the heck do I get a Pulaski? Not Lowes...

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Oct 12, 2011 11:49 pm 
Should be able to find a Pulaski...er Landscapers Axe at Lowes.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 13, 2011 7:14 am 
Good saw shops stock pulaskis. If not, google Madsen's and Chehalis and you'll find their site. They do internet/mail business and have a well deserved excellent reputation. I called them about buying a box to ship an axe to a friend who collects such stuff. They said to just come in and they'd help me. I did. They searched and searched, scratched their heads, and came up with a solution. I came home with a box that would work, for free. The axe was an old falling axe and was hard to find a fit, box-wise. Just down the road is another excellent saw shop, Service Saw, but they do not have a catalog. Should you be passing by, they also have pulaskis. Up north, in Sedro Wooley, Woods Logging would also have them. Caution: All of the above would be closed on Sundays.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostThu Oct 13, 2011 9:27 am 
What Hulk said - I purchased my personally owned Pulaski at the Lowes in Lynnwood (on 196th). Last time I was there a week or two ago, they had them in stock. Lowe's called them, as Hulk said, "Landscapers Axe" or something similar. That said, I've become a big fan of the pick mattock for heavy dirt work. WTA uses Pulaski's and Grub Hoes, while the PCTA purchased a bunch of pick mattock's. After using both, for heavy digging I find the pick mattock is superior, even if it is heavier (which is what makes it a superior digging implement - let the weight of the tool do the work). Another couple things I like about the pick mattock: One, the handles on them are as about as break proof as one can get on a digging tool (I busted a Pulaski in August on a PCTA work party). Two, the head can be knocked off (watch out you don't bash your self in the face with the handle) and the whole set up put in / on your pack easily. As far as roots go, if one keeps the mattock reasonably sharp, it slices through modest sized roots pretty well.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Oct 13, 2011 7:20 pm 
Two more buckets in tonight. I still need to get a laminated sign put up. It would be very helpful to get a few more folks helping out with one or two buckets/hike.

If not now, when?
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Oct 13, 2011 9:35 pm 
I'm a regular this time of year. I'll start helping out (next week).

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Oct 13, 2011 9:48 pm 
Umm...lissen up goons. Remember This is Not a Trail and what happened to it when everyone kept blabbing and doing stuff on it and how it's not nearly as fun now that It Is a Trail, complete with a benign name? Dummy up on the secret trail work. Exchange emails. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Oct 13, 2011 10:07 pm 
Quark wrote:
Umm...lissen up goons. Remember This is Not a Trail and what happened to it when everyone kept blabbing and doing stuff on it and how it's not nearly as fun now that It Is a Trail, complete with a benign name?
But they already have the trail for the masses namely the West Tiger 3 freeway. lol.gif

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostFri Oct 14, 2011 11:41 am 
Quark wrote:
Umm...lissen up goons. Remember This is Not a Trail and what happened to it when everyone kept blabbing and doing stuff on it and how it's not nearly as fun now that It Is a Trail, complete with a benign name? Dummy up on the secret trail work. Exchange emails. up.gif
Whoops! Yeah, we wouldn't want to tip anyone off about the trail that's been there for decades. It would be like blabbing about that sweet granite crag in Renton on some web board. D@mn! I did it again. smile.gif

If not now, when?

zimmertr
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Oct 14, 2011 11:48 am 
Unsanctioned trail maintenance / improvement is still a no-no. Doesn't have to be new tread to piss off people.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Oct 14, 2011 7:53 pm 
I really don't consider improving the backfill over the cables a no-no.

zimmertr
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Oct 17, 2011 5:45 pm 
Randy wrote:
I really don't consider improving the backfill over the cables a no-no.
Yeah, I'm not sure how filling a mudhole with gravel is a problem. We're not moving or adding to the trail or altering the vegetation, just eliminating a spot where water ponds. I understand that it's not maintained to DNR standards (as they found the resources to erect several signs indicating as much about 10 years ago), and that's one of the reasons I like it. All that's been done is removing a whole lot of branches and logs put in that spot by others and the addition of some gravel. No harm, no foul. By the way, the cable is exposed again just below one of the repairs made in the spring around 2200'.

If not now, when?