Forum Index > Gear Talk > Compressing down - how bad is it?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostMon May 23, 2011 8:16 pm 
Yes they suck. Yes you lose a lot of control not being able to turn up the flame or turn it off. Yes you only have 5-7 minutes of fuel and it's done. Despite those limitations I have come to embrace my alcohol stove If I can plan stuff so that I only have to get 2-3 cups of water boiling in order to cook dinner, I REALLY appreciate the space and weight savings for those trips when I carry stuff for 3 for 2-3 nights. I can see where if I were soloing I might have the same attitude. With an adult partner I'd have one of us carry my MSR stove. And some baileys for hot chocholate. And some other luxuries that I find it better to do without right now.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon May 23, 2011 9:28 pm 
TwoFortyJeff wrote:
And those of us that don't need all that stuff love our alcohol stoves!
Enjoy your dehydrated food! tongue.gif wink.gif

slickhorn

slickhorn
PostTue May 24, 2011 9:08 am 
It might also just be time to launder the bag. I try to do mine every year, after letting a nice 750 fill REI bag go unlaundered for about 5 years. I'd say it lost a good 8 degrees of warmth via losing loft. Laundering fully restored the loft and hey, it's good for the bag. Re alcohol stoves, it's definitely a style of cooking. I love mine though. On the Muir trail last year, we took 1 alky stove for 2 people. We even made quiche -- 45 minutes of low heat -- on an alcohol stove. I've fried up eggs, made pasta, cinnamon rolls, pancakes, whatever. It's not limited to dehydrated meals at all. For folks who need a little longer burn time or more temp control, I'd suggest taking a look at packafeather.com. That FireFly stove is amazing. works great. On multiday river trips, I like having a tiny alcohol stove so I can brew some tea or cocoa while I watch the sunrise without even leaving the next. break out the big guns for the group breakfast.

mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostTue May 24, 2011 1:36 pm 
Thanks for all the advice. I will compress on trips if I need to, and wash it once a yaer or so. Also that alky stove link looks very interesting slick. I never saw that one before.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue May 24, 2011 11:03 pm 
slickhorn wrote:
Re alcohol stoves, ...For folks who need a little longer burn time or more temp control, I'd suggest taking a look at packafeather.com. That FireFly stove is amazing. works great.
Did you mean the "FeatherFire" model? That is the first alcohol stove I've seen that I'd consider owning. I love my Snowpeak Gigapower canister stove and it will still boil water faster than the alcohol stove, but that alcohol stove looks like it would work just fine if you're not in a hurry and not having to carry fuel canisters around would be nice.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed May 25, 2011 12:09 am 
mbtigger wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. I will compress on trips if I need to, and wash it once a year or so.
Here is how you do that.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
slickhorn

slickhorn
PostWed May 25, 2011 8:21 am 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Did you mean the "FeatherFire" model?
My bad -- yes that's the one. Really quite versatile. Might lack the high temp punch of a white gas or a canister stove, but the simmer control is nuts. very low even heat is possible. also very stable. If anyone wants to play with one, I'm sure an Alki stove party picnic can be arranged.

Traildad

Traildad
PostThu May 26, 2011 4:00 pm 
I have a Featherfire but the darn thing is so cute and intriguing I haven't been able to take it to the wilderness and beat it up yet smile.gif

Life is short so live it well.
sens
ninjaVadrouille

sens
ninjaVadrouille
PostFri Jan 15, 2021 2:00 pm 
Hello everybody! m kinda new to UL backpacking , and i apreciate a lot to travel all arround your forum, full of informations, thank you for that! up.gif I'm reviving an old thread because i'm very interested about new experiences right now... I bought a sleeping bag Marmot yolla Brolly 30, and one more time the the stuff sack it came with was real loose... So, i bought a strong compression bag, (6L->2L) i can highly compress my sleeping bag in the compressing bag with really high impact (very high compression), it's a bit hard a long to compress but it passed hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif i find it very SMART, but as i'm doing that only when i go hiking, should i really avoid to do that, to not kill my new sleeping bag? This is a very paintfull question right now because i'm searching an answer everywhere on the web, but at the moment i found only very rare guesses... As you can see, is high compressed dizzy.gif I estimate half the size of the original bag. . . Here some description of the Yolla Bolly 30° Sleeping Bag:
Quote:
Product Weight: 2lbs 5oz (1050g) Main Fabric: 20d 100% Nylon Mini Ripstop 1.1 oz/yd Secondary Fabric: 30d 100% Nylon Plain Weave 1.18 oz/yd Lining Fabric: 20d 100% Nylon Taffeta 1.1 oz/yd Insulation Type: Down Insulation Material: 650+ Fill Power Down with Down Defender Insulation Fill Power: 650 Fill Weight: 12oz (340g)
Any ideas? tips? advices? experiences about that? I writed today to the marmot contact services, for more informations, of course if i find something i will come back to you all with infos! Thank you a lot in advance!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 15, 2021 3:39 pm 
Good question. One would think that extreme compression might damage the loft, but not sure if it would as long as it's for a short period of time. I just use a huge pack, a Gregory Baltoro 70 liter, and it has a built in sleeping bag compartment in the bottom. On say a 3-5 day backpack, I will definitely have plenty of room and my pack weight will start at about 35+lbs...but that's with luxuries such as booze, fishing gear, etc.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
sens
ninjaVadrouille

sens
ninjaVadrouille
PostMon Jan 18, 2021 12:19 am 
Thank you for your experience, Chief Joseph! On the way, i received an answer from Marmot Customer Service, very interesting answer.
Quote:
Thank you for reaching out to us at Marmot. NO, this will be perfectly fine to have it tightly compressed while you out on your hiking adventure. This is just fine for the sleeping bag and then once you are back home you can keep it layed out either under your bed or somewhere that works for you.
It's awesome to know that... and nice quickly support from Marmot.. up.gif cool.gif

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jan 18, 2021 9:51 pm 
Dave used to really squeeze those bags. He could really pack em in! You could always hear him cussing as he packed em up in the morning but he could really get a bag down small.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 18, 2021 10:03 pm 
Put it in the dryer occasionally to loft the down up, makes it as warm as it can be.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 18, 2021 10:03 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Dave used to really squeeze those bags. He could really pack em in! You could always hear him cussing as he packed em up in the morning but he could really get a bag down small.
This entire post is a euphemism.

Franco

Franco
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 2:33 pm 
Sens, looking at the photo in the compression bag it apperars that there is still a lot of compression that could be applied BUT a (possibly...) better way of doing it is to put the sleeping bag back into the original bag (if lighter, it probably is...) and then shove that at the bottom of the pack and let the rest of the gear compress it . That way it takes the shape of availiable space without creating empty spaces around its self . To get this, imagine filling the pack with water as opposite to filling it with balls. BTW, down will be compromised when overly compressed when it's dirty from sweat/drooling/body oils, however not a problem when clean.