Forum Index > Trip Reports > Metolius River, OR, Camping Trip May 25-30, 2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 10:48 pm 
Throughout my childhood, we camped on Mother’s Day Weekend along the Metolius River near Sisters, OR.
Metolius River scene
Metolius River scene
Aunts and uncles, cousins and grandparents all joined together for a long weekend of enjoying the outdoors. I’m not sure how the moms all felt about their special weekend being used for camping, but the kids sure loved the times we had there. Now my cousins have kids of their own, and the family has started trying to get to the Metolius together again. We moved the date to Memorial Day Weekend.
Camp
Camp
This year I was able to go down early with the kids and Papa and set up camp to save space for the rest of the family. My Aunt and Uncle came down Thursday, my cousin and his wife and children came Friday. My brother and his family brought my Mom on Friday night, and another cousin brought his wife and daughter for the day on Saturday. Our passel of kids joined together and ran and rode bikes and played hard. The adults sat around the campfire and tried to keep the kids out of trouble. Highlights of the trip include: The weather. It was cold. We all drove through snow coming over Santiam Pass. Black Butte was covered in snow. Temps got down in the 30s most nights, dipping below 29 degrees Saturday. We had alternating rain and sun, clouds, sleet, hail, and wind. Thankfully, Papa had a trailer we could go to for refuge (and the others in our group had tent trailers with heaters.) I was in a tent with the kids. I had gotten them new sleeping bags (the REI Polar Pod men’s short for Gabe, and the Deuter Starlight EXP for Annika.) I was impressed by them both, as the kids were both warm enough most nights, and on the coldest were fine with an extra layer and a blanket inside. I, on the other hand, needed several extra layers and blankets inside my 25-year-old synthetic monster. Despite the cold temps and changeable weather, I still managed to get a mild sunburn on my face and hands. The kids. There are 6 cousins, 3 older and 3 younger, plus a two-year-old. They had so much fun together.
We took a little hike along the trail that runs up and down the river
We took a little hike along the trail that runs up and down the river
The kids playing all around the rocks in our campground - making nests, hideyholes, and other kid creations.
The kids playing all around the rocks in our campground - making nests, hideyholes, and other kid creations.
Papa had gotten bikes for both my kids, and Annika learned how to ride with training wheels. Around and around the campground we went, as she learned how to pedal, use the brakes, and go around corners. But Gabriel – this kid amazed us all. He had ridden a bike with training wheels when he was younger, but we had never gotten him a bigger bike, and it had been a few years since he had tried to ride. We lowered his seat all the way down so he could touch the ground with his feet, feeling secure. We taught him how to use his feet to balance and run around like it was a balance bike. Then he got the courage to start trying to pedal, and before we knew it, he was joining the other kids riding around the campground. What a big grin he had! I was so proud of him – it took a bit of encouragement, but he learned to ride a bike without training wheels.
Gabriel riding a bike!
Gabriel riding a bike!
Annika bike riding!
Annika bike riding!
Big, warm campfires, with S’mores. ‘Nuf said. (Thanks to Sarbar for her recipe for maple syrup marshmallows!) The flowers. They were just starting to come out with the late spring we’ve been having, but I truly enjoy poking around and seeing what I can find.
This was on the west side, at Fisherman's Bend, where we stopped to use the Facilities.
This was on the west side, at Fisherman's Bend, where we stopped to use the Facilities.
This grows all over in the area.
This grows all over in the area.
Saskatoon
Saskatoon
These were in bloom all over.
These were in bloom all over.
We found this when we went to look for wood
We found this when we went to look for wood
Pretty yellow flower
Pretty yellow flower
Arrowleaf Balsamroot
Arrowleaf Balsamroot
These formed a carpet around our campsites near the river
These formed a carpet around our campsites near the river
Yellow violet
Yellow violet
Look closely - it's hiding in the middle
Look closely - it's hiding in the middle
These little guys were all over in the sage brush
These little guys were all over in the sage brush
The Birds. Ospreys, an eagle, song sparrows, common yellowthroats, and yellow warblers, swallows, Stellar’s Jays – there were so many wonderful birds filling the air. I found the remains of a nest of some sort, including an egg shell, around a huge old Ponderosa Pine tree near camp.
Annika collected a bunch of peanuts one of the cousins was throwing to a jay, and put them all in a "nest" for the birds to come get.  The bird came down, and chipmunks soon discovered the stash, much to her delight.
Annika collected a bunch of peanuts one of the cousins was throwing to a jay, and put them all in a "nest" for the birds to come get. The bird came down, and chipmunks soon discovered the stash, much to her delight.
Remains of the Egg
Remains of the Egg
Bird Watching
Bird Watching
Just being with family. I got to spend a lot of time with my Dad, and got to see my brother and cousins, whom I only get to see once or twice a year. It’s so fun to see the kids as they grow up, and for all of our kids to get together to play.
Feeding the fish at the fish hatchery
Feeding the fish at the fish hatchery
The Metolius River is one of those Happy Places for me – a place that just feels good, beautiful and amazing. Plenty of adventure, places to sit, scenery, and of course, the river itself, rushing by.
This is the life.
This is the life.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostFri Jun 03, 2011 2:11 pm 
Looks like a great family trip - even though it was pretty darn cold for May!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message