Forum Index > Trail Talk > A plea to the self-appointed Cable Line trail fixers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hutch

Hutch
PostTue Oct 25, 2011 7:33 pm 
Disappointed to find that the trail was closed today. The main Tiger trail doesn't do it for me when I'm looking for quick and dirty after work. Is that cable actually electrified? Because I'm pretty sure I stepped right next to it a couple weeks ago.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostTue Oct 25, 2011 7:39 pm 
It was closed? Do you know the reason?

JimK

JimK
PostTue Oct 25, 2011 7:46 pm 
It is "Closed Temporarily" due to the cable not being buried in one spot. Multiple yellow tapes across the bottom and the junctions with the Tiger 3 trail. Warning signs at each junction. I saw it on Saturday.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Oct 27, 2011 8:29 am 
I've been hiking on that trail for 20 years and I've never once seen it closed like this. Even when they rerouted a short lower section around a deep washout. Despite the warnings, I'm pretty sure that the cable is actually NOT exposed right now. I'm at a loss to explain why, after having been exposed many times and sometimes for long stretches over the last two decades, this action has been taken. Since it seems that the DNR is keeping tabs here, it would be really great if we could get an explanation and an planned course of action; the Issaquah Press reported that "...the closure could last 30 days or less." which doesn't really say anything.

If not now, when?
Hutch

Hutch
PostThu Oct 27, 2011 12:05 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
Despite the warnings, I'm pretty sure that the cable is actually NOT exposed right now.
I was there last week and can assure you that it was exposed. I'm just kind of shocked that it is actually electrified and an actual hazard, considering how long it appeared to have been exposed.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Oct 27, 2011 1:14 pm 
Hutch wrote:
I'm just kind of shocked that it is actually electrified and an actual hazard, considering how long it appeared to have been exposed.
For a real shock, pee on the exposed wire.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Oct 27, 2011 3:46 pm 
Maybe they will fix the drainage problems while they are up there. biggrin.gif

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostThu Oct 27, 2011 7:01 pm 
I came down the trail for the first time, early this Spring and the cable was clearly exposed

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Oct 27, 2011 7:59 pm 
It has been exposed for the last couple years, I assumed it was dead otherwise someone would be if they poked it with a treking pole eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Oct 27, 2011 10:28 pm 
I went up it tonight. It was pretty close to dark but it did not look like they have done anything.

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...
PostFri Oct 28, 2011 1:03 pm 
Anybody notice how DNR walled off parts of the cable trail with their fancy murder tape? I illegally (if possible) walked around em for my tuesday hike and saw NO SIGN of said cable. The damn thing has been exposed on and off since 2007 for gosh sakes. Ever since the big storms that eroded sections of the trail it's popped out. Why the heck now is DNR warning about "Exposed Electrical Cable". If it was dangerous does it really take 4 years to take action... And then, after you cover it shouldn't you take your warning tape & signs down? I didn't see the cable in any of the spots - looks like they've been precovered. Good to know my Discover Pass is going to pay for useless stewardship of a cable that anyone can avoid as long as they have vision. What's next? A sign on the haystack with caution tape that says "Dangerous Class 3 Terrain. Trail Closed."

Cale Hoopes caledh@gmail.com
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostFri Oct 28, 2011 2:31 pm 
Cale Hoopes wrote:
What's next? A sign on the haystack with caution tape that says "Dangerous Class 3 Terrain. Trail Closed."
Shhhhh! Don't give them any ideas. That said, it would be nice if they'd actually put some information about the closure on their web site, since the many signs all say to check there for more information (I did and there isn't).

If not now, when?
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Oct 28, 2011 5:11 pm 
You mean accurate, up-to-date information like on this Tiger trailhead sign?
Tiger TH
1 label
Tiger TH
1) "New" parking lot not marked 2) Land ownership is years out of date - big white square is not private now. 3) WT3 is a vista point with no label. WT1 and 2 are summits. 4) Rerouted WT3 trail not marked 5) Let's not even talk about how many other trail sections are missing (Poo-Poo Point via Chirico Trail!).

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Oct 28, 2011 10:29 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Tiger TH
1 label
Tiger TH
Is that no public access area where the logging operation is going on or was going on recently? I haven't been up in that area for quite a while. As the weather continues to go south I'm sure I'll be tromping around on Tiger a lot more.. lol.gif

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSat Oct 29, 2011 7:00 am 
I was over in the area last weekend and did not have / did not consult a guide book. I could not easily find the High School trailhead. I was sharp enough to poke around the high school but with all the security and protect our kids measures, I was not about to drive around inside the gates. It is a shame that such a highly used venue is not maintained. I tried the Railroad grade trail a month or so ago and turned back due to the horrible overgrowth of face high greenery.