Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Left lane campers.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu May 12, 2011 6:11 pm 
Linky chickenleg.gif prod.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!
PostThu May 12, 2011 6:18 pm 
It always cracks me up when dangerous law breakers cry and whine that harmless law breakers are stopping them from committing their offense. The moral outrage of one jerk against another, lesser jerk is hilarious. A pox on both their houses, the lane campers, and the speed demons. down.gif But the speed demons deserve a worse case of pox, because they are killers, whereas lane campers are just annoying jerks.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostThu May 12, 2011 6:23 pm 
It's about time. It's dangerous to clog up the freeway doing 57MPH in the passing lane. Not only that, it's illegal too. Some people just don't get it. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.100 Pay attention to #4 in the RCW link above.

Oarboar
Comically unhip

Oarboar
Comically unhip
PostThu May 12, 2011 7:14 pm 
Bravo! This is long overdue!

Sadly, right now I'm a poseur. Sigh.
KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostThu May 12, 2011 7:23 pm 
AWESOME!!!! I would favor a tax increase to get more cops doing this.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 12, 2011 7:34 pm 
about time

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu May 12, 2011 7:36 pm 
"One of the concerns for enforcing the law is aggressive drivers who get frustrated at the slower traffic in front of them and, as a result, dart from lane to lane to get by other cars." ^ SO true.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostThu May 12, 2011 8:20 pm 
Ron Judd had an anti-left-lane-camping article in the Times last year and he got more comments (mostly positive) than on anything he's ever written. The consensus, which confirms my experience, was that Washington and Oregon have the highest incidence of it in the country.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu May 12, 2011 8:25 pm 
That is a start, though I'd like to see LO work on educating the public about tailgating and improper lane changes. It seems the head check has gone the way of the dodo bird.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu May 12, 2011 8:27 pm 
Unlike most tickets for speeding this really is about safety. Good for them.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." ó Abraham Lincoln
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostThu May 12, 2011 9:09 pm 
CC wrote:
Ron Judd had an anti-left-lane-camping article in the Times last year and he got more comments (mostly positive) than on anything he's ever written. The consensus, which confirms my experience, was that Washington and Oregon have the highest incidence of it in the country.
I would somewhat agree having lived in various parts of the country. Personally, I think one reason is the number of on/off ramps due to the urban sprawl. A two lane road comes to mind...Highway 3 from Bremerton to Silverdale. The on/off traffic is generally heavy enough that most people I know will just stay left for a few mile stretch. I've seen it around a few other populated areas in Washington. Other states seem to have more of a parallel frontage/feeder road system (that I've seen). Another thing I can think of is (what Allison mentioned) tailgating. This state doesn't seem to like to use over/under-passes with a right lane exit as much as some others I've seen. So in order to get the left hand exit you know is coming up, you kind of have to secure a spot in the left lane early because all the tailgaters refuse to let someone into the left lane. "Ahhhh, the horror of allowing a vehicle in, it might cost me 3 extra seconds!" But even with all I just said...I still think Washington has the best drivers I've encountered (especially in rain).

ďArbolist? Look up the word. I donít know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, itís an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.Ē G.W. Bush
Spotly

Spotly
PostThu May 12, 2011 9:12 pm 
Excellent! There's plenty of jerks who are jerks just because they are but this will address some of agressive behavior closer to the root. I do think onemoremile makes some good points though...other than Washington having good drivers. I've driven in every state except for Alaska and Washington has always seemed to be some of the worst as far as tailgating, failing to use blinkers and overall selfishness. I pains me to say it but California drivers have an even better concept of sharing than we do. The worst by far though...Atlanta!

Phil

Phil
PostThu May 12, 2011 9:23 pm 
onemoremile wrote:
Another thing I can think of is (what Allison mentioned) tailgating. This state doesn't seem to like to use over/under-passes with a right lane exit as much as some others I've seen. So in order to get the left hand exit you know is coming up, you kind of have to secure a spot in the left lane early because all the tailgaters refuse to let someone into the left lane. "Ahhhh, the horror of allowing a vehicle in, it might cost me 3 extra seconds!"
On the other hand, tailgaters or not, I think it's better to just get in line for that exit you know is coming up, versus racing ahead of the others who are lining up, in order to make your last second merge... so you can go first? IOW "ahh, the horror of having to wait in line like everyone else". The Times ran a short article a few years ago about the hot spots where the 'last second mergers' were observed and in some cases ticketed, express lane off and on-ramps, the bridge from west seattle, and more. In a way reminds me of the folks who cut into the ferry lines. I'm glad there are serious restrictions on that.

onemoremile

onemoremile
PostThu May 12, 2011 10:07 pm 
Phil, I'm wondering if you thought my post was reading as I'm a last second racer merger? To clarify if that is the case....I'm not. I try to get over way ahead of time and will ride in the left lane so the string of tailgaters doesn't block me out. Not riding left for the entire travel, but for a few hundred yards...sure. Not sure about the whole state, but quite a few of the roads on the western side seem to be designed for about a quarter of the traffic.

ďArbolist? Look up the word. I donít know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, itís an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.Ē G.W. Bush
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostThu May 12, 2011 10:09 pm 
Spotly wrote:
Excellent! There's plenty of jerks who are jerks just because they are but this will address some of agressive behavior closer to the root. I do think onemoremile makes some good points though...other than Washington having good drivers. I've driven in every state except for Alaska and Washington has always seemed to be some of the worst as far as tailgating, failing to use blinkers and overall selfishness. I pains me to say it but California drivers have an even better concept of sharing than we do. The worst by far though...Atlanta!
Have you ever driven in the northeast? No offense but Washingtonians are the most polite group on the roads I've ever seen. It's Canadians that need to have their asses kicked.
onemoremile wrote:
But even with all I just said...I still think Washington has the best drivers I've encountered (especially in rain).
Are we talking about the same state? It rains and people here go 35 in a 55. That's not good - that's incompetent.